Subject: Just started watching the series... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it is awesome! I only saw the miniseries and the first two episodes of season 1 so far. Can't wait to get through the rest of it.

I've already played this game a dozen times before, but after just seeing this first little bit of the show, it adds so much to the perception of this game. I now understand why characters have the abilities and limitations that they do, and the crisis cards are so much more meaningful. I'm so pumped to keep on watching now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Before others pipe up and burst your bubble...

Some feel that the series peaked during Season 1 or Season 2 and went downhill from there. I am not in that camp. I really enjoyed all four seasons and was not at all put off by the changes introduced late in Season 2, Season 3, or Season 4. I also was not as bitterly disappointed in the ending as others, either. Just be aware that there are opinions out there and you may want to avoid them and judge the show on your experience before letting the negative waves possibly ruin it for you.

EDIT: To add that I really also enjoyed the "prequel" series named Caprica. It provided a LOT of back story about the creation of the Cylons and ramping up for the eventual First Cylon War. It was disappointing that it did not last more than one season since I feel that it had a lot of promise (just not as much, that is to say, zero, space combat).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:

Some feel that the series peaked during Season 1 or Season 2 and went downhill from there. I am not in that camp. I really enjoyed all four seasons and was not at all put off by the changes introduced late in Season 2, Season 3, or Season 4. I also was not as bitterly disappointed in the ending as others, either. Just be aware that there are opinions out there and you may want to avoid them and judge the show on your experience before letting the negative waves possibly ruin it for you.

EDIT: To add that I really also enjoyed the "prequel" series named Caprica. It provided a LOT of back story about the creation of the Cylons and ramping up for the eventual First Cylon War. It was disappointing that it did not last more than one season since I feel that it had a lot of promise (just not as much, that is to say, zero, space combat).

I also got Caprica to watch after BSG, and also the Blood & Chrome movie. I had some Amazon money and picked everything up all at once. I've checked online to make sure I watch everything in the correct order, including webisodes and all that, but will otherwise not be reading anything else about the series until after I watch it all so that I won't be spoiled with anything or have others opinions sway me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you make sure to get "The Plan" as well?
A nice little retcon movie to watch after the series is over, which sort of tries to make sense of everything.

Also, if you really want to watch everything there is a "proper" order to watch the series including all of the webisodes and stuff (some of which you have to go to Hulu for, since they're inexplicably left off of the DVD sets).

Something like this:
http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/3641/what-is-the-vi...
(Although I would watch Razor at the beginning of season 4, where it stands in "aired" order, because it's a good stopping point for a flashback movie)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Did you make sure to get "The Plan" as well?
A nice little retcon movie to watch after the series is over, which sort of tries to make sense of everything.

Also, if you really want to watch everything there is a "proper" order to watch the series including all of the webisodes and stuff (some of which you have to go to Hulu for, since they're inexplicably left off of the DVD sets).

Something like this:
http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/3641/what-is-the-vi...
(Although I would watch Razor at the beginning of season 4, where it stands in "aired" order, because it's a good stopping point for a flashback movie)

Yes, The Plan comes in the complete series DVD set, even though they make no mention of it on the packaging or even on the case that it is in. And they also include all the webisodes except for the ones that need to be watched after episode 11 of season 4.

I was going to watch Razor after season 3 when it was broadcast, and was going to watch The Plan after episode 15 of season 4, which I read was the best spot to watch it. it said watching it after is kind of a let-down to end with, and watching it before that episode will spoil stuff.

I've done all my research on what to watch and when, back when I got these over the summer. I finally finished other shows I had, and can now watch these with little interruption over the next month and a half or so (just taking a break to get in the weekly episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
I also got Caprica to watch after BSG, and also the Blood & Chrome movie. I had some Amazon money and picked everything up all at once. I've checked online to make sure I watch everything in the correct order, including webisodes and all that, but will otherwise not be reading anything else about the series until after I watch it all so that I won't be spoiled with anything or have others opinions sway me.
I thought B&C was a series of webisodes? FWIW, the terminology may not matter.

I did enjoy B&C, and wish they'd do a full TV series on that. I had that same feeling when watching Terminator Salvation again recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I thought B&C was a series of webisodes? FWIW, the terminology may not matter.

