Hide
12 Posts

The Supreme Commander» Forums » General

Subject: british hq rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
don p
msg tools
is the counter a misprint as a 2-0? meaning it has no movement? it is a 1-2 on the reverse side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Grossman
United States
Kerrville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know the answer Don, will have to wait on Dan I'm thinking, but it's
also listed as a 2-0 HQ in the scenarios and on the Unit Build Chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious about this too and then I checked one of the scenario set ups and I believe it was listed as starting in London. My only guess is that it is there in case an invasion of England ever happens, but other than that it is pretty useless. You could assemble it in the Mid East, but with the short range and no movement it's a waste of three corps IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question, and I’m anxious to see the answer. I’m thinking it can use naval transport or strategic movement but since only corps units can do that I guess it would have to break down, transport or Strat move the corps to the continent then rebuild into the HQ. From there it could use strategic movement again, staying on RR hexes.

But I seem to often get it wrong when I try to answer a question here on the forum, blush so we'll see what Danny says.

~ Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Grossman
United States
Kerrville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mirsik wrote:
I was curious about this too and then I checked one of the scenario set ups and I believe it was listed as starting in London. My only guess is that it is there in case an invasion of England ever happens, but other than that it is pretty useless. You could assemble it in the Mid East, but with the short range and no movement it's a waste of three corps IMO.

Yep, and my sheer guess is that's what the H stands for, Home Army?
Should be able to SR by rail, doubt by sea except by corps. But note that it's only a
TWO Step HQ per the chart so it appears only 2 corps needed to build it up? No firm clue what the asterisks on the chart reference to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have this down in the errata file to clarify, but if it works like the static HQ in Totaler Krieg: Axis Empires (of which, it seems, many of concepts are borrowed by Dan in his Supreme Commander design), then "yes", it is a 2-0 unit. Once formed (by two Corps), it is static and cannot move normally (still up in the air whether it can move by rail). As it is an Army, it cannot move by Sea (but can breakdown and reform per normal Army rules moving overseas).

The backside of the counter should either be "1-0" or blank, as (effectively) it is the last step of the HQ.

-K
acting developer [i]The Supreme Commander[/i/]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stangrossman wrote:
mirsik wrote:

Yep, and my sheer guess is that's what the H stands for, Home Army?
Should be able to SR by rail, doubt by sea except by corps. But note that it's only a
TWO Step Army per the chart so it appears only 2 corps needed to build it up? No firm clue what the asterisks on the chart reference to.

I've also been wondering what the asterisks mean. And if in fact it does mean Home Army I guess it would have to remain in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
I've also been wondering what the asterisks mean. And if in fact it does mean Home Army I guess it would have to remain in the UK.

The asterisks (four sets) are on my Q&A for Dan, so we'll get that straightend out soon enough. I'm sure he just wanted to include a small reminder of special rules from the rulebook, but it could also be something that got changed last minute (i.e. cut from the rulebook, but forgot to remove "*" from charts).

I would not assume that it has to remain in the UK, at least until Dan comments. The general impression I have been getting is that while "historical" use of counters may present the best results, Dan has not tried to overly script how people can run their country. If you want to send a 0 move HQ to an active theater, then you should be able to...it may not be the best use of the unit....but it might just be the perfect thing you need at the time.

Of course, Dan will likely now come and say the exact opposite...as that is how these things usually work for us developers soblue.

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbernatz wrote:
friendc wrote:

The asterisks (four sets) are on my Q&A for Dan, so we'll get that straightend out soon enough. I'm sure he just wanted to include a small reminder of special rules from the rulebook, but it could also be something that got changed last minute (i.e. cut from the rulebook, but forgot to remove "*" from charts).

I would not assume that it has to remain in the UK, at least until Dan comments. The general impression I have been getting is that while "historical" use of counters may present the best results, Dan has not tried to overly script how people can run their country. If you want to send a 0 move HQ to an active theater, then you should be able to...it may not be the best use of the unit....but it might just be the perfect thing you need at the time.

Of course, Dan will likely now come and say the exact opposite...as that is how these things usually work for us developers soblue.

-K

I'd have to agree with you Kevin. What Dan's posted thus far here on the forum tells me he wants to allow players maximum flexibility and not be historically scripted or rigid. Build a ground Army, a navy, air force, more tech or more diplomacy? Can't do it all so the decision is the player's. Any major can try to diplomatically influence any minor or Italy depending on whether you choose to play the adjacency rule or not. Early Soviet DoW of Germany? Why not, try it if you like. Germany starts at war with UK and France but not Poland. Max flexibility, cool stuff!

BTW, sincerely appreciate you stepping up and helping to resolve the issues with the rules. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
don p
msg tools
Thx for all the help! In the middle of game to with our play group. Posts to come. More you play more you like the game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Grossman
United States
Kerrville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the help is appreciated Kevin, and very good to see you both here and on CSW. Agree with Chris on the flexibility part as best I can make out from the rules and some of Dan's comments. I'm looking to start mashing the men together on the map tonight to see how things go .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
Great question, and I’m anxious to see the answer. I’m thinking it can use naval transport or strategic movement but since only corps units can do that I guess it would have to break down, transport or Strat move the corps to the continent then rebuild into the HQ. From there it could use strategic movement again, staying on RR hexes.

But I seem to often get it wrong when I try to answer a question here on the forum, blush so we'll see what Danny says.

~ Chris

Only corps-sized units may use transport.

It is a 2-step HQ with zero movement points. It can be built anywhere you like, but as guessed it represent the "Home Army" in the UK (readied for German invasion) It may of course be moved by Strat movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.