Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Self
United States
California
flag msg tools
Morning everyone,

Yet another question...

WE will not use Ships in Flames for our WIFFE game as the counter clutter is just too nuts. However, we were wondering (actually one of the players did) if we could use the SiF Convoy counters only.

Is that possible or will it somehow unbalance the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Charlie
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, gosh, if only there were someone who knew this game back-to-front to answer this question. Someone who's icon might be a marionette, possibly the former ruler of a Stalinist state. Oh, well!! I guess we're outta luck!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
canuckdude wrote:
Morning everyone,

Yet another question...

WE will not use Ships in Flames for our WIFFE game as the counter clutter is just too nuts. However, we were wondering (actually one of the players did) if we could use the SiF Convoy counters only.

It's possible; I recommend it. I hate having convoys come in chunks of 5... You should still count 1-5 convoy points as one ship though for combat purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
canuckdude wrote:
Morning everyone,

Yet another question...

Not to hijack Wendell's answer thread, but here are a few more things to consider:

1) There is an optional rule about CONVs in WiF Classic that would need some tweaking...is the convoy's defense 5 or 10?

2) One odd but overlooked point about SiF convoys is that the convoys from minors belong to that minor, whereas in WiFFE vanilla they belong to the controlling major power...so you would have to house rule that.

3) Also, there is an optional in SiF involving tankers, which would also require a ruling...

4) Also, also, since damage in SiF is about half of what it is in WiFFE Classic, you would lose fewer convoys that you otherwise might in a Sif game. That's pro-Allied, I think.

5) Also, also, also, optionals that require convoys for supply would be easier with this (LoS supply specifically)

6) Finally, from a strategic point of view, there would be a few more convoy points available, along with fewer subs, so the net effect should be slightly pro-convoy countries, and slightly pro-Allied, but specifically better for the CW, US, Japan, and Italy (in that order).

So, definitely doable, but requiring a bit of thought and balancing with other optionals.

Just my 2 cents worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
philreh wrote:
canuckdude wrote:
Morning everyone,

Yet another question...

Not to hijack Wendell's answer thread, but here are a few more things to consider:

1) There is an optional rule about CONVs in WiF Classic that would need some tweaking...is the convoy's defense 5 or 10?

2) One odd but overlooked point about SiF convoys is that the convoys from minors belong to that minor, whereas in WiFFE vanilla they belong to the controlling major power...so you would have to house rule that.

3) Also, there is an optional in SiF involving tankers, which would also require a ruling...

4) Also, also, since damage in SiF is about half of what it is in WiFFE Classic, you would lose fewer convoys that you otherwise might in a Sif game. That's pro-Allied, I think.

5) Also, also, also, optionals that require convoys for supply would be easier with this (LoS supply specifically)

6) Finally, from a strategic point of view, there would be a few more convoy points available, along with fewer subs, so the net effect should be slightly pro-convoy countries, and slightly pro-Allied, but specifically better for the CW, US, Japan, and Italy (in that order).

So, definitely doable, but requiring a bit of thought and balancing with other optionals.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good points though tankers are from Convoys in Flames not Ships in Flames, so no need to worry about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Self
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ok, thanks guys.

I assumed it was as simple as using the counters but I see that like many things in WiF it is not! lol

We will stick to 5-10 CONV markers and make do.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you are really NOT into naval aspects of WW II you are missing a heck of a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.