Fury of Dracula (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wolf Form vs Escape as a Bat (Tim Uren Official Answer) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi friends!

A long, long time ago (back in 2010), RedShark92 posted this question on the FFG forum:

If Dracula Wolf Forms into a city containing a Hunter, with the resulting Combat ending by the play of a succesful Escape as Bat, does the Wolf Form stay on the trail or is it removed as soon as the city card is replaced by the Escape as Bat move?

I asked FFG for an official ruling, and got no answer but lately it happened that Tim Uren picked up this question and dropped me an e-mail with the answer. I think this could be of some help for the community, so I'm posting this here as well

JULIA

Hi Julia,
Here's your answer for the Fury of Dracula question:
When "Escape (Bat)" is successfully played as part of a combat immediately following Dracula moving as Wolf Form, the "Wolf Form" card remains on the trail along with the new (facedown) location card Escape (Bat) allows you to travel to. This is despite the clarifying sentence on the Escape (Bat) card that says "Do not place an encounter on it."

Hope that helps!
Tim Uren
Associate Creative Content Developer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey that's me!

Sounds like Tim is fairly official. Do you think he'd be OK answering any other questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joe!
Glad you've seen the answer then, it has been a long ride!
As for Tim, at the moment, he answered all the three questions I asked him (1 Fury of Dracula and 2 Arkham Horror related), so, I guess we could try...
If you (or anyone else) has a list of questions, please post all of them here, so that I can mail him the whole (crossing fingers clearly, and hoping he has time, patience and good will to answer everything)
Can't promise anything, but we can try

JULIA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to check - there are a few longstanding questions out there. Many came about in the series of PBF games run on here.

First one that comes to mind is Mina's ability:

Can she draw an Item only in a small city?

Let me see what else I can dig up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, no rush Just post them here (it's the only thread of the FoD I bookmarkerd, so I won't see any other notifications), or drop me a GM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this. I had sent the proposed FAQ to FF some time ago with no response or answers:

===Events===
Q: If Dracula plays Unearthly Swiftness and makes two moves by road, does he get to place two encounters?
A: Dracula places encounters only during his action phase, while he makes both moves from Unearthly Swiftness during his movement phase. He should only place one encounter on his present location. If Unearthly Swiftness was intended to allow placing two encounters, this would need clarification.

Q: If, due to the play of Unearthly Swiftness, 2 maturable encounters drop off the trail, can they both be matured?
A: A strict reading of the rules indicates that both encounters would drop off the trail before it is cleared, which would allow both to mature, however as this would be potentially game breaking in the case of 2 New Vampires, Dracula may choose 1 of the 2 encounters to mature. Whichever encounter is chosen, the other may be sent to the catacombs with its location card.

Q: When the hunters play Hired Scouts and select one of the locations on Dracula's Trail, and Dracula plays Sensationalist Press, what happens?
A: The location is not revealed. The hunters do not even know which of the two locations is not revealed. If both locations were on the Trail, Dracula would have to reveal one of them. If neither was on the Trail, Dracula could not have played Sensationalist Press. Sensationalist Press does not stop the revelation of encounters, so any encounters on the locations discovered by Scouts would be revealed in any case.

Q: When the hunters play Hired Scouts and select one of the locations on Dracula's Trail, and Dracula used Hide to stay on that location, what happens?
A1: Just as Hide is revealed when a hunter moves to Dracula’s location, both the location and the corresponding Hide card and both encounters are revealed by Hired Scouts.
A2: Only the location is revealed together with any encounter on it. The Hide card is not, and cannot be revealed by Hired Scouts (i.e., the hunters cannot specifically name the Hide card as their 2nd location), nor is any encounter on Hide revealed.

Q: If Telegraph Ahead reveals a location on Dracula’s Trail and Hide is attached to that location, is the Hide revealed as well?
A1: Yes, just as Hide is revealed when a hunter moves to Dracula’s location, both the location and Hide are revealed with Telegraph Ahead.
A2: No, Hide is a special power card which cannot be revealed by Telegraph Ahead.

Q: If a hunter enters Dracula's location, and there is no encounter chit on that location, but the hunter passes the East-West border or the location is a harbor, can Dracula play Customs Search?
A: Yes, Dracula is not considered an ‘encounter’.

