Subject: Should this be my next SoS game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Wilson
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I'm a big fan of the States of Siege series and VPG's solitaire games in general. I love The Lost Cause.

I want to buy another States of Siege now, and am thinking about Ottoman Sunset. I love WWI history, Paths of Glory is one of my favorite games.

I'm mostly debating between this and Zulu on the Ramparts.

(I currently own Israeli Independence and The Lost Cause, both with expansions.)

What do you guys say, this, or another one, and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion as both an SoS aficionado and designer is that Ottoman Sunset is one of the best games in the entire series - it conveys tremendous 'feel', and if WW1 holds any attraction for you at all, you can't go wrong here.

Note that complexity for OS is somewhere between II (simple) and TLC (can be somewhat complex, especially the Advanced game).

Good luck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
My opinion as both an SoS aficionado and designer is that Ottoman Sunset is one of the best games in the entire series - it conveys tremendous 'feel', and if WW1 holds any attraction for you at all, you can't go wrong here.

Note that complexity for OS is somewhere between II (simple) and TLC (can be somewhat complex, especially the Advanced game).

Good luck...

Steve which one did you design?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:

We Must Tell the Emperor and Malta Besieged: 1940-1942.

Both are out-of-print, so the secondary market is the sole source that I know of at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
patton55 wrote:

We Must Tell the Emperor and Malta Besieged: 1940-1942.

Both are out-of-print, so the secondary market is the sole source that I know of at the moment.

Cool. I have wanted to do the Malta one. I have Lost Cause and Dawn of the Zeds, both great games. I just ordered last week Ottoman and The Hero of Weehawkin (?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started making up the map for Hapbsurg Eclipse, which will be a stand-alone States of Siege game but will be mate-able with Ottoman Sunset. Just thought I would throw that out there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ottoman is very good. The one I am excited about now is Cruel Necessity, imminently releasing (October perhaps). About English Civil War. I got to play test a wee bit and was impressed. It is beautiful and epic and has quick tactical Battles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pericles Boutos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot praise Ottoman Empire too highly. And I also cannot wait for Habsburg Eclipse to double my pleasure at playing. You cannot go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
TimAllen wrote:
I just started making up the map for Hapbsurg Eclipse, which will be a stand-alone States of Siege game but will be mate-able with Ottoman Sunset. Just thought I would throw that out there...

Explain more. As in you could have both games out at once, playing at the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Wilson
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
Alright, you all convinced me. I read the rules, and I'm excited to play a game that explores this theater of the Great War in such depth of choices and possible outcomes. And I love the way there's the "other theater" battles that connect the player to the wider success or failure of the Central Powers. I look forward to learning from the event cards too. I already love the gameplay of states of siege games in general.

For the Sultan!!! ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoffrey Pasha confidently poses before taking command!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great picture Steve! With a moustache like that, how can you be anything but confident!

I must confess that I don't know exactly how the two games will combine, since I have not read the rules to Hapsburg Eclipse yet. But they will- that's what the railway boxes in the corners of the maps is for. So yes, both games can be played at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Leviloff
United States
Foster City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Regarding "Habsburg Eclipse", the plan for the "Combined Game" is that you can play both games simultaneously, shifting from one deck to the other. Alternatively, you can add a second player and play cooperatively. We are working on the stand-alone game right now and then I will finalize the combined rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This new one Habsburg Eclipse looks like pretty cool and interesting topic, one more to my collection
and wow !!! it has 5 fronts to cover arrrh good stuff !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.