Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Preface:

I played my first game of Cuba Libre yesterday. It was an enjoyable session, but I was a little frustrated by some poor dice rolling and the sequencing of the deck.

Upon doing my typical post game review of the rules, I discovered the Victory Deception Option. This sounds like a fabulous idea, and I will need to incorporate this into my next game of Cuba Libre!

Question:

Would it be possible to play with the Cuba Libre Victory Deception Option (and the chits from Cuba Libre) in Andean Abyss?

Here is the optional rule:

Quote:
Victory Deception Option: For less knowledge of how close Factions in 3- or 4- player games are to winning, each player at start blindly draws 2 Deception markers. Set aside the rest; they may not be inspected. Players my reveal any of their Deception markers at any time:

Empty Threat: No effect.
Hidden Agenda: Permanently add +1 to the holding players victory margin.
Hidden Asset: Convert any 1 LimOp option into a full Op & Special Activity Option.

As I read it, the Hidden Agenda only effects the player's score in the final scoring after the Final Propaganda round, if no one has won previously.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Volko has mentioned elsewhere* they'll be included in AA's next printing. They're all the same, COIN to COIN.

*Threads I'm too lazy to go look up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds really cool. I hadn't heard of it before. I wonder if it will be available separately to those of us who already own AA?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
abhollan wrote:
This sounds really cool. I hadn't heard of it before. I wonder if it will be available separately to those of us who already own AA?

Good question, I hope Volko sees this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlbertaClipper wrote:
Yes. Volko has mentioned elsewhere* they'll be included in AA's next printing. They're all the same, COIN to COIN.

*Threads I'm too lazy to go look up.

Found Volko's comments on the deception rule here.

Guess it would be helpful to know if it would be ported over exactly as it is in Cuba Libre, or adjusted slightly for Andean Abyss for play balance.

I just checked, and A Distant Plain has the same exact Victory Deception Option as Cuba Libre.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, porting it as is, if you have the markers from CL or A Distant Plain, should work fine. If you only own Andean Abyss of the three, the next issue of C3i will have a set of Deception markers and the rule.

For Fire in the Lake, I'm testing out a refinement: you are only allowed to reveal your markers as you use them, "Empty Threat" only at game end. Try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As I read it, the Hidden Agenda only effects the player's score in the final scoring after the Final Propaganda round, if no one has won previously.

You may reveal your Hidden Agenda marker(s) at any time to receive the +1 to your Victory margin, so I do intend that it could put you over the top during a Propaganda Round's initial Victory check. ("Victory margin" is simply the calculation of how close to or far beyond a Faction's victory condition a Faction is; though defined in 7.3, it pertains to 7.2 also.)

It's only a 0 to 2 point bonus for any given player, but I find that that induces a lot of nervousness!

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Dan right in that Hidden Agenda only affects during final scoring and will not allow, for example, government to win with 59 support?

Edit: Volko answered this as I was typing. Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.