Q: Can Customs Search be played on a hunter who uses Sense of Emergency to leave a sea location, if he does not move to a port city?
A: Yes. There is a FAQ ruling that it can be played on a hunter who uses Sense of Emergency to go from East to West, or vice versa, without directly crossing the border. Leaving the sea without directly entering a port is analogous to that. Similarly, if a hunter jumped from continental Europe to a non-port in the UK (say Paris to Manchester), Dracula could play Customs Search on the hunter (in Manchester).

Q: When Custom’s Search is played on a Group of Hunters, how many hunters lose their items and does that end the Group’s turn?
A: Dracula chooses 1 hunter to lose his items and the Group’s entire turn ends.

Q: Can Wild Horses be used to avoid the effect of a Vampire Lair event?
A: No, Wild Horses cannot be played for Vampire Lair since Wild Horses can only be played on a fight in Dracula's current location, which means that the hunter could not be drawing Events.

Q: Can Heroic Leap be played for a Vampire Lair event?
A1: Yes, Heroic Leap could be played and the hunter would lose D6 health while Dracula’s vampire track would be reduced by 1.
A2: No, Heroic Leap cannot be played since Vampire Lair is a special fight.

Q: Can Wild Horses be played if a hunter remains in a location with Dracula?
A: No, Wild Horses requires that the hunter move into the location with Dracula.

Q: Exactly how far can Dracula move a Hunter with Control Storms?
A: The wording says 3 sea moves, which are defined in the rules as embarking, sailing, and disembarking. So when using this card movement is limited to up to 2 sailing moves plus exactly 1 disembarking move or up to 3 sailing moves.

Q: If a minion is defeated in combat, but then reappears due to Relentless Minion, does it stay on the board if the combat ends without defeat the second time? Similarly in a 2nd example, if a minion was not defeated in combat, but then reappears due to Relentless Minion, is the Minion removed from the board if it is defeated the 2nd time?
A: Although it is unclear from its wording how Relentless Minion relates to the encounter marker, final disposition of the Minion counter is determined solely by the last combat involving the Minion. Thus in the first example, the Minion would stay on the board because it was not defeated in the last combat. In the 2nd example, the Minion is removed from the board and returned to the encounter pool since it was defeated.

Q: Can a member of a hunter group use Excellent Weather, Fast Horse or Chartered Carriage to move the entire group?
A1: Just as a hunter group cannot make use Sense of Emergency to move as a Group (as per FAQ), neither can a Group move by playing Excellent Weather, Fast Horse, or Chartered Carriage.
A2: Just as a hunter group cannot make use Sense of Emergency to move as a Group (as per FAQ), neither can a Group move by playing Excellent Weather or Fast Horse. It is possible, however, to play a Chartered Carriage event card when a hunter group moves by train since the Group my all move by train (p. 23 rules).

Q: How many Events may a hunter play ‘at the start’ of his turn? What about using Resolve as well?
A1: A hunter may play as many ‘start of the turn’ Events as he wants. (Blood Transfusion, Hypnosis, Long Day, Money Trail, and Stormy Seas). In addition, a hunter could also use 1 point of Resolve as well at the start of his turn.
A2: The ‘start of a turn’ is just that, before any cards or actions are played. Thus only a single Event card or Resolve us could take place at the start of the hunter’s turn.

Q: How long does Stormy Seas last?
A1: Stormy Seas lasts until the end of 2 full game turns (Rounds). Thus the hunter that played the card would be the first character able to move into the specified sea zone after each player had 2 turns.
A2: Stormy Seas only last until 2 characters have taken their turns. Thus, if Mina plays Stormy Seas, she couldn’t move into that sea zone and neither could Dracula, but then Lord Godalming could move there.

Q: When a hunter Resupplies, when do excess Event and/or Item cards need to be discarded?
A1: All cards must be drawn 1 at a time and completely resolved before drawing another.
A2: Play Immediately Events must be dealt with immediately, but a hunter may draw all Event(s) and Item(s) before drawing. For example, Mina could draw 2 Items and an Event (a hunter Keep) in a large city before deciding which cards to discard, if needed.

