Subject: Good one-off intro quest? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I know First Blood is basically made as a sort of introductory tutorial to the game, but I'm trying to set up a sample game for some players that might be interested in doing a full campaign. So I'd rather not use First Blood as we'd essentially then be doing that twice in a row (albeit with different characters).

Any suggestions for other quests that would make a good standalone first game? I have the two expansions (and Trollfens on order).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the first quest from the Lair of the Wyrm expansion (Gold Digger). It's fun, and you don't have to set up a second encounter afterwards. Use a Shadow Dragon mini in place of Valyndra if they think it's lame that they're fighting a giant token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This question comes up every now and then, and my recommendation is Death on the Wing. It's one of the smallest maps, so it gives a feel for the objective focus of the game, while still teaching some of the important mechanics like combat, searching, and attribute tests. It's also slightly hero-favored (if playing without the Conversion Kit), so that's good for an inexperienced group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Death on the Wing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Death on the Wing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cervantes
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IF you go to. http://tools.fantasyflightgames.com/descent/ you can create your own encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say, one downside to playing Death on the Wing in the situation described in the OP is that it may make the heroes less likely to choose that quest during the actual campaign for variety's sake, forgoing the benefits of a (relatively) easy win, a great Shield, and some gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.