Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When posting a web link for a game, you have to provide both a name and a url (and a description, which is a bit much imho). When you type the name, BGG then goes and finds a list of all web links with the same (or similar name). And then prompts you to make sure you're not creating duplicates. Problem is, the applicability of links within a game only apply to that game, but the links shown as possible dupes are across all games. So a minute ago when I posted a link titled "Official rules", I got a zillion other links shown as possible dupes. But these are all to different games, so obviously they have no relation.

Solution: The list of links should be limited to the current game in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
curtc wrote:
Solution: The list of links should be limited to the current game in question.
Better yet, it should do duplicate searching not on title, but on URL (excluding subdomain, protocol and querystring) - and if it does that, then as far as I'm concerned, it should keep doing it across all games (so the review of an expension doesn't unknowingly also get submitted for the base game).

FWIW, I do find duplicate searching as currently implemented extremely handy in the case where I've noticed that an entire website has gone away / been taken over by a spammer, because it allows me to find a significant portion of all the links leading to that website (since weblinks seem to mostly have been mass-submitted with all the same title), and so I can mass-submit deletion requests. *g*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
Better yet, it should do duplicate searching not on title, but on URL (excluding subdomain, protocol and querystring) - and if it does that, then as far as I'm concerned, it should keep doing it across all games (so the review of an expension doesn't unknowingly also get submitted for the base game).

Good point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.