Myron Gaines
msg tools
We've been board gaming for about a year now, but we've stuck to gateway level games. We borrowed a copy of our friend's agricola and we quite enjoyed playing it after figuring out how everything worked.

So now I'm looking for a strategy game that plays well for 2 players. The only requirement I have is that it doesn't take longer than 60-90 minutes.

Suggestions? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommended games that are a step up from entry-level that play in 60-90 minutes with two players:

Puerto Rico - A classic for a reason. Great with two.
Troyes - The best dice manipulator available. Many people will recommend TCoB, but Troyes makes me feel I don't need it.
Battle Line - 2p only; it's more entry-level, but it's a must have for a couple, IMO.
Brass - Probably the heaviest of the lot. But it's just so good. You have to us the 2p variant found HERE.
Snowdonia - Something relatively now. Smart WP game.
Ghost Stories - The best co-op every created!
Trajan - My favorite Feld. Plays great with two.
Keyflower - This game is meaner than it looks.
Navegador - Rondel classic. Surprisingly good with two.
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar - WP with an interesting timing element. A bit lack-luster with two though.
Agricola - Since you said you already played it and liked it, why not get something you know you like? The extra decks create enough replayability to last you a long time.

Since you mentioned you liked Agricola, I went a little heavy on the WP games. I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

[edits] comments and added link for Brass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm.. is that just a stock list you wheel out?

Puerto Rico has a minimum of 3 players, and isn't recommended with 3 even.

Brass is another 3-4 player game. There's a fan-made 2p variant but doesn't work that well. You also never get a game of Brass in 60-90 mins.

Tz'olkin is an amazing game, but certainly not at it's best 2p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai

Great, simple game. Takes under an hour. Has good strategic depth behind some very simple mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mincey
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My girlfriend and I both really like The Castles of Burgundy and it meets your requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Umm.. is that just a stock list you wheel out?

No. Each one was carefully selected. But thanks for playing recommendation police.

Kelanen wrote:
Puerto Rico has a minimum of 3 players, and isn't recommended with 3 even.

The new edition of Puerto Rico has officially added the 2p rules, and it adds nothing to components. Look it up. Additionally, the only reason it's not recommended with 2 is because most of those votes came before the 2p variant was announced official. Play it and see for yourself. I've played it with two players many times, and it's excellent. And every person I've ever talked to who has agrees.

Kelanen wrote:
Brass is another 3-4 player game. There's a fan-made 2p variant but doesn't work that well.

I disagree. I love the 2p variant. I have a printed 2p map and have played several times, each opponent equally enjoying it.

Kelanen wrote:
You also never get a game of Brass in 60-90 mins.

Yes I will, because I already have numerous times. 60-90 is easily done with two players.

Kelanen wrote:
Tz'olkin is an amazing game, but certainly not at it's best 2p...

I agree. I have added a comment to reflect our sentiments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few that all play quickly, and are either designed for 2, or work well with 2:

Blokus Duo
Domaine
Forbidden Desert
Hive
Mr. Jack
Small World
Taluva
Tikal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
The new edition of Puerto Rico has officially added the 2p rules, and it adds nothing to components. Look it up. Additionally, the only reason it's not recommended with 2 is because most of those votes came before the 2p variant was announced official. Play it and see for yourself. I've played it with two players many times, and it's excellent. And every person I've ever talked to who has agrees.

You can put me in the, "Puerto Rico with 2 people is awful" camp.

Race for the Galaxy is also a good 2-player game. I'm not sure about the strategic depth, but there's some there. And it's greatly replayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
thedacker wrote:
I've played it with two players many times, and it's excellent. And every person I've ever talked to who has agrees.

Will do. That makes a total of 1.

But I do have to ask since you don't record your plays: Have you played Puerto Rico with 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Mat628 wrote:
thedacker wrote:
I've played it with two players many times, and it's excellent. And every person I've ever talked to who has agrees.

