Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Every preview, every video, every review I have seen of this game always shows the game played on a very tiny map with perhaps 2 forks maximum, if that. This puts me off completely. I want maps the size and complexity of say your average Hero Quest quest or a Space Hulk map. Would anyone care to comment on whether I should buy this game?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some really huge maps in the Quest Book as well. So I guess you haven't seen those.

The maps for the quests in the first expansion were pretty large too, from what I can remember, because they were all single-encounter quests.

For what it's worth, my experience has been that the size of the map has absolutely no bearing on how fun a particular encounter is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If your one super important criterion for tactical miniature board games is big maps, then you should not buy this game. Part of the focus of Descent 2nd Edition was in allowing for faster play, and one of the ways they achieved that is by using relatively small maps.

There are some larger maps included (and you can always make your own or look to the fanmade Quest Vault), but those are typically the worst experiences. The Shadow Vault is a several-hours-long slog that doesn't ever get more interesting, and The Man Who Would Be King Encounter 1 is a huge map that is over in less time than it took to set it up (or at least it was like that before the recent errata).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is he trade off in making he game more easily playable in 1-2 hours (which was a major complaint about 1.0). If you insist on a mega dungeon, is game isn't going to scratch that itch.

However, if you think about 5-6 quests as being one extended adventure (which is how they are set up), you still get that closer to epic feel but broken down into more manageable parts. I am not breaking new news to say that campaign mode is where the game really shines.

However, it isn't a dungeon crawl in the sense that you are having to decide which unexplored area to check out next. Your goals are very clear and all info is open to all players. It is more of a tactical minis game than it is a dungeon explorer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the maps aren't sprawling, but IMO they are often tightly designed and lend themselves well to tactical play. But if pure real estate is what you want, this isn't your game (I've yet to play a map that didn't fit (sometimes snugly) on a 2-by-4-foot folding table with 4 heroes' worth of stuff).

I've said it elsewhere, but the small footprint of the game is actually a big bonus to me. I like a big board as much as anyone, but it's nice to be able to set a game up on a small table and leave it there for a day or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However if you are looking for something like space hulk then 1st edition is for you. Especially if you can find it at affordable price.

If you'll try using 2nd edition for your needs you will only face problems and get irritated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first expansion Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Lair of the Wyrm has some pretty big maps. These quests are not 2 encounters, just one so they're larger maps...

I should add, most video previews just show the very first quest which I think is the smallest map in the quest guide.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I should add, most video previews just show the very first quest which I think is the smallest map in the quest guide.

I'd guess that Death on the Wing E1 is the smallest map in the quest guide, but then it's only half of the quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
shnar wrote:

I'd guess that Death on the Wing E1 is the smallest map in the quest guide, but then it's only half of the quest.

And I thought that quest was really fun! In Descent, size doesn't matter.

Edit: My opinion only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm late the the party but really looking forward to trying 2E.

I loved 1st edition Descent but often times it was the game that never hit the table unless it was planned ahead of time because it took one or two players an hour just to set the thing up, and then it was several hours to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Note, too, that quests usually present two encounters, thus two different maps.
But if the game does not fit your expectations, it is better not to purchase it.
There are so many games around, that one has to choose between different options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Yes I was very much looking for a game with a sense of exploration, like Hero Quest or Mansions of Madness can deliver. Lots of places to go....which one next....what is going to be behind this door...

This game looks more about setting up small skirmishes and playing out the tactics than genuine questing, dungeon-delving, RPGing. I got the sense it was more like a table top minis war game like Warhammer, where the encounter / battle is everything. I am not too interested in that kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is completely no exploration here, everything on the map is known to all players, every single word of the quest guide is known to all players(unless noted otherwise, but there were no notes like this yet as far as I can remember). Sometimes you might not know which token hold what you are to look for in given quest and that's all.

There's also not much RPGing - this is not an RPG. Your comparison to table top minis war game is pretty good.

But hey, there's questing, kind of - objectives are pretty varied, and there's few snippets of text to read out from time to time. But those aren't written to well(at least in Polish translation).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
Yes I was very much looking for a game with a sense of exploration, like Hero Quest or Mansions of Madness can deliver. Lots of places to go....which one next....what is going to be behind this door...

I just played Level 7 [Omega Protocol], and if you like the Sci-Fi theme (aliens instead of monsters, commandos instead of heroes), it has a lot of exploration and captures that 'dungeon crawl' feeling quite nicely. Might want to give it a try.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.