Subject: Teaching deck choices rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to teach/play my first ftf this week, I'm just wondering if I should use the suggested Shaper vs Jinteki, or another combination. Using just the core set.

What would you suggest?

I'm going to set up a sample situation, with a couple of servers and some Ice and set the runner up with a couple of installed ice breakers and a few good/workable cards in hand. Plus a bank of credits for each side, just to show how a run will work.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I see it the corp choices for a teaching game stand between Jinteki and Haas-Bioroid.

The problem with Jinteki is that the if the runner is reckless he could end up being flatlined in short order. Always make sure to show the runner Snare!, Project Junebug and Neural Katana before you start playing so they know what they're up against.
Even so, some players may be put off by an anticlimactic Snare! flatline, while others will relish the mindgames.
It's up to you to pick what you think will best suit your friend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Decks have been edited into this post. They are in no way meant to be effective competitive decks, but are more meant for teaching.)

Having taught probably close to 100 adults and young adults, I like teaching the game in the following way:

0) We watch FFG's rules tutorial. Love it or hate it, the tutorial helps introduce the game. Also, I make a point to touch on some of the themeatic points, such as that as a Runner, you're jacked in and attempted to steal secrets by mentally running through cyberspace. It makes explanations for cards like Scorched Earth (someone just blew your apartment up while you were running) fun. Theme is great in Netrunner.
The tutorial is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y

1) They play as Shaper or Criminal. I ask if they prefer planning (Shaper) or rushing in (Criminal) and I set them up with Kate/Gabe. They go through the deck and identify the use for certain programs. I avoid cards like Personal Workshop that take a lot of explanation, though I still do leave in Femme Fatale. Recently, I've even set up hypothetical runs of programs vs ICE and the player has to correctly identify how many credits it takes to get through. After that, we're ready to play.

Introductory Shaper Deck (Kate)
Event (18)
Diesel (Core #34) x3
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control #52) x3
Infiltration (Core #49) x2
Modded (Core #35) x2
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
Test Run (Cyber Exodus #47) x2
The Maker's Eye (Core #36) x3

Hardware (6)
The Personal Touch (Core #40) x2
The Toolbox (Core #41) x2
R&D Interface (Future Proof #107) x2

Program (13)
Corroder (Core #7) x2 ■■
Femme Fatale (Core #26) x1 ■
Gordian Blade (Core #43) x2
Ninja (Core #27) x2 ■■
Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control #46) x2
Sneakdoor Beta (Core #28) x1 ■■■
Snowball (Trace Amount #27) x1
Yog.0 (Core #14) x1 ■
Magnum Opus (Core #44) x1

Resource (8)
Armitage Codebusting (Core #53) x3
Daily Casts (Creation and Control #53) x3
Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow #91) x2

Introductory Criminal Deck (Gabe)
Event (21)
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control #52) x3
Easy Mark (Core #19) x3
Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus #43) x3
Forged Activation Orders (Core #20) x3
Inside Job (Core #21) x3
Special Order (Core #22) x3
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3

Hardware (4)
Desperado (Core #24) x2
HQ Interface (Humanity's Shadow #85) x2

Program (11)
Corroder (Core #7) x2 ■■
Femme Fatale (Core #26) x2
Gordian Blade (Core #43) x2 ■■■
Ninja (Core #27) x2
Sneakdoor Beta (Core #28) x2
Yog.0 (Core #14) x1 ■

Resource (9)
Armitage Codebusting (Core #53) x3
Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow #91) x2
Mr. Li (Future Proof #105) x2
Xanadu (Humanity's Shadow #82) x2 ■■

2) I play as a Weyland deck... ...that doesn't have Scorched earth or really any of the tag punishment. It has lots of Neutral ICE and really uncomplicated ICE. No traces. Few tags. This is to give them an idea of the flow of the game; there are still some traps, but we're avoiding things that complicate the run. This is certainly not a competitive deck.

