Subject: Has Anyone Tried Multiple Monsters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Beckner
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of trying out a multi-player game, with more than one monster. We'll probably have 3 or 4 players, so my idea is to have one human player and the rest monsters, and multiplying the human point total by the number of monsters (3 monsters at 30 pts. each, human player 132). Each monster would be trying to reach the 40 pt. victory level, while the human player tries to keep them all from that level. Has anyone tried something like this? Would the human player be more powerful, since the monsters would likely fight each other as well as the human?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This should certainly be tried, it could be awesome! Share what you try and what you learn. Here are a couple things off the top of my head to watch out for...

Three monsters and a triple strength defense sounds great, and if the human player must keep *all* the monsters from reaching the goal to win then the defense should be fairly split between the monsters. If the monsters attack each other at all, however, they hand the humans an advantage. So now the monsters are racing each other instead of fighting each other. If they score points for damaging each other that partially compensates: they're helping the humans but also helping themselves. I would be tempted to make the points they score for attacking each other pretty generous to encourage monster fights, which might even motivate the humans to keep the monsters apart, but the game is probably too compact for that kind of subtlety.

The other thing to watch out for is the force/space ratio. One of the problems for the human is having his units in the right places - this effectively reduces the size of the human force, since some of it will always be late to the party. With three monsters everywhere is the right place, and the human forces will be more efficient.

You may also find that some monster powers are more or less effective in this situation.

So I'd say take 10% or so off the human forces, let the monsters score for attacking each other, play three or four games switching off monsters and which player takes the humans, and see what you learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Beckner
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. Great ideas about monsters scoring for attacking each other, that should definitely increase the mayhem. I'm going to try this hopefully this weekend, and I'll post the results here for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruiner of Things
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll need multiple copies of the game. There's only about 72 strength points worth of human units in one copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Beckner
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making a bigger map, and we're going to use some pieces from Fortress America and Monsters Menace America, so we should be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vaughan
msg tools
designer
Very cool. I have the game and Fortress America. Please let me know how your revised game plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Beckner
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted in Variants about how it all went down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.