Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some ambiguity in the rules about how storms move, exactly.

The rules say that you play the role of the storm, more or less. You draw the number of cars equal to the storm level, and then resolve them one at a time.

The combination of those two suggests that you can order them in any manner (or resolve them in any order you want, another way to say the same thing).

Otherwise, why draw cards equal to the storm level, then place them? Why draw and resolve them one at a time equal to the storm number? Why draw that number, then resolve? That, coupled with the "play the role of the storm" language suggests that you can determine order.

Just a thought. It would add another layer of strategy, and I don't think it's a game breaker (as forcing the storm to stay in the corner doesn't seem always possible).

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason it says to draw the number and then play them in order is so you don't get confused if one of the cards increases the storm level to the next mark. If you're drawing 3 cards, then one of those 3 cards causes the storm level to go up to 4, you've already drawn 3 and just continue to play those 3 until the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkrajew wrote:
The reason it says to draw the number and then play them in order is so you don't get confused if one of the cards increases the storm level to the next mark. If you're drawing 3 cards, then one of those 3 cards causes the storm level to go up to 4, you've already drawn 3 and just continue to play those 3 until the next turn.

If you're in a distracting environment, or get interrupted, it's easy to lose track of how many storm cards you've played this turn; if you draw them immediately you can still recount to be sure you've got the right number...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can appreciate what you're saying, but counting the discards of the storm cards played would seem to suffice. I'm not sure how drawing 3 cards then playing them one at a time is better than just drawing until you've played (discarded) 3 storm cards, regardless of what any individual card does to the storm level. If you really can't remember the number, maybe put aside any storm cards until the end and then advance the storm number, since they don't have any function mid-card-play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
civet5285 wrote:
I can appreciate what you're saying, but counting the discards of the storm cards played would seem to suffice. I'm not sure how drawing 3 cards then playing them one at a time is better than just drawing until you've played (discarded) 3 storm cards, regardless of what any individual card does to the storm level. If you really can't remember the number, maybe put aside any storm cards until the end and then advance the storm number, since they don't have any function mid-card-play.

Counting the discards requires you to know how many cards were in the discard pile at the start of the turn.

I've had moments in games where, for a brief moment, I had trouble remembering whether I'd turned over 3 or 4 cards so far...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether you draw them all, then resolve and discard them one at a time or if you draw and resolve them one at a time and discard them all together or if you draw and resolve and discard them one at a time... what difference does it make? Do what make you happy and move on.

No, you don't get to reorder the cards. Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Counting the discards requires you to know how many cards were in the discard pile at the start of the turn."

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that I generally make a small pile of just the cards I resolved in my turn (or whoever's turn it is). Just count them up and make sure they match the storm number. Resolve storm rises cards at the end and change number after making certain of storm cards resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Whether you draw them all, then resolve and discard them one at a time or if you draw and resolve them one at a time and discard them all together or if you draw and resolve and discard them one at a time... what difference does it make? Do what make you happy and move on."

Thanks for permission to be happy. You're sure it's okay?

And I'll move on when I'm damned well ready. If you don't want to read and respond, you move on.

No there's no difference in effect, but counting out the cards then resolving them as opposed to just drawing up to the storm number seemed to have no real function to me, although I concede their value as a way to check the number of cards. I haven't used them that way, but a couple of thoughtful responses on this post convinces me of the utility of it.

"No, you don't get to reorder the cards. Period."

Thanks for your opinion. Period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
civet5285 wrote:
There is some ambiguity in the rules about how storms move, exactly.

The rules say that you play the role of the storm, more or less. You draw the number of cars equal to the storm level, and then resolve them one at a time.

The combination of those two suggests that you can order them in any manner (or resolve them in any order you want, another way to say the same thing).

Otherwise, why draw cards equal to the storm level, then place them? Why draw and resolve them one at a time equal to the storm number? Why draw that number, then resolve? That, coupled with the "play the role of the storm" language suggests that you can determine order.

Just a thought. It would add another layer of strategy, and I don't think it's a game breaker (as forcing the storm to stay in the corner doesn't seem always possible).

What do you think?

My rules say REVEAL them one at a time, so no I don't think it's up to you the order in which they are applied ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we played, we'd just take a card, resolve it, take another card, resolve it, up to the storm level. However, there have been a couple of times when we got to talking or otherwise distracted and then weren't quite sure whether we had drawn and resolved say 3 or 4, so we now do as another poster suggested and make a separate discard pile while working through the storm cards (to keep track) and then move them all to the main discard pile when it is the start of the next players turn. Works for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.