Weyland Introduction to Running Deck (Building a Better World)
Agenda (9)
False Lead (A Study in Static #80) x2
Government Contracts (A Study in Static #77) x2
Priority Requisition (Core #106) x2
Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead #18) x3

Asset (6)
Melange Mining Corp (Core #108) x2
PAD Campaign (Core #109) x2
Project Junebug (Core #69) x2 ■

ICE (20)
Bastion (Creation and Control #26) x3
Chimera (Cyber Exodus #60) x3
Datapike (Creation and Control #27) x3
Enigma (Core #111) x3
Rototurret (Core #64) x3 ■
Tollbooth (Core #90) x1 ■■
Wall of Static (Core #113) x2
Neural Katana (Core #77) x2 ■■

Operation (10)
Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3
Beanstalk Royalties (Core #98) x3
Green Level Clearance (A Study in Static #70) x2 ■
Successful Demonstration (Creation and Control #14) x2 ■

3) After this game, I switch to HB, adding in explanations briefly about traces and showing how bioroids work in general. Also, this is where I explain upgrades and how they are installed. Meanwhile, they're either sticking with the same runner deck or swapping over to the initial deck.

HB Traces, Bioroids, & Upgrades Deck
Agenda (9)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core #55) x3
Mandatory Upgrades (What Lies Ahead #11) x2
Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus #51) x2

Asset (6)
Adonis Campaign (Core #56) x2
Aggressive Secretary (Core #57) x2

ICE (20)
Eli 1.0 (Future Proof #110) x3
Hourglass (A Study in Static #71) x1
Ichi 1.0 (Core #62) x2
Janus 1.0 (What Lies Ahead #12) x2
Rototurret (Core #64) x3
Tollbooth (Core #90) x2 ■■
Viktor 1.0 (Core #63) x2
Viper (Cyber Exodus #52) x2
TMI (What Lies Ahead #17) x2 ■
Wall of Thorns (Core #78) x1 ■

Operation (6)
Archived Memories (Core #58) x3

Upgrade (8)
Corporate Troubleshooter (Core #65) x2
Experiential Data (Core #66) x2
Akitaro Watanabe (Core #79) x2 ■■
Red Herrings (Core #91) x2 ■■

4) Next up: Jinteki! Again, the runner player has the option to switch between the two runners. With Jinteki, I focus on the deception of letting the runner through and focus on concepts such as jacking out, encounter order, and of course the nature of net damage and flatlining. The specific Jinteki deck I have built for this also deals in advancing ICE and Trick of Light, so that's another element. And traps, traps, traps.

Jinteki: An Introduction to Tricks and Traps
Agenda (11)
Braintrust (What Lies Ahead #14) x3
Nisei MK II (Core #68) x3
Fetal AI (Trace Amount #32) x3
Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control #23) x2

Asset (13)
Project Junebug (Core #69) x2
Ronin (Future Proof #112) x2
Snare! (Core #70) x3
PAD Campaign (Core #109) x2
Edge of World (Cyber Exodus #53) x2
Cerebral Overwriter (Creation and Control #9) x2 ■■

ICE (20)
Chum (Core #75) x3
Data Mine (Core #76) x2
Neural Katana (Core #77) x3
Snowflake (What Lies Ahead #15) x2
Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus #56) x3 ■
Janus 1.0 (What Lies Ahead #12) x1 ■■■
Ice Wall (Core #103) x2 ■
Shadow (Core #104) x3 ■
Whirlpool (Humanity's Shadow #94) x1

Operation (5)
Trick of Light (Trace Amount #33) x2

5) Now it's time for NBN. Here I focus full-force on making sure the runner understands fully how to choose their battles with traces (you can't win them all) and also focus on the existence of tag punishment via several nasty effects. It's here the runner learns why tags are bad. Also, it's usually about here the runner learns the importance of capitalizing on a run when you can: NBN doesn't let you sit around, usually. Also, if the runner hasn't switched between Criminal and Shaper by this point, I ask them to try out the one they hadn't tried.