===Encounters===
Q: If a hunter meets a New Vampire at night, the die roll is 4-6, and the hunter lets the New Vampire escape, does his turn end?
In detail: There seem to be (at least) two different rulebooks for Fury of Dracula. In older versions, it explicitly says the hunter's turn ends. In newer (and foreign-language) versions, that sentence is omitted. Was this sentence omitted because the hunter’s turn does not end (an implied result), or was this an unintentional editing error? This confusion is compounded by the fact that the online rulebook available on the FFG site is still that of the older version.

It should be noted that the apparently newer version can lead to a situation which requires another question;
Q: If Dracula plays Escape as Bat while there is still an encounter (i.e., a New Vampire) on his present location, what happens to that encounter when the location card is exchanged?

Q: If Dracula has to move a hunter due to a Bats encounter, can he choose not to move the hunter? If he has to actually move the hunter, what happens when there are no valid locations to move the hunter to?
A: Dracula controls the hunter’s movement so he can force the hunter to remain in his current location. If the hunter has no legal land moves, then he remains in place.

Q: When an Ambush encounter matures, and Dracula plays an encounter such as an Agent, or, at night, a New Vampire, on a hunter who is in a location currently on the trail, will the encounter marker stay on the board if the hunter escapes from combat, or rolls a 4-6 and doesn't discard a Stake or Knife?
A: ?

===Fights===
Q: If a hunter fights a minion on Dracula's location, what happens after the hunter defeats the minion?
A: If the hunter defeats the minion, he then fights Dracula or deals with the next encounter if there is one. However, if the hunter manages to escape the minion, his turn ends and he does not fight Dracula or take any further action.

Q: Can Dracula use Escape as Bat or Fangs if he would have no legal move in the event he won the combat roll (combat in Cagliari, or all locations within 2 road moves are either occupied by hunters or already in the trail)?
A1: Dracula cannot play those cards if there are no valid locations available for a successful Bat Escape. This would limit Dracula's options in certain combats, through no fault of his own, apart from getting cornered.
A2: If Dracula plays these cards, and the roll results in this outcome, this is an illegal move and should be treated according to the cheating rules. The problem here is, in Cagliari, even clearing the trail won't provide a valid move for Dracula since he still would need a free land location. He'd be caught in a permanent cheating loop.
A3: If there is no valid location for a Bat Escape, Dracula remains in place.

===Dracula's Powers===
Q: Can Dracula play Wolf Form in combination with Double Back?
A: Yes, there is no restriction on combining powers.

Q: If Dracula escapes from a fight as a bat or bites a hunter using Fangs, his current location card is replaced by a new location. What happens to any power card (Wolf Form/Double Back) on the same position of the trail?
A1: When the location is removed from the trail, any power cards are removed with it. Dracula could immediately use them again.
A2: When a location is exchanged through a successful Escape as Bat, attach any power cards on it to the new location. While Dracula didn't play them on that location, that way he is still deprived of their use for the same amount of time.

Q: How is Hide affected by events which reveal cities in Dracula's trail?
In Detail: While it is clear how it is affected by events that reveal location based on their position on the trail, cards such as Hired Scouts or Telegraph Ahead could be interpreted in one of two ways;
A1: As Hide is not a city, it can never directly be revealed by these events. At most, it may become obvious to the hunters from the other revealed locations in Dracula's trail that it is the only possible card Dracula could have played in a specific position on the trail.
A2: Events that reveal cities will also reveal the Hide card, if it was played in that location.

Similarly encounters on Hide are not revealed with the exceptions being Hypnosis which reveals all vampires in the trail without regard to what type of card they are on. Also Local Rumours, which reveals encounters based on position in the trail, not type of card.

===Character Special Abilities===
Q: When Mina resupplies in a small city, can she draw only an item due to her special ability?
A1: If Mina chooses to resupply in a small city, she MUST draw an event, she may then draw an item or a second event using her ''Organised'' ability.
A2: Mina can only draw an Item in a small city since it is optional to draw cards during a Resupply.

