BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Ontario

Subject: Ottawa - Older Gamers and MTG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey All,

I have a quick, yet somewhat embarrassing question.

I'm in my early 40's and I...sadly...just discovered MTG. I can't believe how deep this game can get in terms of strategy, and the collectible aspect of the game feeds my OCD nerd

Anyway, I go into my local shop (Wizard's Tower here in Ottawa) and I notice that most of the people playing this are kids in their 20's. Mostly college and high school. I feel a bit out of place so I usually leave thinking it's not my thing, but am torn a bit by the need to play due to how good the game is.

Set me straight here. Is this a game that I shouldn't waste my time on because the window has passed? Is there a place in Ottawa where "older" MTG guys go to play the game that I don't know about? Should I just stick to MTGO since age clearly isn't really a factor there? Is it just a matter of timing, i.e. older gamers go in the morning and not at night.

Thoughts? Comments? Similar stories?

Thanks in advance.
T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help you at all with Ottawa, but I would suggest also asking on MTG sites, such as mtgsalvation.com. Good luck exploring the greatness that is Magic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
tcsgamer wrote:
Hey All,

I have a quick, yet somewhat embarrassing question.

I'm in my early 40's and I...sadly...just discovered MTG. I can't believe how deep this game can get in terms of strategy, and the collectible aspect of the game feeds my OCD nerd

Anyway, I go into my local shop (Wizard's Tower here in Ottawa) and I notice that most of the people playing this are kids in their 20's. Mostly college and high school. I feel a bit out of place so I usually leave thinking it's not my thing, but am torn a bit by the need to play due to how good the game is.

Set me straight here. Is this a game that I shouldn't waste my time on because the window has passed? Is there a place in Ottawa where "older" MTG guys go to play the game that I don't know about? Should I just stick to MTGO since age clearly isn't really a factor there? Is it just a matter of timing, i.e. older gamers go in the morning and not at night.

Thoughts? Comments? Similar stories?

Thanks in advance.
T

No need to be embarrassed. There are plenty of great games 'out there' and you can't expect to know about them all.

I hope your OCD nerd has lots of money.
This thing is nonstop. This is one of the things that chased me out of it. I couldn't keep up, and because each new release means new rules, new set of cards, new deck building. I'm a working man and can't devote 40 hours a week to stay current. Plus, I didn't like how ridiculous (IMO (multiple effects, activation effects, etc)) the cards were becoming because they had to keep finding some new shtick to keep it being "new". I think some of the original (read `older`) crowd have gone the same way.

It's a great concept and can reward you with some rich game play, so don't let a tired cynic scare you away. Give it a shot and decide how deeply you want to sink into it.

I can't really help you with the Ottawa scene, either, except to send you in the direction of Fandom II (Laurier St, just down from Elgin in case you don't know them). They used to have game nights(/days?) and pretty sure these included MTG. If anywhere, I would think you would find the older crowd here.
Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Horton
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are never too old to play...

Do join the Ottawa Area gamers Guild on Board Game Geek (BGG) and meet others that play games. Lots of 40+ play at these meet ups.
http://boardgamegeek.com/guild/199
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I (re)discovered MtG in my early 30's. Then I tried to keep up with the "standard" format and discovered that it costs ~$2000/year to be anywhere close to competetive. Then I tried "Legacy" and built a single deck that is worth over $1000 in secondary market value (although I got a lot of the cards in a bulk trade and their values have since skyrocketed). At least that deck doesn't change much with time (although I was annoyed when several of the cards got banned).

The only format I play now is "Commander", and even in that format, I have individual decks that are worth over $1000. Moral of the story: the game is a money pit, and if I had a chance to do it again, I never would have bought in. On the other hand, I can probably sell everything and turn a profit on my initial investment, but I'll get hammered by PayPal/eBay fees, etc.

And no, I don't know where all these kids get their disposable incomes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
flag msg tools
electronicdad wrote:
You are never too old to play...

Do join the Ottawa Area gamers Guild on Board Game Geek (BGG) and meet others that play games. Lots of 40+ play at these meet ups.
http://boardgamegeek.com/guild/199

Joined. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll look into dropping by this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McDougall
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like Jeff, I gave up MtG long ago because of the never ending money pit. It's a great game but these days I limit my play to Duels of the Planeswalkers.

I get to see and play with a variety of cards without having to spend the hundreds (or thousands) of dollars that the game is designed to suck from your wallet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
I think most of us discover magic in high school / college... But over time you realize that its a huge money pit.

There are many games out there that are much better then magic, and won't hurt your wallet as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
I think most of us discover magic in high school / college... But over time you realize that its a huge money pit.

There are many games out there that are much better then magic, and won't hurt your wallet as much.

Good point. If you like what you've seen when trying MtG, consider Mage Wars. Unlike Magic, it doesn't have a broken resource system (i.e. "land screwage," not to mention the price tags associated with non-basic lands, should have killed MtG decades ago), and it won't require a second mortgage to play.

Or, if you want a game with a more competitive tournament scene that does require unending expansions and new cards and strategies but at a more reasonable monthly cost, consider Android: Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:

If you like what you've seen when trying MtG, consider Mage Wars.

I wish I could give this more than just 1 thumb.

I've been "collecting" MW stuff and haven't had enough play time with it. I keep thinking/hoping that will change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 31 and have been playing MTG on and off since I was 14. I would imagine I will still be playing when I'm in my 40s.

Everything said so far about costs is true - if you try to play the various "sanctioned" formats (i.e. store-hosted tournaments). You can however find ways to play without taking on a second mortgage.