Will do. That makes a total of 1.

But I do have to ask since you don't record your plays: Have you played Puerto Rico with 2?

Yes, I've tried it. And hated it immediately. I've played somewhere over 1,000 3+ player games of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I only game with my girlfriend and here are some of her favorites:

Yedo
Ninjato
Cyclades
Takenoko
Kingsburg
Garden Dice
Dungeon Petz
Letters from Whitechapel
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myron, if Brass interests you at all, I recommend the following review and helpful links that follow in the comments:

(2P Review) Brass For Two May Be Brass At Its Best

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP, what do you like about Agricola? The sense of achievement of building your farm? or the worker placement where you have to decide which place you want to "shop" at? or the reading and playing of the minor improvements/occupation cards in your hands?

Because to me, Agricola's replayability lies in the minor improvements/occupation cards and I can't really find a better worker placement+hand management game.

But if you really want a shorter game, you can try Lords of Waterdeep. It is a worker placement game where you have to also try to complete the quest cards in your hand, but you can't create your own farm & family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me in the "Games that require a variant to play 2 players shouldn't be on the top of your list" group.

But this is exactly the problem with recommendations. There's a LOT of games that fit your criteria, which is good and bad, and it's hard to play recommendation police.

For example, I enjoy playing Eminent Domain with 2 players, but that may just be me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
thedacker wrote:

Race for the Galaxy is also a good 2-player game. I'm not sure about the strategic depth, but there's some there. And it's greatly replayable.

RFTG is definitely a superior form of Puerto Rico when talking 2 players or all the way up to 6. Because of the asymmetrical starts, simultaneous role selections and wider variety of abilities it definitely has a lot of strategic depth. Bonus points for small footprint and quick setup. I am a happy owner of both.

My wife also really enjoys Core Worlds, Keyflower, Glory to Rome and Innovation. RFTG is easily our favorite overall, though. One game we just started playing and really like so far is Manhattan Project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and my 2 cents on the previous posts:
Manhattan Project is pretty much strictly better than Lords of Waterdeep and I prefer it to Agricola, also.
Core Worlds, RFTG, and Glory to Rome are more replayable than Emminent Domain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Ghool wrote:
Here's a few that all play quickly, and are either designed for 2, or work well with 2:

Hive
Blokus Duo
Forbidden Desert
Mr. Jack

Seconding all of these and would also add:
Summoner Wars
Hey, That's My Fish!
Clue: The Great Museum Caper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myron Gaines
msg tools
The achievement from building the farm? Definitely. The worker placement aspect was interesting too since it was my first time trying a game like that. I only got a few rounds of agricola in but the improvement/occupation cards felt like it made things quite complicated while I wanted to keep it simple in my first few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Borkman
Australia
Menangle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My love and I get a lot of fun out of Dominion (plus Intrigue expansion), Innovation and... wait for it... MtG.

All *card* games, I realise, but I don't bother much about the boardgame/cardgame distinction.

LBBB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d suggest Targi and Le Havre: The Inland Port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation
Targi
The Castles of Burgundy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get an Martian Chess set. Pikemen, Martian Chess, and Homeworlds would fit your request well, and Gnostica would once you got used to the rules. Also all the rules are free, take a look at them yourself before you buy, and the only parts needed to play are the Icehouse pieces and a chess board (for Martian Chess and Pikemen,) and a Tarot Deck for Gnostica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Dungeon Petz. I typically always play 2-player with my girlfriend. We just recently acquired this and it is a huge hit with her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan U
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Dominion. Also, we recently started playing Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York. (There are some debates whether Wars of the Roses plays good with two or not, but we were of the opinion that it does. It is less random and more strategic than a four player game.)
(Oh, and do include the factions when playing with two, even if the rule book doesn't say so.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
United States
Cordova
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Guardic Gaiden
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for RFtG
and I'll throw in Last Will since it plays more quickly than Agricola but you have some good choices to make on the planning phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.