Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume, I can steal flipped artifacts in PvP combat from wounded units of my opponent? And I am allowed to look at these flipped artifacts, before I decide, which one to steal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Being flipped does not make them hidden information, AFAIK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really understand the question anyway, the only way a banner attached to a unit gets flipped over is because the player used it. So how wouldn't the other player know what it is? Are we just talking about whether he can remember?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I don't really understand the question anyway, the only way a banner attached to a unit gets flipped over is because the player used it. So how wouldn't the other player know what it is? Are we just talking about whether he can remember?

Yes, indeed, I just talk about if he can remember. And if such a banner is selectable for stealing. I mean, it must have a reason, that a used banner is flipped, and not turned, repositioned, marked with a marker or similar?

The thief is not allowed to steal an artifact from the hand or from the deed deck of the victim. These cards are also not visible. I just wondered, if there is an interrelation to temporarily nonvisible banners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermjard wrote:
I mean, it must have a reason, that a used banner is flipped, and not turned, repositioned, marked with a marker or similar?

Why?

Are you saying you can't check a flipped skill? A flipped tactic card? That remembering this information that everyone has had access to is in some way relevant? It's just a very convenient way of indicating that something has been used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You may have a problem playing Krang if you can't check flipped skill tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! This is a spoiler!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fake name
msg tools
Hermjard wrote:
I mean, it must have a reason, that a used banner is flipped, and not turned, repositioned, marked with a marker or similar?

Turning a card sideways to indicate that it has been used is a mechanic patented by Wizards of the Coast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermjard wrote:

It must?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sunsplitter wrote:
Hermjard wrote:

Turning a card sideways to indicate that it has been used is a mechanic patented by Wizards of the Coast.

I'm pretty sure that isn't true...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slacks wrote:
sunsplitter wrote:
Hermjard wrote:

I think he was merely jesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
slacks wrote:
sunsplitter wrote:
Hermjard wrote:

I think he was merely jesting.

I think you are merely wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afaik the turning sideways is not protected. But the word 'tapping' for doing so is protected. (I don't know if it is a trademark or whatever...)
Also I read somewhere that this trademark (?) is expired... (I don't know if it is true)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
afaik the turning sideways is not protected. But the word 'tapping' for doing so is protected. (I don't know if it is a trademark or whatever...)
Also I read somewhere that this trademark (?) is expired... (I don't know if it is true)
It seems to be one of these things on t'interweb where there are definitive statements by lots of people, and they are somewhat contradictory. My understanding, though I accept I could easily be wrong, is that they DO have a patent, but have chosen not to enforce it. This is nothing to do with trademarks. Note that others that have followed afterwards have NOT called it tapping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.google.com/patents/US5662332

Quote:
As shown in FIG. 1G, the island card 40 has the name 24 "island," and the text 16 in the text box 30 indicates the card provides one blue mana or energy for the player to utilize with spell cards. The symbol of the "T" tipping on its side in the text 16 is the tap symbol 38 indicating the card must be "tapped" when the mana from the card is used in play. "Tapping" is an act of flagging the card to indicate to all players that the energy provided by the card is being used and is no longer available. This can be accomplished in various ways, including placing an object on the card, turning the card over or, more preferably, rotating the card counterclockwise approximately 90 degrees on the playing surface from an original orientation or position. Similarly, "untapping" means rotating the card 90 degrees in a clockwise direction to the original orientation or removing the flag symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slamin Perfect
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who taps counterclockwise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Slamin wrote:
Who taps counterclockwise?

I do... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.