The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: The long dark: Twisting passage locate test rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tanausú Alayón
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Forced: Before placing progress tokens on Twisting Passage, the first player must make a locate test. If this test is failed, do not place any progress tokens on Twisting Passage and trigger all "Lost:" effects in play."

So this location takes 5 progress to complete. It could be completed with asfaloth + torch, but if you do it that way, does that mean you need to make 2 locate tests? One for Asfaloth and one for torch? As you're placing progress tokens two times.

Also If I use the torch effect to place progress on twisting passage, do I make the locate test first, or do I first discard a card for the torch exhausting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asfaloth and the torch are two separate effects and should be treated as such.
If the torch's effect is an action (I don't have my cards here so I can't verify), then the location's forced effect kicks in first. If it is forced, then the first player chooses order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanausú Alayón
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Man what a horrible location! Had two in the staging area, not fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ask about the Twisting passage and the Cave torch, and Caleb answer is different than yours, so I should post his answer here :
The question include different reasonning on why it could have been otherwise.

Quote:
Q: We are using the Cave Torch to place progress token on Twisting Passage, but there is only 1 card left in the encounter deck. We have: A: Forced effect of Cave Torch trigger when Cave Torch is exhausted as the cost of an effect and B: Forced effect of Twisting Passage trigger before progress token are placed as the resolution of an effect. If there is a time gap between paying the cost of an effect and the resolution of the effect, then B should resolved before A.
If Forced effect can't interrupt effect resolution, then A should resolved before B.If there is no time gap and Forced effect can interupt resolution of other effect, then the first player can choose. What is the right sequence ?
A: The Forced effect of Cave Torch is not a cost. It is a Forced response to triggering its effect. A cost always comes before the effect. In this case, when you exhaust the Cave Torch, the resolution of that effect is to put 3 progress tokens on Twisting Passage. Then, you will resolve the Forced effect on Cave Torch. But the Forced effect on Twisting Passage interrupts the resolution of that effect by forcing you to make a locate test. There is no choice for the first player to make because the timing of Twisting Passage (before placing progress...) triggers before Cave Torch (after Cave Torch exhausts...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.