Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Clearing virus counters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I'm building my first virus-based Noise deck, and am getting a bit concerned that if my game revolves too much around actual virus counters, the corp's timewalk-to-clear-virus-counters ability will actually become a problem.

Do folks try to limit their exposure to the clear-virus ability, or is the upside of them losing a turn simply worth it? It's all theorycrafting right now, but I'm imagining how frustrating it's going to be when my Parasite, Medium, Crypsis, Datasucker, and potentially Chakana or Nerve Agent are all reset. A card like Deep Thought seems somewhat unplayable in a virus-heavy deck for this reason.

How does it play out in practice?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Virus-based Noise decks usually can build virus tokens very fast. Two turns after a purge you'll have most of your tokens back.

And Chakana and Deep Thought are crap, don't use them.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Look into Personal workshop decks; they try to drop a bunch of viruses on the same turn, sometimes mid run, in order to get the most value out of them. Along with this they are counting on their Grimoire to enable those drops to have more power.

You are right, too much reliance on the viruses will be a weakness. But, if you time it right, you'll have so much power in that one turn that if they waste a turn trying to stop you, you'll just own them on the next.

There's a few youtube videos on how to do things like a medium dig or something else; they are useful videos you should probably watch.

Chikana, imo, is going to be better in other builds that don't focus on virus counters where taking a turn to clear it spells disaster for the corp because you're laying on so much extra pressure.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:
I'm building my first virus-based Noise deck, and am getting a bit concerned that if my game revolves too much around actual virus counters, the corp's timewalk-to-clear-virus-counters ability will actually become a problem.

Do folks try to limit their exposure to the clear-virus ability, or is the upside of them losing a turn simply worth it? It's all theorycrafting right now, but I'm imagining how frustrating it's going to be when my Parasite, Medium, Crypsis, Datasucker, and potentially Chakana or Nerve Agent are all reset. A card like Deep Thought seems somewhat unplayable in a virus-heavy deck for this reason.

How does it play out in practice?


As a long time Noise player, I found it pretty easy to maneuver around the Corp ability to virus scan. There are a few particular things to be cognizant of:

1) Be careful about letting an advanceable ICE get away from you while it's hosting Parasite. If you can kill it with Datasucker tokens, do it, because if they virus wipe after advancing it for several turns to keep up with Parasite, it's very difficult to kill it afterwards.

2) Don't put too many counters on Crypsis, or you're just giving them a bonus few clicks they're stealing from you when they finally wipe.

3) Have a gameplan for how you're going to get your first Datasucker tokens back after a wipe. You've already mentioned Crypsis; that's the most reliable way to do it, but you do need to be cognizant of the fact that if you feel a virus wipe is forthcoming, you should do something to collect credits in advance of that happening so the tempo gap for you is shortened.

4) Having the Corp virus scan you after you load up Medium/Nerve Agent is almost waving the surrender flag - they didn't do anything on their turn to shore up whatever weakness in R&D/HQ let you barge in several times, so now you get to pick if it's more valuable for you to keep hammering R&D/HQ or do something else. The decision is in your hands and not theirs; that's a good thing.

Hope that helps!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:
I'm building my first virus-based Noise deck, and am getting a bit concerned that if my game revolves too much around actual virus counters, the corp's timewalk-to-clear-virus-counters ability will actually become a problem.

Do folks try to limit their exposure to the clear-virus ability, or is the upside of them losing a turn simply worth it? It's all theorycrafting right now, but I'm imagining how frustrating it's going to be when my Parasite, Medium, Crypsis, Datasucker, and potentially Chakana or Nerve Agent are all reset. A card like Deep Thought seems somewhat unplayable in a virus-heavy deck for this reason.

How does it play out in practice?


Your viruses WILL be swept. You just have to accept that playing Noise. Just prepare yourself for it, and have ways to get into central servers (in order to build datasucker back up). Generally I am happy when a corp sweeps, because they did nothing to advance their cause and used an entire turn to try to slow me down.

