Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately our group has been dealing two (random) captain cards to each player. The player can choose between either card, but the second card is retained and used in the case of the death or retirement of the first captain. We've played this way 3 or 4 times now, so far no one has died or retired so that rule has never come up.

I was just curious what other groups are doing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly like you do it and it's working well for us.

Of course you can still draw two rather merchant-ish captains even if you would prefer to start as a pirate but that's life... ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my plays have been solo recently, but that's pretty much the same method I've been using for quite a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually deal out 3 captains, but captains not picked get shuffled back into the deck. We have also done it draft style. Each person gets 3, pick one pass the other two, do that twice. Then choose your captain and in that case the 2 remaining captains are the ones you can pick from after death. - Typically we don't have a lot of captain deaths, but there certainly have been some games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't like that rule (although if my group wanted to use it, I would oblige). It would mean that players would get too dependent on one strategy or play style, and always go for that if they could. It's also nice to be able to eventually see all the different captains in play.

If players don't like their captain at the beginning, then there is already a rule in place to switch it out--retire. Sure, you're missing a turn, but them's the breaks if you are going to be picky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
I personally don't like that rule (although if my group wanted to use it, I would oblige). It would mean that players would get too dependent on one strategy or play style, and always go for that if they could. It's also nice to be able to eventually see all the different captains in play.

If players don't like their captain at the beginning, then there is already a rule in place to switch it out--retire. Sure, you're missing a turn, but them's the breaks if you are going to be picky.

So how do you guys do it? Do you just deal one random captain to each player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
We usually deal out 3 captains, but captains not picked get shuffled back into the deck.

This is how we do it. Having to start with a captain I dislike would make me much less likely to want to play the game. We even give you three choices if you have to replace your captain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Rianane wrote:
Desiderata wrote:

So how do you guys do it? Do you just deal one random captain to each player?

Yup. As per the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a few times. I've played take 1 captain at random (didn't like it), and I prefer get two at random and pick 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.