15 Posts

Level 7 [Omega Protocol]» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mission 1: Co-Located Spawn/Objective rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wartopia Wartopia
msg tools
mbmbmb
In Mission 1 the set up diagram shows enemy spawn passages co-located with potential objective but the instructions are not clear on how to handle this. Since there are four room card stacks each of three cards we assume the intention is to set up all four enemy spawn passages at the start of the game. Otherwise, it would be obvious which of the four rooms contain objectives due to the lack of spawn passages.

Question: when the office or lift is revealed in a given room how does one handle the enemy spawn passage at that point? We assumed the passage is removed and replaced by the objective and that until that point is reached the enemy passage can be used to spawn clones. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Juri
Germany
M√ľnchen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I put the spawn points in play, when the room got explored. So, if it was an objective room, then there was no spawn point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wood
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Do you mean the enemy passages or do you mean the room cards like 'recon patrol'?

If you mean the passages it says on the map for mission 1 will be placed in objective zones for rooms without objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I understand it, once the room is discovered and you reveal the room cards, if the room has the Office or the Elevator, then you don't put a Enemy Passage in that room. Otherwise, you do put an Enemy Passage in the room. So at the end of the game, two rooms will have Enemy Passages, the other two will have either the Elevator or the Office in it.

Also, the Elevator A tile goes where the Enemy Passage would have been placed (i.e. on the edge of the room), which is why the mission diagram shows a 2x2 sized space.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selby Secret
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
So enemy passageways aren't even placed until the room is revealed?

I have a question as well. I've been flicking through the mission book and alot of the missions (including mission one) seem to tell you to make less stacks of room cards than there are actual rooms.

In mission one for example it says to make 5 room card stacks but by my count there are 6 rooms in the mission?

The rules say to place a stack of room cards in each room. Where am I going wrong here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selby Secret
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Think I figured it out myself actually. It's not per tile. A room can actually multiple tiles and is just the space between two different door spaces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wartopia Wartopia
msg tools
mbmbmb
A room is defined by doors, not tiles. So a room might consist of one or two room tiles and even some tiles that look like corridors. The "borders" of the room extend to the line formed by the door.

re: the question I originally asked, we played mission 1 again last night. I was the Overseer and my sons were commandoes with two figures each. We played the game so that enemy spawn passages were not placed until the room was explored and the "clear" card revealed. It worked just fine.

I arranged the doors and room cards to trigger crisis mode asap while also blocking the commando's progress as much as possible. It nearly worked.

The boys triggered crisis mode while still in the first room of the map but the objectives were on opposite corners of the map layout and the route to the office was blocked by gas and enemies. Then my son's recon guy found the Stimulants investigating card in the FIRST room. Between the stimulants card, his countermeasure guy's "adrenaline" sump strategy, and his recon guy's speed and survivalist ability I couldn't stop him. I managed to put four wounds on recon guy but then ran out of adrenaline (the countermeasure guy's adrenaline-sucking abilities are devastating).

If not for the Stimulant card he would have been stuck near the objective surrounded by enemies and killed. Instead he managed to run down the hall and escape wounded in a hail of gunfire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wartopia wrote:

re: the question I originally asked, we played mission 1 again last night. I was the Overseer and my sons were commandoes with two figures each. We played the game so that enemy spawn passages were not placed until the room was explored and the "clear" card revealed. It worked just fine.

This is the correct way to do it - the Commandos don't know whether the room has an objective or an enemy passage until the room is explored and the relevant tile is placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebly wrote:
So enemy passageways aren't even placed until the room is revealed?

That's what I gather. On pg 9 of the rulebook, it states, "[Enemy] Passages in hidden rooms are not placed until the room is revealed." This tells me that you don't put down the enemy passages until a door to the room is open. Another reason for this is that the Enemy Passage is also the Objective location of that room. If that room has an Objective, you put it instead of the passage.

For example, in mission 1, if that far left room has no objective, then touching the far wall you would put the enemy passage. But say that room had the Office, then in that space on the far wall you would put the Office tile instead of an enemy passage.

