Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michal Sebik
Czech Republic
Prague 10
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was a little unlucky and ended up with two aircrafts crashed, both full of weapons. (Both had 6WP of weapons, after all Pylon hits).
Does that mean that during SAR check, I can get rid of all of them and have a +6 bonus? Why? What is the logic behind it?

If I do not use these WP for SAR check, can I keep the weapons for future use?

What with other unused weapon that finish a mission.. Can I keep the weapons or they are lost (so that I have to "buy" them again for a new mission)?

Thank you,
Michal

edit: mistypes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
The WPs used for SAR checks do NOT come from the crashed aircraft. They come from any OTHER aircraft that were flying the mission. So if you had aircraft that returned home from the mission with unused WPs, then those WPs could be used to modify the SAR check for the downed aircraft. This is done on a check-by-check basis, so the WPs expended on one SAR check are no longer available to modify any subsequent SAR checks on other downed aircraft.

EDIT TO ADD: Once you spend WPs on a mission, they are considered consumed even if you bring back some unused weapons to your base. However, you can choose to use the optional Superior Ordnance Crew rules (downloadable from dvg.com) to allow the ability to reclaim unused WPs. This will cost 1 SO point for every 2 days of the campaign length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
And to another part of your question, unused weapons never carry over, unless you're using a house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
The WPs used for SAR checks do NOT come from the crashed aircraft. They come from any OTHER aircraft that were flying the mission. So if you had aircraft that returned home from the mission with unused WPs, then those WPs could be used to modify the SAR check for the downed aircraft. This is done on a check-by-check basis, so the WPs expended on one SAR check are no longer available to modify any subsequent SAR checks on other downed aircraft.

Exactly. Logically, the ordnance has been lost when the aircraft crashed. I always picture a fiery, cinematic crash with some secondary explosions from ordnance cooking off. But that's just me.

Granted, there is nothing explicitly in the rules about what the Crashed status means, so I can definitely understand the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Sebik
Czech Republic
Prague 10
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you guys, it sure sounds logical that you have to use WP of flying aircrafts

I kind of imagined Americans trading with locals... (pilot for weapons) But this is too wild. I guess this rule is here for a new option for flying aircrafts.. Safe the rockets for the crashed pilots.

BTW, your answers were very fast. I hoped I would have to have a break in my campaign.. waiting for an answer. But no. Now I must continue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Polda wrote:
I kind of imagined Americans trading with locals... (pilot for weapons) :) But this is too wild. I guess this rule is here for a new option for flying aircrafts.. Safe the rockets for the crashed pilots.

If it helps, think of the expended WP as 'covering fire' so the downed guy can escape easier.

And yes, if a missions starts to go tits-up it's often worth bugging out with a few remaining bombs for SAR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The logic is that the downed crew's friends are keeping the enemy away from the pilot on the ground and suppressing air defenses that could interfere with the rescue choppers.

It's about Viet Nam, so wrong period, but I recommend:

Cheating Death: Combat Air Rescues in Vietnam and Laos
by George J. Marrett
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
It's about Viet Nam, so wrong period, but I recommend:

Cheating Death: Combat Air Rescues in Vietnam and Laos
by George J. Marrett

I'll toss in a recommend for a fictional account named North SAR by Gerry Carroll (a friend of Tom Clancy). The author was an actual SAR helo pilot that served in Viet Nam and wrote a ripping good story about Navy pilots that understand that they're not likely to win the war but continue to serve with pride and courage in the face of grave danger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, you just crash your aircraft with structure hits, not Pylon hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.