For example, my wife and I host a magic league at our place on Sundays. Usually 10-12 players, mostly in their mid 20s to mid 30s, many are married and/or have kids. Everyone pays $20 for 6 booster packs and we use only those cards for 4 sessions (3 hours on sunday afternoons). At the end we divvy up the valuable cards based on the results of the league, then we take sign-ups for the next one.

Committing 3 hours a week on Sunday afternoons, and $20 a month is more reasonable for us than trying to play "competitively" at stores and such. People can also join up for whatever seasons (months) that they are available/interested and then sit out if they have other plans - overall a much more relaxed schedule and costing than the competitive/sanctioned magic scene.

There's also "cube draft" where you basically build a custom set of 500ish magic cards and then host a "draft" where everyone builds decks out of those cards. So you invest once in the cube, and can play as often as you want. You can always add/swap cards if you want to change things up but you're never compelled to spend money to "keep up". I personally have a 630 card cube of all old cards (from like 1994-1997) that I'm always looking for people to play with!

No denying that your average magic player is in his 20s, but the game's been around long enough and is popular enough that there are always 30-40 year olds at the big events too, to say nothing of us "old timers" who play around the kitchen table rather than at those big events ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bradley
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the Ottawa LCG facebook group, as others have said it's like magic minus the crazy cost.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/513340115405625/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
flag msg tools
I totally see the expense if MtG is to be a thing with me. Opening packs is just so much fun. It's like a little, mini-Christmas ;P. I'm really not looking to be competative in MtG. If I do anything with MtG, it will be booster drafting once and a while or playing with a casual group, and that's it. I don't think I can stomach paying the amount of money that is required for contructed format.

LCGs are a huge possiblity for me as I love playing Lord of the Rings. Also, I just discovered X-Wing which looks insanely good. Mage Wars I have not looked into, yet...but I will.

I like what you're doing, Darcy. Sounds like a blast.

I'm going to try and kick myself out of the house and go to one of these Ottawa board gaming sessions. It looks like a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add my + to the LCG count although I've only jumped in with Netrunner.

Yes, X-Wing is a good game and made even better when people go to the effort and expense to create this kind of experience.

Then the problem becomes having too many options that they all become money pits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
flag msg tools
kurt_purcell wrote:
I will add my + to the LCG count although I've only jumped in with Netrunner.

Yes, X-Wing is a good game and made even better when people go to the effort and expense to create this kind of experience.

Then the problem becomes having too many options that they all become money pits.

That, sir, is too cool for words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get into Magic. Your wallet will scream.

Go for one of these instead:

Android: Netrunner
Star Wars: The Card Game
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game

They are all superior games and will save you a ton of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW your wallet will still scream, just not as much.

I would include Mage Wars in that list as well. Do check it out. It's probably closer to MTG than any of the above... at least it is for me.

Better yet, come out to a OGG session in Westboro, or KCG in Kanata and have someone teach it to you so you can see for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
flag msg tools
Deefer wrote:

I would include Mage Wars in that list as well. Do check it out. It's probably closer to MTG than any of the above... at least it is for me.

Better yet, come out to a OGG session in Westboro, or KCG in Kanata and have someone teach it to you so you can see for yourself.

Yup. Mage Wars is on The List(tm).

I will probably head to the one in Kanata this week as I'll chillin with my kids tomorrow, unless kids are welcome to these things as well(?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one in Kanata isn't on this week. It's alternating Thursdays with this week being an off week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
tcsgamer wrote:
Deefer wrote:

I will probably head to the one in Kanata this week as I'll chillin with my kids tomorrow, unless kids are welcome to these things as well(?)

Regarding your comment about kids: I've seen some members bring their kids (usually around age 12+) but the crowd is usually adult. Kids have been well behaved and usually leave before it gets too late due to the fact that its a school night. (On the other hand, if you'd prefer an evening away from your family...whistle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
flag msg tools
Lockridge wrote:
tcsgamer wrote:
Deefer wrote:

Regarding your comment about kids: I've seen some members bring their kids (usually around age 12+) but the crowd is usually adult. Kids have been well behaved and usually leave before it gets too late due to the fact that its a school night. (On the other hand, if you'd prefer an evening away from your family...whistle)

Heh. Yes. I'd be lying if "getting out of the house" is not a motivation here. For tomorrow (Westborow), I may drag my 8 year old with me. She hits above her weight class with dice rolls, so she may come in handy. We'll see how tomorrow pans out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tcsgamer wrote:
Lockridge wrote:
tcsgamer wrote:
Deefer wrote:

Heh. Yes. I'd be lying if "getting out of the house" is not a motivation here. For tomorrow (Westborow), I may drag my 8 year old with me. She hits above her weight class with dice rolls, so she may come in handy. We'll see how tomorrow pans out.

I don't recall what the verdict was for minors at the Legion. Does anybody remember that discussion. Tried searching for it but did not find the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hominem Currentem
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
kurt_purcell wrote:
tcsgamer wrote:
Lockridge wrote:
tcsgamer wrote:
Deefer wrote:

I don't recall what the verdict was for minors at the Legion. Does anybody remember that discussion. Tried searching for it but did not find the answer.

If memory serves, I believe minors are not permitted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
flag msg tools
hominem currentem wrote:
kurt_purcell wrote:
tcsgamer wrote:
Lockridge wrote:
tcsgamer wrote:
Deefer wrote:

If memory serves, I believe minors are not permitted.

That works out. I'll go to the Kanata ones next week.

Thanks for the info guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this geeklist may be of interest:
Trent's top10 customizable card game list

I own 6/10 of them and played 8/10... apparently I like CCG's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.