Virus counters, even though they get swept are more of an asset than liability.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Kernes
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hraklea wrote:
Virus-based Noise decks usually can build virus tokens very fast. Two turns after a purge you'll have most of your tokens back.

And Chakana and Deep Thought are crap, don't use them.


I have hard some good use out of Chakana. If the Corp ignores it then you are slowing down their Advance and if they don't they lose a bunch of time clearing counters each 3 R&D runs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try packing Inside Job for that worst-case scenario of massive ICE on each central to jump-start Datasuckers. In general it is rare sweeping hurts you more than it hurts the corp if you play it right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTY8hrvFck8
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't many virus scans you have to be afraid of.
You should make sure that when you are able to take down a big ice with parasite that you take the chance.
Everything else is fine at least if you don't play 2 full Imps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Drinkdrawers wrote:


I clicked through, and was wondering what the heck was going on... I don't have Humanity's Shadow, sadly, and hadn't seen that card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add my 2c, since Noise is my main runner -

I find that if the Corp is clearing virus counters, then I'm winning the game. I can GENERALLY build virus counters back up at a decent pace, so the corp losing a turn without building anything on their central servers is a victory for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Armstrong
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
LordNat wrote:
Hraklea wrote:
Virus-based Noise decks usually can build virus tokens very fast. Two turns after a purge you'll have most of your tokens back.

And Chakana and Deep Thought are crap, don't use them.


I have hard some good use out of Chakana. If the Corp ignores it then you are slowing down their Advance and if they don't they lose a bunch of time clearing counters each 3 R&D runs.


Deep Thought as a standalone virus has won me quite a few games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AZrugger wrote:
Just to add my 2c, since Noise is my main runner -

I find that if the Corp is clearing virus counters, then I'm winning the game. I can GENERALLY build virus counters back up at a decent pace, so the corp losing a turn without building anything on their central servers is a victory for me.


I think this is relative. You spend as much time building as the corp spends countering. If they clear every other turn Anarch can be held back for quite a while. I did this the other night, built up two Ronins with Jinteki and flatlined the runner.

On the flip side of that with NBN I use economy and draw, the latter is boosted SO well by Jackson Howard now, to seek and destroy. It's a real race that could go either way.

Anarch can be HELLACIOUSLY fast, but it's a question of patience on both sides. The runner can surge forward and turn the momentum, but at the same time a patient corp, who isn't being milled at too fast a rate, can also do quite well.

Edit: Spelling
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berton
Canada
flag msg tools
invictus_blue wrote:
LordNat wrote:
Hraklea wrote:
Virus-based Noise decks usually can build virus tokens very fast. Two turns after a purge you'll have most of your tokens back.

And Chakana and Deep Thought are crap, don't use them.


I have hard some good use out of Chakana. If the Corp ignores it then you are slowing down their Advance and if they don't they lose a bunch of time clearing counters each 3 R&D runs.


Deep Thought as a standalone virus has won me quite a few games.


Yeah, Deep Thought and Chakana seem best in decks where they are the sole virus. Not very suitable in Noise, because they will just continuously get wiped.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
LordNat wrote:
I have hard some good use out of Chakana. If the Corp ignores it then you are slowing down their Advance and if they don't they lose a bunch of time clearing counters each 3 R&D runs.


If you want to play a cost 3 virus program and run R&D three times, why not play Medium and save your influence?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dempster
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AZrugger wrote:
Just to add my 2c, since Noise is my main runner -

I find that if the Corp is clearing virus counters, then I'm winning the game. I can GENERALLY build virus counters back up at a decent pace, so the corp losing a turn without building anything on their central servers is a victory for me.


Cyberdex will change that though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
magnus_eisengrim wrote:
AZrugger wrote:
Just to add my 2c, since Noise is my main runner -

I find that if the Corp is clearing virus counters, then I'm winning the game. I can GENERALLY build virus counters back up at a decent pace, so the corp losing a turn without building anything on their central servers is a victory for me.


Cyberdex will change that though.


Still, it will mean the corp player put some Cyberdexes in the deck instead of something less situational. But it will be an annoying card against virus-based runners indeed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.