Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am not that greatest at math and was hoping someone here could help me out. I am designing a game with 6 resources and I am wondering how many different combinations of 3 can be made with them. resources can be more than one of the three spots(ie. red, red, green). But position doesn't matter(ie. red, red, green and red, green, red are the same). This is a pricing system and I am just trying to determine whether I can use all possible combinations in my game, whether I will need doubles of some, or whether I will just have to use a portion of the combinations available.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
n: number of resources
k: how many you choose

combination with repetition: (n+k-1) choose (k), which gives (8 choose 3)=56
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for that quick response! I think that'll work for my game quite well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
6 all the same color

30 (6*5) two of one color and one of another

20 (6*5*4/6) three unique colors in any order

So 56 total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a good site for this sort of thing... it even produced this listing for me:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/combinatorics/combinations-permuta...

Quote:
Combinations with repetition (n=6, r=3)

List has 56 entries.

{gold,gold,gold} {gold,gold,ore} {gold,gold,steel} {gold,gold,wood} {gold,gold,beer} {gold,gold,sheep} {gold,ore,ore} {gold,ore,steel} {gold,ore,wood} {gold,ore,beer} {gold,ore,sheep} {gold,steel,steel} {gold,steel,wood} {gold,steel,beer} {gold,steel,sheep} {gold,wood,wood} {gold,wood,beer} {gold,wood,sheep} {gold,beer,beer} {gold,beer,sheep} {gold,sheep,sheep} {ore,ore,ore} {ore,ore,steel} {ore,ore,wood} {ore,ore,beer} {ore,ore,sheep} {ore,steel,steel} {ore,steel,wood} {ore,steel,beer} {ore,steel,sheep} {ore,wood,wood} {ore,wood,beer} {ore,wood,sheep} {ore,beer,beer} {ore,beer,sheep} {ore,sheep,sheep} {steel,steel,steel} {steel,steel,wood} {steel,steel,beer} {steel,steel,sheep} {steel,wood,wood} {steel,wood,beer} {steel,wood,sheep} {steel,beer,beer} {steel,beer,sheep} {steel,sheep,sheep} {wood,wood,wood} {wood,wood,beer} {wood,wood,sheep} {wood,beer,beer} {wood,beer,sheep} {wood,sheep,sheep} {beer,beer,beer} {beer,beer,sheep} {beer,sheep,sheep} {sheep,sheep,sheep}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.