Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: BSG 379 - Cylon's Witness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the 379th Play-By-Forum Battlestar Galactica game. It will follow the format established by ColtsFan76. It is a 5-player Pegasus + Exodus game.

Players
This game is by invitation only. The waiting list is being maintained at the BSG PBF Wiki.

Playing notes
The regulations of the game are pretty much as in all the other threads. If this is your first BSG PBF game, please read through at least one of the previous games to get a feeling for how it is done.

Some particular notes for those taking part (you can find more notes and tips on nbergom's geeklist Tips and Tricks of BSG PBF):

1) Subscribe to this thread.

2) Please, login at least once a day, preferably more. Note that I have a 24-hour rule in place: when it is your turn to act, I expect you to respond within 24 hours; if not, then I am going to take measures, which may lead to seeking a replacement if your absence was unannounced. If you are going to be offline for longer stretches of time (and that is totally acceptable), please tell us in the thread (or me by geekmail), and we can pause the game if necessary.

3) All players must have their own copies of the game as I am only going to publish card titles (this is an FFG request).

4) Private communication will be by geekmail between me and particular players, all other communication will be by posting in this thread. Please start your geekmail subject line with "BSG 312" and your character name. Feel free to share your suspicions/reasons with me, although I won't be able to comment back.

5) To speed up the game, please use Conditional Orders (i.e., geekmail me what you will do if certain circumstances arise). CO's are particularly useful for interrupts, such as Evasive Maneuvers. I will not wait for rare occurrences (e.g., a player using a Strategic Planning on a basestar attack or a viper attacking a raider, or a player using his OPG) unless I have received a CO to that end, or if I feel that discussions in the thread warrant it. I will not ask for Strategic Plannings on scouting rolls as long as there are still at least two raptors available. I will also assume that a player will not want to use his OPG until after the sleeper-agent phase has hit -- so make sure you give a CO if you want to act in a different way. Note that I prefer not to get "public CO's" until all Cylons are known. I will automatically assume humans don't want to spike skill checks unless there is a specific reason.

6) Please use the following posting conventions:
* Normal text for discussions.
* Italics for flavor texts.
* Bold for in-game moves and actions. I won't process any decisions/actions unless bolded in the thread or I receive them by geekmail.

7) Please, make clear in each post who your character is by posting a banner at the top of your post. Great banners created by DukeOfEarl are available here (use the "medium" option to display them). If you find using a banner is too much of a hassle (or you are on your phone), at least list your character name at the top of your post.

8) For flavor, a useful selection of character pictures is hosted on this geeklist by GerryRailBaron, though by all means provide your own if you wish. Easy, quick links to the items on Gerry's geeklist are provided here.

9) Please do not post any (big) spoilers for the television series in the thread.

Acknowledgments

My thanks to Orphius, whose spreadsheets I am using to mod this game, and Flyboy Connor, whose opening post I have just shamelessly ripped off (again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Invitees:
Hannibal Rex - Accepted
CptnFalafel - Accepted
Sunchaser - Accepted
zolson1021 - Declined
Nostredeus

Alternatives:
ed_hennessy - Accepted
nolemonplease - Declined
drnlmza - Alternate
manutd03
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Muller
South Africa
Stellenbosch
Western Cape
flag msg tools
even if it's not
badge
I have a cunning plan that cannot fail.
mbmbmbmbmb
In if required
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Feindt
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the invite!

I'd like to play but I should note that I have not played with Exodus yet. I'll reread the rules asap. I already know the new skill cards because my FtF group uses them as House Rules but they stopped using the Exodus options before I joined them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, we will decide whether to use the Cylon Fleet Board, Conflicted Loyalties and the Ionian Nebula once we have some players sorted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

I haven't been active on BGG in the last few months, but this invite is just what I needed to draw me back. Thanks!

I suppose it can't hurt if I go ahead with my character preferences. Which options we play with shouldn't make a difference for that.

1) Gaeta
2) Anders

I'll have to see for myself if neither of those two is available by the time it's my turn.

As for the Exodus modules:

CFB: I don't have a strong preference, but if we play without it, the crisis deck needs some tweaking otherwise the attacks will be too diluted. I don't know how easy it is to do this with the mod tools. If it's too much work, I'd rather have the CFB.

Conflicted Loyalties: The Personal Goals don't really work for creating ambiguity, they only make the endgame harder for the humans. I prefer to leave them out. I can take or leave the Final Five.

Ionian Nebula: Slight preference not to use it, but not a dealbreaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hennessy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm available as an alternate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Pierre
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!

Just a heads up, I recently bought Exodus and have only played one game with it, so please bear with me if I ask some questions regarding the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Those who are playing please answer the following Exodus option poll:
Poll
Exodus Optional Modules
  Must have Would like Don't care Would not like Must not have
Cylon Fleet Board
Personal Goals
Final Five
Ionian Nebula
      4 answers
Poll created by KraZug

AFAIK I can remove an appropriate number of crises from the deck to make the CAC (Cylon Attack Cards) come up with the right frequency if we play with CACs.

House rules
I'm open to playing with character changes, particularly to nerfs to Cain, Tory and Kat and a buff for Anders.

I'm also happy to use Complex Destiny (3 of each card type to start, add in more cards when it gets down to less than 6 cards) to help prevent card counting. Or Treacherous Destiny, where human-discarded Treachery gets shuffled into the Destiny deck.