It was originally released as webisodes, yes. But a full movie version (which I believe had additional clips) aired on Syfy in February of this year. I believe that the DVD version for sale is the movie version from Syfy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:

I would recommend taking a break after the second season. After the season 2 finale, let the series rest for a month or two before starting season 3. The tone of the show changes considerably in seasons 3 and 4, and that can be a little jarring if you watch them coming straight from the tone of the first two seasons.

I like the last two seasons almost as much as the first two, but they are different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
I believe that the DVD version for sale is the movie version from Syfy.

Did you mean the BD version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played and loved the game for years. My wife and I recently watched the show for the first time and absolutely loved it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:

Hi from the haters camp.

I really liked the 1st 1.5 seasons...I feel like the writing started to go downhill (Scar was the breaking point for me, although I watched well into season 3). Like shows such as Lost, they clearly didn't know where they were going, and I feel they did a worse version than Lost in handling it. The "they have a plan" thing at the start of each episode was just rubbing it in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:

Hi from the haters camp.

I really liked the 1st 1.5 seasons...I feel like the writing started to go downhill (Scar was the breaking point for me, although I watched well into season 3). Like shows such as Lost, they clearly didn't know where they were going, and I feel they did a worse version than Lost in handling it. The "they have a plan" thing at the start of each episode was just rubbing it in.
What was wrong with Scar? I actually liked it. Then again, I have friends who are all sophisticated with a "better palette" for these things, so I sure as hell wasn't seeing it.

I hear with the first season of 24, they only had the first 12 episodes written out ahead of time. The last 12... they improvised and written them as the season was going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Like shows such as Lost, they clearly didn't know where they were going, and I feel they did a worse version than Lost in handling it. The "they have a plan" thing at the start of each episode was just rubbing it in.

The Cylons did have a plan - in fact, they had several plans and some of them even worked...

As far as making it up as they go goes, I thin BSG mostly pulled it off - if you follow it to the end, it mostly fits, without too many loose ends...

of course, YMMV (and obviously does)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
rmsgrey wrote:
galfridus wrote:
Like shows such as Lost, they clearly didn't know where they were going, and I feel they did a worse version than Lost in handling it. The "they have a plan" thing at the start of each episode was just rubbing it in.

The Cylons did have a plan - in fact, they had several plans and some of them even worked...

As far as making it up as they go goes, I thin BSG mostly pulled it off - if you follow it to the end, it mostly fits, without too many loose ends...

of course, YMMV (and obviously does)

My mileage does vary. It becomes quite obvious they had no clue what they were doing and the plot quickly degenerates. The characters start doing random things that are out of character, and most of the resolutions (both for the plot and for the characters) are poorly done. The big idea they were striving for ends up being a cliche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "The Plan" does a noble job of retconning the story to make it look like the Cylons had a plan all along. And that it wasn't a good plan, because the Cylons are not perfect.

Furthermore, I think the best thing to come out of the "Caprica" series is the reinforcement that the Cylons were acting like whiny teenagers who hate their parents because the template for all Cylons was the personality of a whiny teenager who hated her parents!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the journey is now over, and it has been amazing! I've watched all the episodes, webisodes, and The Plan. I can't wait to go back for the commentaries, deleted scenes, and other extras, but first I will be going through the Caprica series, and then Blood & Chrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
I think "The Plan" does a noble job of retconning the story to make it look like the Cylons had a plan all along. And that it wasn't a good plan, because the Cylons are not perfect.
Interesting factoid though... the story writers didn't have plan until The Plan was produced. The ".... and they have a Plan" was merely just a tagline for the longest time.

jozxyqk wrote:
Furthermore, I think the best thing to come out of the "Caprica" series is the reinforcement that the Cylons were acting like whiny teenagers who hate their parents because the template for all Cylons was the personality of a whiny teenager who hated her parents!

Too bad they couldn't grab Gandhi, or just someone who enjoys manual labor, moving around, and breathing the fresh air*

* this to be simulated for a cylon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:
Interesting factoid though... the story writers didn't have plan until The Plan was produced. The ".... and they have a Plan" was merely just a tagline for the longest time.

Yup, that's why I said "retconning"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
galfridus wrote:
... Like shows such as Lost, they clearly didn't know where they were going, and I feel they did a worse version than Lost in handling it. ...

Writing for BSG definitely has some low points, and I can understand why people wouldn't enjoy the series. But this statement leaves me at a loss.

Maybe BSG gets a pass from me because it's much shorter, or maybe the sci-fi theme helps me overlook shortcomings, or maybe we just have different tastes... but there is no way this show is worse than Lost in any way shape or form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.