NBN: The Truth About Tags and Traces
Agenda (12)
AstroScript Pilot Program (Core #81) x3
Breaking News (Core #82) x3
False Lead (A Study in Static #80) x2
Project Beale (Future Proof #115) x3
Executive Retreat (Trace Amount #39) x1

Asset (8)
Ghost Branch (Core #87) x1
Marked Accounts (Cyber Exodus #55) x2
Snare! (Core #70) x3 ■■

ICE (17)
Chimera (Cyber Exodus #60) x3
Data Raven (Core #88) x3
Draco (What Lies Ahead #20) x2
Flare (Future Proof #117) x1
Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus #56) x3
Tollbooth (Core #90) x2
Ice Wall (Core #103) x3 ■

Operation (6)
Closed Accounts (Core #84) x2
Freelancer (Trace Amount #40) x1
Midseason Replacements (Future Proof #116) x1
Psychographics (Core #85) x1
SEA Source (Core #86) x1

Upgrade (6)
Corporate Troubleshooter (Core #65) x3 ■
SanSan City Grid (Core #92) x3

6) Switch Up: Runner's Choice of Corp! So, now the Runner can pick which of the four corps to run against. They pick. Then I challenge them to pilot an Anarch deck (which most newbies find to be the hardest runner). This of course introduces virus counters and even the milling strategy against the corp.

Intro to Anarchs Deck (Noise)
Event (13)
Stimhack (Core #4) x2
Surge (Humanity's Shadow #81) x3
Test Run (Cyber Exodus #47) x3 ■■■
Deja Vu (Core #2) x3
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x2

Hardware (2)
Grimoire (Core #6) x2

Program (26)
Corroder (Core #7) x1
Crypsis (Core #51) x3
Yog.0 (Core #14) x1
Darwin (Future Proof #102) x1
Parasite (Core #12) x3
Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus #41) x2
Medium (Core #10) x3
Imp (What Lies Ahead #3) x3
Djinn (Core #9) x3
Datasucker (Core #8) x3
Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control #46) x1 ■■■
Femme Fatale (Core #26) x1 ■
Deep Thought (Future Proof #108) x1 ■■

Resource (4)
Liberated Account (Trace Amount #22) x2
Ice Carver (Core #15) x2

7) FINAL EXAM: Back to Weyland. Runner picks of their three Runner decks. I play a Weyland deck that acts as a full examination of Netrunner rules. It's got traps, traces, tag punishment, advancing, and some of the generally nastier tricks, all complimented by finally giving the runner a game against Weyland with the damned Scorched Earth.

Weyland: Final Examination
Agenda (12)
Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead #18) x3
Posted Bounty (Core #95) x3
Hostile Takeover (Core #94) x3
Corporate War (Future Proof #120) x1

Asset (5)
Snare! (Core #70) x2 ■■
Dedicated Response Team (Future Proof #118) x1

ICE (20)
Archer (Core #101) x1
Data Raven (Core #88) x1 ■■
Draco (What Lies Ahead #20) x2
Viper (Cyber Exodus #52) x2 ■
TMI (What Lies Ahead #17) x2 ■
Shadow (Core #104) x2
Caduceus (What Lies Ahead #19) x2
Hunter (Core #112) x2
Bastion (Creation and Control #26) x3
Datapike (Creation and Control #27) x3

Operation (10)
Closed Accounts (Core #84) x1 ■
Scorched Earth (Core #99) x3
Beanstalk Royalties (Core #98) x3

Upgrade (2)
ChiLo City Grid (Trace Amount #36) x2 ■■

8) Flip the Tables. Now the Runner becomes the Corp. I could detail approaches here, but I've noticed every person I teach is eager to try their hand at a different Corp and so I'd say from here it becomes more of a matter of just playing them game. (Also, this is where I'd break out stronger Runner decks.) Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
This sounds like quite a solid setup. Care to share the decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm evil. I give them free choice between the runner decks I happen to have with me, explain almost everything (except traces and tags, those will be explained when they first come up), and off we go.

