Escape: The Curse of the Temple – Expansion 2: Quest» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Is this a must-buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Lohr
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hey, for those of you who may be on the fence about whether or not picking up this pricy expansion, let me just throw my thoughts after a mere two play sessions.

I'm going to assume that you already know the game and likely have the Illusions expansion and are considering whether or not this seemingly small expansion is worth the price tag.

Let me be transparent and say that I love Escape. It's easily my favorite board game right now and almost every game night it makes an appearance for 3-5 sessions.

That said, I've found that once everyone knows what they're doing in pre-expansion Escape it's very easy to fall into a routine: Blitz out, explore, clear some gems, rush back. I found that the Illusions expansion did very little to actually alter the flow of that routine, although it generally made the temple a more interesting place.

Quests, however not only alter the general flow of the game, they represent the possibility of shattering any standard routine. Much like the chalice, you can get better at coordinating and carrying it as a team, but if the dice go bad, the routine is broken and people have to think on their feet.

To me, quests represent more opportunities for the game to throw the unexpected in your direction. I expect after 10-15 play sessions there will be generally agreed upon strategies for dealing with quests, but when the dice go sour, everyone will have to play well and stay sharp.

Player powers seem very similar in that they provide more opportunities for players to do something clever and quick-witted. But I need to play through a few more times to get a feel for the various powers and their uses before I can comment with any certainty.

So the question is, should you buy this expansion?

If it's in your budget and you love Escape, I'd say pick it up immediately, with only one reservation:

If you already felt overwhelmed or stressed, this will only make it worse. Even the player powers won't be doing you any favors. Even though they make the game "easier", they add one more thing for you to think about and track as you run through the temple. If you have players that play begrudgingly, this may be too much for them to handle.

Otherwise this expansion is amazing. It adds so much content to the game with just a few simple cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, thanks for the review!

Second, where did you get this? My flgs is saying it is not available from their distributor so they can't order it for me. Just curious. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
primtim34 wrote:

Second, where did you get this? My flgs is saying it is not available from their distributor so they can't order it for me. Just curious. Thanks!

I think Queen has an exclusive distributor so they may need to check the other distributor. My FLGS had it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just picked this up over the weekend, but haven't bought Illusions yet. I haven't tried the Quest components yet, but I had to say that the components inside the box are rather underwhelming for the price. I'm hoping that it'll feel worth it when we actually get around to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I also got it from my FLGS this past week, so it's out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lohr
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
primtim34 wrote:

I picked mine up at Tabletop Games in Kansas City. I'd recommend trying to check with a few nearby FLGS to see what you can turn up.

Obsidian3d wrote:
I just picked this up over the weekend, but haven't bought Illusions yet. I haven't tried the Quest components yet, but I had to say that the components inside the box are rather underwhelming for the price. I'm hoping that it'll feel worth it when we actually get around to play it.

Yeah, I totally understand how you feel that way. I knew going into it that the box would probably feel really empty when I got to look at all the components.

In terms of what those components add to the game, however, it makes the experience feel absolutely filled to the brim. I feel like they probably couldn't add too much more without dramatically altering the game in a signficant way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the MSRP on this? Lots of talk about it being expensive but I can't find a price online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
What's the MSRP on this? Lots of talk about it being expensive but I can't find a price online.

Pretty sure it is 29.99 same as the other one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
lfisher wrote:
charlest wrote:

Pretty sure it is 29.99 same as the other one.

Technically, the MSRP of Illusions was $29.95. The MSRP of Quest is $29.99 according to Boards & Bits, but they are accepting pre-orders for $19.19 (expensive?). Expected availability - Sep 2013.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The local FLGS charged me $40. I just wanted it in time for a game night so I just sucked it up, but *ouch*.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
FRP has it in stock for $24. I suspect more online stores will get it soon.

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=94414#.U...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Britain is still waiting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.