Jeff Brewer
Australia
DUNLOP
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm having a ball tracking my wave 2 shipment (bearing in mind that I live in Australia, and really only have a vague idea of where all the states are in the US).

However, I'm finding following the various sorting facilities the package has passed through to date to be baffling.

Looking at the map of the world, Australia is closer when travelling roughly south-south-west from the west coast of the US - it is half the distance compared to travelling from south-east of the US, as far as I can tell.

So far, shipping has gone as follows:

. Originated in Alpharetta, Georgia;
. Moved SW to Atlanta, Georgia (good, getting closer! :-));
. Moved SW to Austin, Texas (closer still...);
. Moved NNE to Chicago, Illinois (what! that's farther away, and it's travelled farther between Austin and Chicago, that it has between Georgia and Austin, to get there!?!).

I'm not familiar with the US postal system or USPS. Is this a normal occurrence for an international package? Mind you, I recently had a Kickstarter from the US come to me via Sweden - maybe someone though I was in Austria, instead??? lol

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All sorts of reason:
1) employee put it on wrong plane
2) it was moved towards a shipping out point but a facility closure meant its leaving from elsewhere
3) typical inefficiency
4) it was flagged for heavy inspection
5) etc

I give up on understanding the post office since most of management is inept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nestyr wrote:

. Moved NNE to Chicago, Illinois (what! that's farther away, and it's travelled farther between Austin and Chicago, that it has between Georgia and Austin, to get there!?!).

What you'll often find is that the big courier companies own and/or charter a fleet of planes, and they try to fill these planes to a most-economic level of cargo. The most economical route to get from point-of-sending to point-of-delivery isn't necessarily the shortest one geographically, because maybe the planes flying those routes are already full or they just don't have a plane linking those two points on the map.

Instead, their scheduling/dispatch software will say "hey, look, this plane from Alpharetta to Atlanta has some spare capacity which we're not using, so it's not costing us anything to put the parcel on that... and the one from Atlanta to Austin is the same, and then we can put it on this other flight to Chicago, which is where we actually need it to be in order to get it to Australia". Or Sweden, or wherever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brewer
Australia
DUNLOP
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Shipment received today, 9:30 am, AEDST.

No further shipping updates since the package left Chicago, so I guess tracking stops once it leaves the US?

I've done a fairly thorough check of the contents, and everything I ordered is there, including replacement cards for wave 1. Everything appears to be complete, and I had no issues with contents from wave 1, so fingers crossed.

All the miniatures look fantastic, and the terrain set is excellent.

Looks like I've got a fair bit of assembly and painting to do (I'm also waiting on DreadBall season 3 and Zombicide season 2, so I'd better put my skates on...).

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it went by USPS, USPS Tracking stops at Customs when it leaves USPS hands and enters the governmental postal service of the next country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.