Subject: Attacking and Defending rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried out this game the first time, and I'm trying to grasp the strategies behind attacking and defending.

If I am attacked, I can

* Try to kill off the attackers.
* If I can't kill off the attackers because they are immune, I can
** Absorb damage and discard a card, unless the attacker is brutal
** Use presence to play an ability
** Not defend, but use that unit to attack instead

Early in the game, burying a unit to absorb damage seems like a bad idea since it's better to use that strength over multiple turns. Midgame, it may be worth burying small units for the extra fate card to absorb damage. Endgame, it's better to let a unit die (even to a brutal attacker) than it is to lose your last castle.

Any tips from people who are more familiar with this style of game? When do I want to all-out attack and when do I want to save some defenders? Do I want to attack early in the Summer or late?

Also, I found that battle cards don't get played much because they cost a battle turn (something I'm not used to in other games). If I play an ability, my opponent will have another unit attack me before I can attack back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:
I tried out this game the first time, and I'm trying to grasp the strategies behind attacking and defending.

If I am attacked, I can

* Try to kill off the attackers.
* If I can't kill off the attackers because they are immune, I can
** Absorb damage and discard a card, unless the attacker is brutal
** Use presence to play an ability
** Not defend, but use that unit to attack instead

That pretty much sums it up.

karat wrote:
Early in the game, burying a unit to absorb damage seems like a bad idea since it's better to use that strength over multiple turns. Midgame, it may be worth burying small units for the extra fate card to absorb damage. Endgame, it's better to let a unit die (even to a brutal attacker) than it is to lose your last castle.

Any tips from people who are more familiar with this style of game? When do I want to all-out attack and when do I want to save some defenders? Do I want to attack early in the Summer or late?

So, my opinion on this, is that these decisions are where the challenge in the game lies. There is no right answer to your question, because it depends on many issues. An early summer attack before the other play can bring in reinforcements can be the exact right thing to do, on the other hand, binging in reinforcements of your own before attacking might make that attack more effective.

Being spent and a sitting duck for the other player is dangerous, so you always have to weigh that into any attack, early or late.

Defending is is generally a lower risk option, as you are not compelled to lose units, but can force you into decisions that you had hoped to avoid when assigning. And sacrificing a hero can be right at any time (or conversely wrong). I will often be weighing up my opponent's options for bringing more heroes into play that turn, as well as their overall food situation in terms of getting more heroes out.

The amount of food and castles on the table can all affect this decision.

I have found losing an early castle is not always a game-deciding loss. It is more about sustaining a tempo throughout each turn.

karat wrote:
Also, I found that battle cards don't get played much because they cost a battle turn (something I'm not used to in other games). If I play an ability, my opponent will have another unit attack me before I can attack back.

I use a lot of battle cards, any that remove presence can be of value, and many of the ones that boost strength also engage the hero anyway. However, I will say this. My take when I speak to people is that you really have to consider the whole turn as your battlefield. Battle actions are a special subset that you can use during that turn, in certain circumstances. But the nuances of timing and use of attacks, battle actions and summer and autumn actions, is where the game play skill of the game lies. I have seen games regularly won on lost as much on the timing of things as the actual cards in hand.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Har1equin wrote:
many of the ones that boost strength also engage the hero anyway.

So they do. I've failed to notice that and didn't play them because I'd rather engage. Nice to know that I can do both.

However, this means I don't have cards for raiding or absorbing damage. Hand management is really crucial, as it's easy to run out of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.