I would also be happy to see a nerf to Political Prowess so that it can't be used on the Airlock.

Chime in on your house rule preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Also it looks like a number of people are new to playing with Exodus, that's fine, just ask me if you are unsure on anything.

Oh, and please always check that your Cylon reveal is legal before posting it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Feindt
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through part of the rules last night (basically everything except Ionian Nebula).
I don't have any strong preferences but I wouldn't want to try out all options at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KraZug wrote:

House rules
I'm open to playing with character changes, particularly to nerfs to Cain, Tory and Kat and a buff for Anders.

I'm happy with nerfs to Tory and Cain. I don't think Kat needs one. What do you have in mind for Anders? A reduced draw instead of no draw at all for his weakness?

Quote:
I'm also happy to use Complex Destiny (3 of each card type to start, add in more cards when it gets down to less than 6 cards) to help prevent card counting. Or Treacherous Destiny, where human-discarded Treachery gets shuffled into the Destiny deck.

I don't need either of these.

Quote:
I would also be happy to see a nerf to Political Prowess so that it can't be used on the Airlock.

I very much agree on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hennessy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am OK with the regular character updates for Cain and Tory. I haven't played enough in games with Kat to feel like she is broken. As for Complex or Treacherous destiny, I would prefer not to have Treacherous destiny. I would be willing to try Complex destiny.

The Cylon Fleet Board makes the game different. I like the changes, but I don't mind playing the original way; either.

I like the Personal Goals. I like having extra options for the loyalty cards. I have only played with Final Five once and the cards didn't come up, so I can't say if I like it or not.

As for Ionian Nebula, I have mixed feelings about it. It is interesting to throw the other characters in there, and I like having an endgame that is different from a regular jump cycle. Having said that, I don't like the somewhat random executions that come with the disaster tokens. If there are people who haven't played with Exodus before and want to ease their way in, then we should probably use either the Cylon Fleet Board or Ionian Nebula, but not both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I haven't heard back from Nostredeus, so I suspect that drnlmza will be in as an Alternate. I said 48 hours in my initial GM, so I'll wait until this evening though.

Player Order:
Hannibal Rex - 1d100 = (71) = 71
CptnFalafel - 1d100 = (71) = 71
Sunchaser - 1d100 = (39) = 39
ed_hennessy - 1d100 = (25) = 25
Player 5 - 1d100 = (67) = 67

At the moment it looks like we're going to Kobol, with no Personal Goals/Final Fives, with the CFB. drnlmza, if you could let me know your preferences for if you get in.

Kat sometimes gets her ability altered so that it can't be used on the FTL control (and in exchange gets to use when she rolls a dice on other player's turns).

Unless anyone strongly disagrees, I'm going to say that 6 - Political Prowess can not be used to pass the Airlock check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 439935. KraZug
  • 1d100 =
  • (71) =
  • Wed Oct 2, 2013 10:36 am
  • [+]
  • 439936. KraZug
  • 1d100 =
  • (71) =
  • [+]
  • 439937. KraZug
  • 1d100 =
  • (39) =
  • [+]
  • 439938. KraZug
  • 1d100 =
  • (25) =
  • [+]
  • 439939. KraZug
  • 1d100 =
  • (67) =
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, should CptnFalafel and me duke it out Thunderdome-style to determine who of us goes first?

I'm up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Pierre
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that it's the only option since I have Gaeta as my nr 1 pick too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Really should use a larger number than d100.
Lets see:
1custom2{Hannibal Rex;CptnFalafel} -> ( Hannibal Rex) -> ( Hannibal Rex)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 439997. KraZug
  • 1custom2{Hannibal Rex;CptnFalafel} =
  • ( Hannibal Rex) =
  • ( Hannibal Rex)
  • Wed Oct 2, 2013 12:57 pm
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this'll be a lucky game for me. But let's not be ungracious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold on - If I'm the first player, Anders is twice as bad, as I won't even get the usual three skill cards.

Can I simply let CptnFalafel pick first to avoid that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think that Anders is any worse as first player, but I don't mind you swapping if you want to. You are going to be empty handed for the entire first round yes, but then it is over with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big difference is that without any cards at all, Anders can't move between ships on his first turn - and the best way to counter his weakness is to go to the Press Room ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Fine, provided CaptnFalafel is happy with that I am.

Character Selection wrote:

CaptnFalafel: Gaeta - Full draw (what optional?)
Hannibal Rex: Anders - Draw?
drnlmza: Baltar - Draw?
Sunchaser :
ed_hennessy:

Executive decision made to include drnlmza and not wait for Nostredeus, he can get in on the game that Caimion is about to run if he responds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Muller
South Africa
Stellenbosch
Western Cape
flag msg tools
even if it's not
badge
I have a cunning plan that cannot fail.
mbmbmbmbmb
Baltar, who will go find the correct banners this evening

drnlmza: Baltar - 2 politics, 1 leadership
Sunchaser :
ed_hennessy:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Feindt
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

drnlmza: Baltar - 2 politics, 1 leadership
Sunchaser : Dee - 1 Leadership, 2 Tactics
ed_hennessy:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Pierre
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have no problem with going first, but I will wait with my decision on the card draw until everyone has picked a character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [30] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.