Quote:
I have a question as well. I've been flicking through the mission book and alot of the missions (including mission one) seem to tell you to make less stacks of room cards than there are actual rooms.

Check out pg 8 of the rulebook. It states, "The maps for LEVEL 7 [OMEGA PROTOCOL] missions are divided into rooms by the placement of door markers." So in Mission 1, there are only 5 rooms, since there are only 5 sections blocked off by doors. Apparently, "room" does not mean "tile". A room can be made up of multiple tiles.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wartopia wrote:

The boys triggered crisis mode while still in the first room of the map but the objectives were on opposite corners of the map layout and the route to the office was blocked by gas and enemies.

How were you able to do that? I didn't think the Crises was triggered on the first map until both objectives were found (or turn 8 was hit). I'm still new to the game so could be wrong...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebly wrote:
Think I figured it out myself actually. It's not per tile. A room can actually multiple tiles and is just the space between two different door spaces?

That is correct

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Wartopia wrote:

The boys triggered crisis mode while still in the first room of the map but the objectives were on opposite corners of the map layout and the route to the office was blocked by gas and enemies.

How were you able to do that? I didn't think the Crises was triggered on the first map until both objectives were found (or turn 8 was hit). I'm still new to the game so could be wrong...

-shnar

I'm assuming that one of the objectives was off to the left of the first room and explored first, and then the next room to be explored contained the Ambush card, which opened the next room along as well (the far corner). Therefore, assuming the objectives were in these rooms, the Crisis Point would be reached before any of the Commandos moved beyond the first room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, Ambush card. Yeah, I can see that now.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wartopia Wartopia
msg tools
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Wartopia wrote:

-shnar

Yes, correct.

I placed the office in the objective zone directly "north" of the commando deployment. The lift was due "east".

So they opened the first door from their spawn area and then two additional doors which revealed the two objectives on turn 2 or 3 thus trigging crisis mode very early.

I also placed the ambush card in the room due east and the faulty intel card in the north-east card which gave me a spawn bonus in that room.

I also used the locked, jammed, and zap doors as those first three doors and gas in the room beyond the first door from the commando spawn. Thus the commandos were slowed by the doors as they failed a couple of test rolls and the gas limited their choice of commandos which could head to the office w/o taking damage (only the recon guy with Survivalist did so).

I could have won but the Recon guy found the stimulant card in the very first room. With the Countermeasure Sump commando as back up and with the stimulant card he managed to run to the office and back down the corridor pretty fast. I put 4 wounds on him and nearly put a fifth wound on him but missed the shot with a seeker. I was out of adrenaline at that point and we calculated he would make the exit between his own adrenaline and with help from the countermeasure sump guy.

The other commandos were concentrated in that first room too and it looked like it was going to be easy for them to exit before I could do anything about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wartopia Wartopia
msg tools
mbmbmb
FearLord wrote:
shnar wrote:
Wartopia wrote:

-shnar

I'm assuming that one of the objectives was off to the left of the first room and explored first, and then the next room to be explored contained the Ambush card, which opened the next room along as well (the far corner). Therefore, assuming the objectives were in these rooms, the Crisis Point would be reached before any of the Commandos moved beyond the first room.

Yup. All they had to do was open two doors just beyond the first door.

My 11 year old played overseer in our first game and we realized that he hadn't made good use of the door and room cards.

A very attractive feature of the game for the Overseer player is the need to design a Virtual Machine using the door and room cards. Door cards can be "wasted" and room cards can be "linked" in a way. For example, the ambush card is great for making tricky cascading effects with other rooms.

Unlocked doors should be reserved for areas that the overseer will be allowed to unlock anyway after crisis mode. The locked/jammed doors are useful for delaying the commandos and generating adrenaline for the Overseer through failed test rolls. They also buy time for the overseer to build his forces.

When I lost last night I had every enemy on the table available to me by turn three or four using this strategy (e.g. by placing the faulty intel in the NE room I gained a bonus clone for spawning there cutting my cost per clone to 1 adrenaline effectively if spawning two). That darn stim pack... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.