Icebreaker (6)
3 Atman
2 Crypsis
1 Deus X

Program (7)
3 Datasucker •••
1 Parasite ••
3 Self-modifying Code

Discussing differences from kops' GenCon deck.

NO DIRTY LAUNDRY? Eh. I like the synergy when it works, but I'm not crazy about it here in general.

NO MODDED? Outside of playing RDIs, I don't dig it in this deck. Order-of-drawing issues.

NO SCAVENGE? I way prefer a single Pawnshop here. You can eat Casts, SMCs (after you've drawn out of utility), and even more important stuff in a critical pinch.

ONE STIMHACK? So far, I've never wanted to draw/play more than a single one in a given game. Maybe against HB? Not worried about it.

DIESEL?! The controversial change? When you can't draw into breakers/tutors (or even econ), you can get rolled. I'm a big fan of zero-cost draws in a deck that loves drawing.

NO FEMME FATALE? I go back and forth between it and Stimhack, but ultimately prefer the econ consistency to what-iffing Ice Walls and such. Big econ versus big cost.

CRYPSIS? TWO OF THEM? Definitely, and yes. I love to draw one as a utility answer to KatMan "solutions" like Troubleshot ICE in games I'd otherwise slaughter.

PARASITE? I doubt anyone's asking that question at this point, but it's an MVP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
astroglide wrote:

NO SCAVENGE? I way prefer a single Pawnshop here. You can eat Casts, SMCs (after you've drawn out of utility), and even more important stuff in a critical pinch.

Surely having 2 MU spare to install an SMC and still wanting 3 creds more than a 3rd/4th program qualifies as a critical pinch! But I like the idea, definitely seems more useful than scavenge in a deck with no test run and/or femme, or at least useful in more crucial situations. Eating plascretes once you've seen enough influence to decide you don't need them is another handy use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a side note, I can't WAIT for ambushes that destroy hardware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker

Event (11)
3 Diesel
1 Escher
3 Infiltration
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (11)
3 Clone Chip
3 Desperado ••••• ••••
2 Plascrete Carapace
3 R&D Interface

Resource (10)
1 Aesop's Pawnshop
3 Daily Casts
3 Kati Jones
3 Professional Contacts

Icebreaker (6)
3 Atman
2 Crypsis
1 Deus X

Program (7)
3 Datasucker •••
1 Parasite ••
3 Self-modifying Code

Discussing differences from kops' GenCon deck.

NO DIRTY LAUNDRY? Eh. I like the synergy when it works, but I'm not crazy about it here in general.

NO MODDED? Outside of playing RDIs, I don't dig it in this deck. Order-of-drawing issues.

ONE STIMHACK? So far, I've never wanted to draw/play more than a single one in a given game. Maybe against HB? Not worried about it.

DIESEL?! The controversial change? When you can't draw into breakers/tutors (or even econ), you can get rolled. I'm a big fan of zero-cost draws in a deck that loves drawing.

NO FEMME FATALE? I go back and forth between it and Stimhack, but ultimately prefer the econ consistency to what-iffing Ice Walls and such. Big econ versus big cost.

CRYPSIS? TWO OF THEM? Definitely, and yes. I love to draw one as a utility answer to KatMan "solutions" like Troubleshot ICE in games I'd otherwise slaughter.

PARASITE? I doubt anyone's asking that question at this point, but it's an MVP.

I'm of the opinion that pretty much all variants of Katman are strong right now, so I guess individual card choices won't make THAT much of a difference, but let's discuss it anyway.

I'm sceptical of Diesel here. I think Professional Contacts really shines in this deck. You want it out early and when its out you only want to draw through that. Since you run three of them I think including 3 Diesels will often be a waste. Of course, Diesel is rarely a BAD card, but I think other choices are superior here (personally, I really like both Maker's Eye and Indexing here - two cards which Justin K's GenCon deck didn't run either).

I can see the case for Crypsis, but I don't think the deck necessarily needs it. Crypsis is a very good problem solver for Katman, but so are Femme, Deus X and Parasite and ultimately you only have so many cards. In either case, if you include Crypsis, I don't see much reason for including more than one with all the tutors and Crypsis rarely being necessary.

Stimhack. I know a lot of people use it (including Justins GenCon deck). Personally, I don't find it necessary and would rather use my influence on 3xDesperado, 3xDatasucker, 1xFemme and 1xParasite. This deck usually has very good econ and Brain Damage is worse now with Cerebral Overwriter around.

I agree with cutting Scavenge. I thought long and hard about it and decided that other cards were better here. I rarely use the Femme anyway, where Scavenge shines the most.

