Small World: Royal Bonus» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fireball too much op? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Suarez
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with the new races and powers yesterday, and my friend didn't understand the rules of fireball because he thinks it's too much op, that you can get new fireballs during troop redeployment, he taught that you can only use the fireballs once during a game, because otherwise it would be op. what do you think? Is fireball too much over powered? Maybe anyone can overexplain it so my friend can understand it?

note: I already get it, it's not really hard to understand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bananiel wrote:
We played with the new races and powers yesterday, and my friend didn't understand the rules of fireball because he thinks it's too much op, that you can get new fireballs during troop redeployment, he taught that you can only use the fireballs once during a game, because otherwise it would be op. what do you think? Is fireball too much over powered? Maybe anyone can overexplain it so my friend can understand it?

note: I already get it, it's not really hard to understand

Tell him to play the iPad app...then he can see the official rules in effect! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
trying to cut back on expansions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Races, powers, and race-power combos that are overpowered get balanced by the players in-game.

Someone picks up Pillaging Orcs?
Your job - attack them viciously, and convince the other players that it's in their best interests to do so as well. The game is self-balancing like that.
In our group - players are hesitant to pick up the kickass race-power combo because they know they'll get trounced by everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D F Visker
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Amicis Inimicis Promptus
mbmbmbmb
clawster wrote:
Races, powers, and race-power combos that are overpowered get balanced by the players in-game.

agree, that's also how it works with my gaming friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly your friend wouldn't agree with the Were- power either. With that you can take as many regions as your troops will allow at -2 tokens each. (!!!) The fireball allows you to take a maximum of 4 regions at -2 tokens. I haven't yet seen anybody actually get all 4 in the same turn (although I have seen people save them for the next turn.)

Fireballs don't give you any bonus coins. You still have to outscore everyone else to win.

TATQ: Yes, you do exactly as the rules say--1 fireball token per magic region you occupy after your conquest phase. The confusion over whether they are "single-use" tokens or not is understandable. The rules say:
Quote:
They are discarded once used.

This is somewhat poor word choice, because it leaves us with the question: "Discarded where?" Fortunately as was already mentioned, we have the iPad App to go to for a confirmation of how this is supposed to work.

Unlike every other race and power in Small World which was made in the real world and then programmed into the App, the Royal Bonus powers & races were created for the App, then made into cardboard (in some cases with difficulty and inelegance). This is one time where I can say with 100% certainty that the App is the official ruling on this question.

Just tonight, on the App, in the space of 2 turns I earned 5 fireball tokens. I got 2 on the 1st turn. Used them both on the 2nd turn, and then got 3 more later in that same turn. (2 + 3 = 5, not 4.) If there were being discarded "to the tray" like a conquered race token is, then yes, they would be out of play. But I think we are overlooking something in the rules description:
Quote:
Fireballs count as 2 race tokens but may only be used during an attack...

They count as 2 race tokens. They don't give you a -2 attack (like Were- does). They count as +2 toward your attack. This +2, like the Amazons +1(x4), is only used during an attack. Just like the Encampments +1(x5) is used only for defense. Unlike these examples a player is not guaranteed a certain number of fireballs every turn--whereas you always get 4 Amazons and 5 Encampments. All of the fireballs remain out of play until you earn them. Once earned, they move to "in hand" status. Once used, they are removed back to "out of play" status. Hope this spacial explanation helps you make sense of this power. It really seems a lot simpler in-App, and that's how it was meant to be.

Really, they are most like the Iron Dwarves and their Silver Hammers (from Small World Underground).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Suarez
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the answers! What a good community BGG is

Exactly what i thought, and even if we would play wrong with a power, it's balanced by other players!

The problem is he is grasping in the thin air, because he says the power says;
"but may only be used during an attack on one of your following turns"

and by that he means it can only be used once (and also because of the discarded thing), but i can't see it! it would be under powered too if you only can use maximum of 4 fireballs and then they are discarded forever.
Thanks on clearing about the discarded thing, it will help my friend see it

Quote:

Really, they are most like the Iron Dwarves and their Silver Hammers (from Small World Underground).

I said that too! Haha, so now i can show him all of your answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.