23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendation for a 3-player-Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jörg Jörgensen
msg tools
Hey guys,

I'd like to ask for a recommendation for a friend of mine. He's a beginner in board games and enjoyed playing 7 Wonders (and Risk) already. I have some criteria and I would appreciate any hint. Thanks!

- Best with 3 players (or at least good with 3 players)
- not too complex rules, but strategic ambitious anyway
- not too long to play (perfect would be max. 60 minutes)
- purchasable in Germany (max. 40 Euro)

Possible subjects could be an adaption of a computer game or anything associated with "cooking". He also likes Mangas and fantasy settings.

But, as the example of 7 Wonders shows, the fun factor is of capital importance, while the setting ist only second-rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say give Nexus Ops a look. It hits all your criteria and should appeal to you're Risk loving friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Homesteaders works, although unsure about availability. It's a great game at all player counts and plays in the time span

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHRIS HALVORSON
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy! Great game for 3. Not too Complicated with great choices and game play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have been looking for 3 player games, and here's the result of my search:
König von Siam A really deep and fast game that's best with 3 players
The Bottle Imp 3 player climbing game
China may be hard to get
Eminent Domain good game for newer players. you need at least 5 plays to fully appreciate it. very tight games
Dice Town decent with 3. this game is a great fun game for new player and is expandable to 6 players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:

In my experience, this doesn't play within an hour.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Despres
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Saints are 4-4!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game isn't Risk-like at all, but The Road to Canterbury is only a 2-3 player. Pretty good, fairly quick. And who doesn't want to be a confessor causing people to sin for one's own profit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation has simple rules but very varied games and it is possible to climb to victory from the last place. Plays in about an hour with 3 players. Some prefer to play Innovation with 2, we have not tried with 4 players. German version exists, I'm not sure of availability (the IEllo's English version was sold out at least a while back).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
China - Once you know the rules--which are very easy--you'll be able to play two games in 60 minutes. And that's no geeky underestimation of time. My family always laughs at the playtimes they put on boxes, but not with China. It's an incredibly quick game, and it offers a lot of interesting decisions with a very simple ruleset. It's also best with 3, but still great with 4 and 5, IMO.

Also, here's a GeekList you might find helpful:

Games that play best with 3 players
(FYI, Web of Power and China are essentially the same game.)

And here's a recent recommendation thread asking the same thing you are:

Best games for 3 players?

FWIW, most games that will be recommended on this thread will not be truly playable in 60 minutes or less. For example, I love Stone Age with 3 players. But...set up and take down are long. Players have to resolve their dice rolling one-by-one, which takes a long time per round, especially towards the end of the game when everyone has a bunch of hard-working, new babies. With 3 players, a more realistic expectation is around 2 hours, even after players know the game.

Geeks love to underestimate their play times. I have the tendency myself when people ask me, "How long is it going to take?", but I try to be more realistic as much as possible. It's better to under-promise and over-deliver than the opposite.

Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going off of strategic, but not too many rules, and your friends like of Risk, I would say Small World is an easy recommendation. It has different maps for every player count. Small World Underground if you don't mind a few more rules, but more variance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrea melegari
Italy
parma
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
San Marco a fav.

Highly reccomended:

Santa Cruz
The Palaces von carrara
In the year of the dragon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All deck-building games I know of work really well with 3-players, although they usually require you to purchase at least one expansion for the "complete" experience. My best three-player games are Nightfall, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, Dominion, and Ascension: Storm of Souls.

Innovation was a good suggestion, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Speaking of deckbuilders, Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) would be perfect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ticket to ride Nordic countries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's still available, Arkadia is a good option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For Cooking theme, A la carte is a nice one. Rather lighnt and not really strategically ambitious, though.

Good with 3 and with more strategy to it, but still under 1 hour:

Rapa Nui
Dominion
Mesopotamia
Yspahan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I can't believe I have the opportunity to mention this old favorite for the second time today: The Bottle Imp. It is a very cool twist on trick-taking card games. It is great with three players. It is strategic on a per hand basis, but less so per game. I believe it is a German game and may in fact only be printed in a German edition today (although other than the rules, there is no particular language requirement). It should be inexpensive as it is really just a small deck of cards, and you can read the wonderful Robert Louis Stevenson short story on which it is based online for free. You can even try the game online http://www.onlinebrettspiele.de/flaschenteufel/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Overton
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion.

It might seem really obvious and half of BGG might be sick of it by now, but if he's new to gaming, his first Deckbuilder will blow his mind. Might as well start where it all began.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul virgo
United Kingdom
brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brattle wrote:
Dominion.

It might seem really obvious and half of BGG might be sick of it by now, but if he's new to gaming, his first Deckbuilder will blow his mind. Might as well start where it all began.

boooo.... Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin for the win...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Jörgensen
msg tools
What a coincidence. We just decided to purchase Thunderstorm Advanced yesterday. Many thanks to all of you, we get some really nice ideas.

Unfortunately some games aren't (or are no longer) purchasable in Germany. That hurts - because some of them like Bottle Imp sounds really cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good choice!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tan shiyang
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Seasons never been mentioned!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.