Finally, I don't think you need Aesop's Pawnshop, but maybe that's because I've never been a good Aesop's player.

This is all nitpicking about cards that aren't essential to the succes of the deck (to me the defining cards for this Archetype are Atman, Datasucker, Pro Contacts, Desperado, SMC, Clone Chip and R&D Interface - the rest can vary). This deck is obviously gonna be strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Gauthier
France
flag msg tools
BlueSwan wrote:
Finally, I don't think you need Aesop's Pawnshop, but maybe that's because I've never been a good Aesop's player.

+1, I don't know why it's here.
You will use it on those ressources but that's not very profitable because in most games you won't have it or use it maybe one time.

EXPLAIN YOURSELF !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DIESEL: first, start with the premise that runners > corps. To the extent that's true, I'm generally happy to trade a slight edge in majority cases for higher consistency in minority cases. This mini-debate has gone on in this forum for a while: "with 3 Magnum Opus, 3 Test Runs, and a mulligan, I *always* have an MO out on the first turn!" Except that's completely untrue, for people that have played a lot (and don't stack their decks?). If (not when) that happens, you are going to be one sad panda if it also happens to be a league or especially a tournament game.

You basically need PC in this deck, and you *really* want econ like a Gamble in front of it. And you need an Atman (by any means), or your opponent can roflrush you. And then there's Kati, Desperado, and Suckers. And the desire to get off lots of free/discounted installs. And overdraws don't even hurt, because you can trash things for Clone Chip. I'm happy to Diesel a lot, even with PC in play, because of the high amount of needs and wants this deck has.

"Don't take my word for it," though - see the GenCon report for one example of people not always drawing want they want, when they want it: "The corp managed to put down a ton of EtR ICE and was scoring agendas behind them while I scrambled for a breaker. I drew through a large portion of my deck without finding either an Atman or an SMC," "He spent the first 5+ turns doing almost nothing but drawing (looking for Siphon? I forgot to ask why...) which gave me a pretty huge window to score some agendas," "This game was all kinds of disaster. He managed to score 4 AP behind a Chimera because I just couldn't find a breaker. I spent entire turns hitting Pro Contacts, digging through well over half my deck without any help."

"But he won!" you say. Well, it's a lot worse when you have elite opponents that know your deck (KatMan was novel), and know how to better-exploit timing windows. Like knowing when to rush, when to selectively overadvance and brutalize you with agendas like Atlas. Hell, if I *knew* my opponent was KatMan, I might even consider building an HB deck w/3x Mandatory Upgrades, just because the early scoring opportunities are so good against them even when they do draw well.

CRYPSIS: you want 2 because you don't want to tutor for it. It's expensive, it needs a counter to not explode (no on-the-runs), and the tutors are insanely valuable for on-the-run Atman/Parasite/Deus X installs (SMC) and Clone Chip for Parasite/Deus X/Atman recurs. If I tutor or recur a Crypsis, I'm either way ahead or way behind.

PAWNSHOP: in addition to Femme, one "traditional" use for Scavenge is to reinstall an Atman. Early game you can bring up a cheap 0-STR to deal with Chimera/Turret shenanigans, and then get it back at a fuller STR. Pawnshop needs a turn and a Chip to do the same thing, but it has higher utility throughout the deck. More natural with stuff like Casts, still common enough with things like pre-emptive Plascretes that no longer appear to be necessary, but in a pinch I've eaten just about everything in this deck at some point. Clone Chips. Empty Kati. Yes, even a PC to score a key agenda that I "couldn't."

The Pawnshop slot would be a second Escher. Escher can win or save games, but it's highly situational, and more so against KatMan-prepared opponents. And I abhor drawing two of them, much less an early one. I still think that would be a very reasonable choice, but Pawnshop is another one (like Diesel) that I would strongly suggest playing in a *lot* of samples to "see" it. But if you don't see it, cool, Escher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
I don't think Diesel and Professional Contacts are in conflict with each other any more than Professional Contacts is in conflict with Sure Gamble. Diesel makes your hands that don't have Pro Contacts better by accelerating you into your Pro Contacts, and Dieseling for 3 cards is usually a better use of the click than Pro Contacting for 1 credit and 1 card anyway.

If anything they complement each other. The deck that is structured to make good use of all the cards they draw with Pro Contacts is probably the deck that is also structured to get good value from Diesel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The deck also has lots of singletons: PC, Desperado, Kati. 6 cards are lock dupes, then there are context dupes, then cards you prefer to contextually discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.