It helps that about the only folks I can convince to give it a go have an extensive MtG background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:
That FFG tutorial is boring and robotic so that weeds out everyone who’s not really motivated…?

It's interesting because it seems like people either think it's one of the best tutorials ever or that it is boring and robotic, as you say.

I wish they'd do a sequel tutorial that covers tags, traces, viruses, ect.

kollapse wrote:

Sure, I will edit the decks in a bit later. It's probably also worth noting that I'm almost always teaching extremely casual gamers or even non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Azgard12 wrote:
kollapse wrote:

Sure, I will edit the decks in a bit later. It's probably also worth noting that I'm almost always teaching extremely casual gamers or even non-gamers.

That would be almost the same type of people/gamers I would be introducing, so that sounds great. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I insist on playing Jinteki, give a half-assed rules explanation ,and then laugh fiendishly when the runner flatlines upon pulling a Snare.

Can't seem to find someone willing to play a second game, though. Weird...

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
bwridge wrote:
I insist on playing Jinteki, give a half-assed rules explanation ,and then laugh fiendishly when the runner flatlines upon pulling a Snare.

Heh, I do hold back with Jinteki until they're more comfortable with the game And during the game, I often tell them what traps or assets are probable with the kind of deck I'm playing, and actually, I often tell them exactly what it is - the question is whether they believe me or not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Robinson
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's really important to the person learning to play both sides. It's hard to understand the choices the corp is going through and how to exploit that if you've never played corp.

I've used this geeklist of excellent teaching decks every time I've taught someone how to play and it's always worked out well. I also tell them to watch the FFG tutorial video before we start. This is actually very close to Azgard12's suggestion, except I'd like to stress the value of switching between runner and corp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
Well last week I finally had a chance to get the game set up after work with my buddy.

I gave him Shaper, I used Jinteki. I set up a mock board state, gave him the tool box a couple of different icebreakers, programs and some resources. I gave him a full had of cards and 12 creds.

I set up the servers, core with a piece of ice, and a pair of remotes both with a rezzed piece and an unrezzed piece of ice. one server was an agenda and the other was Snare!. I had 10 credss.

I took some of the extras from both decks and showed what each card type was, then explained servers and the way a run works.

I played a turn, advancing the agenda by 2 and gaining a cred.

Then we both began to walk through the Runners turn together. we made a run on the advanced server, I rezzed the ice and we walked through breaking and the accessing steps. Moved back to the Corp, installed a new agenda and created a new remote with only an ice present. then moved back to runner, this time I gave him a bit more control, guiding only when needed. He approached the server with Snare!, and we went thorough the steps, and he accessed the trap, causing damage.

I had previously warned him about jinteki and the danger of running on a server with a low card count. He got it immediately. we took the next couple of turns and he got more and more.

We then reset the board and played to completion twice, we each won a game. He really enjoyed it and wanted more.

we got together again tonight after work to give it another go. He wanted to play the runner, Shaper, against me as Jinteki again. He had a few questions and we cleared up a few things, like not needing to "tap" anything or declare before a run what breaker he would be using for the run. We played another 3 games this evening, corp (me) winning twice, once from Snare! and once from Private security force. His win came from keeping the pressure on and forcing me to try to get agendas into servers because he kept running on my poorly defended HQ.

His comments about it tonight were mainly about the need to have cash coming in consistently and keeping pressure on the corp early. It isn't going to replace Magic for him as his go to game, but he's very interested in checking out the other factions and trying his hand at the corp.

I had a lot of fun and I'm so glad that he's excited about it. He's talked about it to a couple of the other guys in our M:tG playgroup and they're interested in giving it a go this weekend or next!

thanks for the input and advice,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.