Q: If Van Helsing escapes from combat through the playing of Escape Route, can he still make use of his Relentless ability to take an action? The wording on Escape Route says the combat does not take place, but the hunter "is still considered to have had an encounter this turn." The rulebook says "if he fails to kill his opponent in a combat encounter, then Van Helsing’s turn ends immediately."
A: No, the Minion is still alive so Van Helsing may not Resupply.

===Other===

Q: After a New Vampire matures and clears the trail while Dracula is at sea, can Dracula return to a sea location he came from, as it's no longer on the trail?
In Detail: The rulebook omits to consider this particular possibility - it is clear that hunters cannot do this, and Dracula normally can't, as the location will be on the trail and he cannot play the Double Back power while at sea.
A1: Dracula’s Trail is limited by the cards he may play on it so if the card is available after his trail is cleared, he may immediately play it again.
A2: Just as the hunters cannot double back while at sea, neither may Dracula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave, that's impressive!

I skimmed the questions, and plese correct me if I wrong:

1) Questions with only one 'A' are questions you're certain about the answer, but you believe they'd fit good in a FAQ update

2) Questions with multiple answers cover all the options for a given question, right?

So, it'd be enough for them just say "Question 4, Answer 2" and it's done, right?

I'll wait until next Monday (October, 7th) and then I'll try to contact Tim via mail and see if it's possible for him to help us again So please, all questions - if possible - before next Monday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juliet, yes, I tried to be pretty objective in presenting the questions and also tried to put them in official FAQ form to make it as easy as possible to get official answers. When I, and that really more of a collective 'we' from all of the play-by-forums that I've been involved with, thought the answer was pretty clear, there's only the one answer--but the question came up so I thought it would still be nice to have an official ruling. The one's with 2 answers, well I thought these were the most reasonable interpretations; however, there may be yet another answer(s) as well. I didn't want to get too involved with the discussion as more reading equals less likely to get an answer.

Oh, and there's one more too.

Q: If all 3 Heavenly Hosts are on the board and a 4th HH is played, can the hunter simply move one of the existing HH markers or are the HH markers fixed permanently once placed?

A: Just like the Consecrated Ground marker can be moved if the CG event is played a second time, so to can the HH markers be moved on the map if an additional HH card is played.

FoD really is an awesome game and there's just a few little sticky points that need to be ironed out. Most of these questions have come up in rules questions or in PBF games, so sometimes there are pretty discussions associated with them too.

Thanks again for doing this. As I said, I've tried the official FF way, but didn't get anywhere so here's hoping this will work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noted also your latest question

Everything's fine and sound, thanks.

As said, I can't promise anything, but it could be worth trying. We got a final FAQ for Descent 1st edition and Arkham, so maybe we could have one for this one too. Let's see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
FoD really is an awesome game and there's just a few little sticky points that need to be ironed out

True for a given interpretation of "few" :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
Quote:
FoD really is an awesome game and there's just a few little sticky points that need to be ironed out

True for a given interpretation of "few"
Thanks for the laugh.

Well most of these are pretty minor and are clear to me so I guess I'm not really counting most of them (but an official answer would be very helpful and the should be pretty easy to answer). The big ones to me are does an escaped NV end a hunters turn (various rules editions confuse this point), and whether Hide is revealed on Scouts/TA. Unfortunately most rules discussions on bgg just show the bad side of 'rules lawyering' and inevitably sours the game which is sad since FoD is such an awesome game and it seems to me it would take so little effort for FF support the game by updating the FAQ (especially when someone has handed to them on a silver platter). Here's hoping the red witch can work some magic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Noted also your latest question

Everything's fine and sound, thanks.

As said, I can't promise anything, but it could be worth trying. We got a final FAQ for Descent 1st edition and Arkham, so maybe we could have one for this one too. Let's see!

Descent 1E I get, but why is Arkham on a "final" FAQ? Are they considering it complete now?

Even if they're not adding anything new to it, it seems like its popular enough to keep selling what's already been created for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
Descent 1E I get, but why is Arkham on a "final" FAQ? Are they considering it complete now?

Even if they're not adding anything new to it, it seems like its popular enough to keep selling what's already been created for it.

