Joss Ives
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is unclear from the rules or the blessing themselves if your character needs to be at the same location as the character upon which you use the "roll an additional die" part of the blessing. Thematically it makes sense that you would need to be at the same location, but I couldn't find this in the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No you do not need to be at the same location. If the card does not use the phrase "at your location" then you can use it on a character at another location.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cree C
United Kingdom
Weymouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the card text states "at your location", "your check" or "your character" the boon can be used on anyone, anywhere.

Edit: Beaten to the punch!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
p.11
Quote:
Players may now play
cards from their hands to affect the check.


p.16
Quote:
Blessing cards often allow you to add dice to checks
attempted by any player, including yourself, at any location


Clear enough?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They're gods... They don't worry about things like location.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a side note, this has been resolved is at least 4 other threads in this board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And now we can start referring to the Gospel Thread.

Please reference this:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q7r0?some-thoughts-after-1500-P...

Specifically - Item 1.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While this question may have been answered multiple times in the bazillion threads here, some of us have still played the game over 10 times, read the rules over 3 times, and still completely missed this detail. And we're not *that* dumb :) So we appreciate the OP's question.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The sort of "do what you want unless the card says so" passive rule is a bit confusing. It results in this blessing question and it also results in "what do you mean we can't fight together?!?"

Both of those are now covered in that linked post. Which is good. I expect the second version of the rules to be far improved.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raolin wrote:
While this question may have been answered multiple times in the bazillion threads here, some of us have still played the game over 10 times, read the rules over 3 times, and still completely missed this detail. And we're not *that* dumb So we appreciate the OP's question.


If you can't even figure out what question to ask, I would recommend reading the FAQ: http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gk
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
p.16
Quote:
Blessing cards often allow you to add dice to checks
attempted by any player, including yourself, at any location


Clear enough?

Well no, it's not clear enough -- the rule says "often allow" without explaining when "often" is (or isn't). So no, not clear to me at all.

Further, it makes no sense to me that characters could intervene in a conflict happening miles away that they couldn't possibly even be aware of. For me it destroys any sense of geography in the game.

Has anyone tried house-ruling this so it can't be done beyond a character's current location? Would that make the game too difficult?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cherryfunk wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
p.16
Quote:
Blessing cards often allow you to add dice to checks
attempted by any player, including yourself, at any location


Clear enough?

Well no, it's not clear enough -- the rule says "often allow" without explaining when "often" is (or isn't). So no, not clear to me at all.

Further, it makes no sense to me that characters could intervene in a conflict happening miles away that they couldn't possibly even be aware of. For me it destroys any sense of geography in the game.

Has anyone tried house-ruling this so it can't be done beyond a character's current location? Would that make the game too difficult?


Every blessing lets you add a die. Some let you add two dice to specific types of checks. It could certainly be imagined that there might be a location whose special rule is to block the use of blessings from others or at all.

Anyway, they're blessings...of gods. You know, super powerful beings that transcend locations.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Every blessing lets you add a die. Some let you add two dice to specific types of checks. It could certainly be imagined that there might be a location whose special rule is to block the use of blessings from others or at all.

True, but such a location would indicate this on the card, so the sentence you quoted should be written more like:

"Blessing cards often allow you to add dice to checks attempted by any player, including yourself, at any location, unless specifically stated otherwise."

'Often', without any further clarification, renders the rule meaningless as written. It's no longer a rule at all actually. This is a danger of conversationally written rulebooks -- they can easily become too chatty and lose their precision.

Quote:
Anyway, they're blessings...of gods. You know, super powerful beings that transcend locations.

I did grasp that much, yes. But obviously they're tied to a specific character, thus to me it makes no sense that a character could decide to use one when they weren't aware of the situation requiring their usage.

I know, it's just a game and the designer creates the reality etc., but I really wish the game had a stronger sense of geography, a map that actually meant something, and this power just renders that moot. (Along with the ranger's ability to shoot arrows from miles away...)

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cherryfunk wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
Every blessing lets you add a die. Some let you add two dice to specific types of checks. It could certainly be imagined that there might be a location whose special rule is to block the use of blessings from others or at all.

True, but such a location would indicate this on the card, so the sentence you quoted should be written more like:

"Blessing cards often allow you to add dice to checks attempted by any player, including yourself, at any location, unless specifically stated otherwise."

'Often', without any further clarification, renders the rule meaningless as written. It's no longer a rule at all actually. This is a danger of conversationally written rulebooks -- they can easily become too chatty and lose their precision.


Well, there are plenty of people who aren't confused by it, so, sorry you're not getting it. Then again, they're not my rules.


Quote:
Anyway, they're blessings...of gods. You know, super powerful beings that transcend locations.

I did grasp that much, yes. But obviously they're tied to a specific character, thus to me it makes no sense that a character could decide to use one when they weren't aware of the situation requiring their usage.

I know, it's just a game and the designer creates the reality etc., but I really wish the game had a stronger sense of geography, a map that actually meant something, and this power just renders that moot. (Along with the ranger's ability to shoot arrows from miles away...)

[/q]

All valid wishes for your preferences. Maybe this game just isn't your cup of tea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.