Subject: Stripping paint, a cautionary tale rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was suggested to me long ago that sometimes my purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others. This is one of those times.

There has been some mention on the boards here an elsewhere that Winsor & Newton Brush Cleaner and Restorer is a good choice for stripping models. I can't argue with that point at all!

First I tested on a small portion of my X-Wing. Then I managed to brush it on and get the red marking off pretty easily. I should have stopped there.

Instead, I decided to try and get the black paint out of the nooks and crannies of the model, and for that I needed a good soak.

Results after one hour (mostly submerged):

So let this be a caution to everyone else. It will strip the paint, but it IS solvent-enough to eat the plastic.

I plan to show post a progression later on. Gravity is still making my model bend further, even after a rinse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Burke
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Part Owner, Gen Con Games Library
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Stripping paint, a cautionary talehttp://geekdo-images.com/images/icons/silkicons/camera_arrow.png
WOW! Just to clarify... you did not soak it immersed in the cleaner, but just let the brushed-on stuff sit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did mostly submerse it for the long soak like I have done with Simple Green hundreds of times. I've added detail to my post above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tirelli
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to see what happened to you...

In W&N's defense, they do have a warning in the bottle to not use on plastics.

I use it all the time for my metal models, as it works wonders and removes paint in seconds/minutes, but it is a big no no for plastics.

EDIT: BTW, I wish you luck, but in my experience, the surface of the plastics will remain sticky and it will be impossible to apply paint on it after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little bit of drybrushing with a few shades of green and you've got Luke's X-Wing on Dagobah. Nice job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:
A little bit of drybrushing with a few shades of green and you've got Luke's X-Wing on Dagobah. Nice job!

LOL, I was just kicking that idea around with someone! It is not quite right for a burning wreck but I could cover it with some seaweed-like material
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:

This was my very first thought as I saw the picture!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RecklessFable wrote:
scubadawg1 wrote:

LOL, I was just kicking that idea around with someone! It is not quite right for a burning wreck but I could cover it with some seaweed-like material

Maybe mix in some static grass with some green paint to get that stringy look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.