Aye, that's very true, sorry, I used "final" not in a proper way. The FAQ arrived after Miskatonic and the new edition of the Pharaoh had been published, and after something like 6 years of waiting. So.. finally! And from here "final". Apologies, guys.
No idea of FFG plans for Arkham. I do really hope we'll see something new, sooner or later. I guess time will tell us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks!
Good news on the rules questions: today I've heard back from Tim Uren. He said it's ok to ask them the "unresolved" questions that emerged through the years, and addressed me to the guy who's responsible for FoD at the moment. He said it could require some time to get a detailed answer, and to be patient.
So, I'll post the questions you gave me in a few minutes, and, as soon as I receive some news back, I'll post the answers here.
Some more patience

JULIA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one am happy if they take their time and analyze the situations. If some staffer just threw out answers we would probably have a bit of a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dave65tdh wrote:
Statalyzer wrote:
Quote:

True for a given interpretation of "few" :D
Thanks for the laugh.

Well most of these are pretty minor and are clear to me so I guess I'm not really counting most of them (but an official answer would be very helpful and the should be pretty easy to answer). The big ones to me are does an escaped NV end a hunters turn (various rules editions confuse this point), and whether Hide is revealed on Scouts/TA. Unfortunately most rules discussions on bgg just show the bad side of 'rules lawyering' and inevitably sours the game which is sad since FoD is such an awesome game and it seems to me it would take so little effort for FF support the game by updating the FAQ (especially when someone has handed to them on a silver platter). Here's hoping the red witch can work some magic!

:)

I guess the reason why an escaped New Vampire should end the Hunter's turn is that technically without ending his turn the Hunter could try to face the same New Vampire over and over again. If the Hunter has Crucifix/Heavenly Host but no Knife/Stake than he could just roll until he gets the 1-3 result. I think this is not the intention of the game creators. It is the same like getting a 'combat ends' result against a minion/assasin. If that had not ended the Hunter's turn he would have been able to re-start the fight right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dave65tdh wrote:

Q: If a hunter enters Dracula's location, and there is no encounter chit on that location, but the hunter passes the East-West border or the location is a harbor, can Dracula play Customs Search?
A: Yes, Dracula is not considered an ‘encounter’.

The same question (ie. "Does Dracula count as an encounter?") is important for the 'Secret Weapon' card, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A1: Yes, Heroic Leap could be played and the hunter would lose D6 health while Dracula’s vampire track would be reduced by 1.

Seems the more thematically correct answer, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
: If, due to the play of Unearthly Swiftness, 2 maturable encounters drop off the trail, can they both be matured?
A: A strict reading of the rules indicates that both encounters would drop off the trail before it is cleared, which would allow both to mature, however as this would be potentially game breaking in the case of 2 New Vampires, Dracula may choose 1 of the 2 encounters to mature. Whichever encounter is chosen, the other may be sent to the catacombs with its location card.

It's also possible that they go in order, so if he picks the first one to fall off to mature, it clears the trail before the next one that "would have" fallen off can be sent to the catacombs, so if he wants to mature 1 and send 1 to the catacombs both, the matured one has to be the 2nd one to fall off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And this just came up in a pbf game--can Customs Search be played on a hunter when he enters a port city, but not from the sea, but from inland. Apparently this already has an 'official' answer from K Wilson (6 years ago), so this might as well be included in an official FAQ as well.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1523770#1523770

rcmoore4 wrote:
Hi folks,
So I emailed FFG customer support and got the following reply from Kevin Wilson (in less than a day!):

Quote:
Q: Can Customs Search be played on a hunter upon their entering a port
city from an adjacent city (i.e. the hunter is neither embarking nor
disembarking from the city's port, merely entering, via a land route, a
city that contains a port)?

A: Yes.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

That settles it!

And it's been awhile, any progress on this??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: Can Dracula use Double Back to remain in place?
A1: Dracula must move by road/sea and thus staying in place is not a legal move unless using one of his other powers (hide, dark call, feed) so he can not use Double Back to remain in place.
A2: Dracula can use Double Back to remain in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resurrecting this old thread... did anything ever come of the long list of questions sent to Tim Urien? Perhaps in another thread, or a file? (Although I can't find either.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.