Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Collis
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Folks:

I was just informed that this game has been pulled from production and is no longer available. It appears that it wasn't ready for prime time yet.

A new edition/version is in the works.

Cheers,

John Collis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Korting
Netherlands
Hoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rules are under revision right now and a much better game will hit your table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Korting
Netherlands
Hoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Heath,

it's the game specific rules that needed some tlc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Korting
Netherlands
Hoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can now add that the game will be MUCH different from what was first printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's not too late to replace the cover photo with one of Canadian troops, instead of US ones? cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saints protect us from "marketing geniuses". In the run-up to Remembrance Day, our local paper runs a lot remembrance-themed ads. They often feature stock photos of US troops. One even showed a Japanese battleship!

A curmudgeon's work is never done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Korting
Netherlands
Hoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game's available again now at the Decision Games website.

Rules have been updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't appear to have updated the e-rules on the site...

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Korting
Netherlands
Hoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are available now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and I got a copy.
When I have the time, I'll give this a play-through.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please let us know your impressions, Brian. I have my eye on this one, and their Vimy Ridge game, but I've learned to be cautious with Decision products.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Payne
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HansK wrote:
Can now add that the game will be MUCH different from what was first printed.

OK I just bought this as it was advertised as a new release. However, all the copyright stuff when I open it is saying 2013. Is there a way to tell that I have the latest version?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Korting
Netherlands
Hoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

I don't have the game with me, but check your rulebook against the one on the DG webpage. The one that can be downloaded is the latest version.

Hope this helps.

Hans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Krynicki
United States
Lakeville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if we good looking Yanks disappoint you, but that is NOT just some stock photo that was slapped on the cover...... that is a photo of troops of the 104th Infantry Division DURING the battle. The US 104th ID was attached to British I Corps for this campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the 104th was part of 1st Canadian Army during the battle, but how did you establish that the troops in the cover photo are from that division?
I searched around for some time in Google Images to see where the photo came from, but had no luck.
I also note that one of the soldiers is carrying a Mauser Kar98 - I wonder why would he be carrying a German rifle and not an M1?

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen that photo elsewhere, identified as troops from 104 (US) Div, but that rather misses the point. Imagine the cover of a Bulge game showing Canadian troops. Why not,there was a Canadian forestry company working in the Ardennes at the time. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Krynicki
United States
Lakeville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not wanting to step on anyone's national pride but there is a HUGE difference between a forestry company (150 men) and a Combat Infantry Division (15,000 men). Also, the US 7th Armored Division (11,500) was also part of the show as well, as well as the Poles, as well as the Brits. As a matter of fact the 1st Canadian Army wasn't all that "Canadian".

If there was ever a battle during WW2 which was truly a multi-national event, this battle is it. One could slap just about any nationality on the front cover and it would have been appropriate.

I think it would be kinda petty if I were on this site complaining about French Soldiers on the front of a wargame covering Nordwind/Colmar Pocket....after all it was the "US" 6th Army Group that was involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Krynicki
United States
Lakeville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW

Where do you see a Mauser??? I see an M1 carbine, a few M1 Garands, and what could be either another M1 Garand or a bolt action M1903 Springfield (which would be carried by the company sniper).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't change the fact that there's the point over here, and you stridently lecturing us from way over there.

The historical operating area for 104 Div isn't even included in the map for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Krynicki
United States
Lakeville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Us? nobody is complaining but you.........and why are the units of the 104 included in the game if they don't enter the map?? Or is everybody but you "over there"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kryfam wrote:
BTW

Where do you see a Mauser??? I see an M1 carbine, a few M1 Garands, and what could be either another M1 Garand or a bolt action M1903 Springfield (which would be carried by the company sniper).

You can't see it clearly on the image here on BGG, it's too small.
But if you look at the game folder itself with the blown-up photograph, the second guy from the left is holding something that is clearly not an M1 - it is a bolt-action rifle with a sort of metal boss on the stock, which is a feature of German Mausers (for the longest time I did not know why it was there until I looked it up, and it is so they can take the firing pin out of the bolt when giving the weapon a detailed stripping and cleaning - it is called a stock disc).
No model of the Springfield had that feature.

Brian

PS: and Joe is right, the map's east edge is just east of Antwerp; the easternmost towns are Rosendaal and Esschen.
The 104th operated off the east edge of the map, towards Breda.
In the original rules (I don't have the new ones handy) the 104th division enters at Antwerp October 13-14 (ten days earlier than it actually did) and its units are directed not to operate west of Korteven - a town that appears nowhere on the map, a mystery until you match up the hex number and realize they are referring to Woensdrecht.
This confines the division to a pretty narrow area of the map.

In my Scheldt game (The Scheldt Campaign) the map goes further east to Tilburg, so the 104th has more room to move, and more reason to go where it did historically.
The 104th also arrives in the game at the actual time it entered combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryfam wrote:
...why are the units of the 104 included in the game if they don't enter the map??

Exactly! Could it be a cheap marketing ploy, like putting them on the cover?

It's clear you haven't even seen the game, and that you don't know much, if anything, about the battle. Please refrain from offering any more insights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Krynicki
United States
Lakeville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian

You may well be correct......I have read several accounts where the GI snipers weren't very happy with the M1903A4 since it used standard .30-06 ammo and the scope was not weather proof,having a tendency to fog up. It also had no iron sights thus if the scope was removed, it was useless.

Many company snipers/designated marksmen would ditch their issued weapon when and if they got their hands on a German one with sufficient ammo.

Also, to your earlier question, I found the same photo in a 104th ID alumni/unit history website......if I find the link again I'll be sure to post it.

Thanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Krynicki
United States
Lakeville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunray11 wrote:
Saints protect us from "marketing geniuses". In the run-up to Remembrance Day, our local paper runs a lot remembrance-themed ads. They often feature stock photos of US troops. One even showed a Japanese battleship!

A curmudgeon's work is never done.

Curmudgeon...Joe, at least you got that correct!!

You are absolutely right, I do not own this game. I seldom waste my money on DG stuff (especially their folio series) their rules errors and oversights are legendary.

My point Joe (before this degenerated into some strange pig wrestling contest) is that the cover picture is a period photo of actual participants in the battle and not just some "stock" photo.

I'm truly sorry that it is not obviously a picture that you approve of. You can rest assured, I will do my part to thwart the multi-echeloned Amero-industrial conspiracy to squash any historical perspective other than it's own.

Have a nice day!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kryfam wrote:

it used standard .03-06 ammo

no wonder they didn't like it. you couldn't kill a mosquito with that caliber of ammunition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.