Subject: BGG.CON LCG League rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Reed
United States
Tyler
Texas
flag msg tools
I will be hosting a LCG league at BGG Con. Let's get out there and play A Game of Thrones, Netrunner, Warhammer: Invasion, Call of Cthulhu, Lord of the Rings, and the Star Wars LCGs.

When: The league will be open at 11:00 a.m. Wednesday the 20th, and will close at 5:00 p.m. Saturday the 21st.

Where: I’ll be in the open play area handing out and collecting matchslips

What: Play as many games as you want during the convention. You Receive 1 point for playing a new opponent, 1 point for winning, and 1 point for teaching a game to someone.

Why: Hopefully we’ll have some prize support from FFG (I’ve contacted them about how to get some prize support like the Star Wars X-Wing group is getting). Even if FFG doesn’t come through with prize support, I’ll find somethings to make it interesting.

Details: The whole point is to get people out there playing these great games. I will have many decks available for people to play with, and would love to show people how to play. I will be available during much con, and have created a sign up sheet for people to volunteer a little bit of their time to watching and playing matches. To participate, just meet up with me and get some play slips. Play your games and get the slips back to me. I’ll add up the slips and publish league results Saturday after 5. We’ll pass out prizes based on the results (as I find out what I have to give out as prizes, I’ll solidify who gets what.)

Rationale: League play makes sense in an open play environment. Tournaments require a time commitment and quorum of players. Scheduling this event as a league avoids those twin pitfalls. Yes the league system can be gamed, but I’m hoping that people won’t; and having lots of volunteers out playing and watching can help keep everyone honest. Please share your ideas on running this league or making it better.

Edit: Someone pointed out that I should mention LCG stands for living card game. Fantasy Flight's spin on the collectible card game genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Seigler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have my sword. I've got experience with all of them except AGoT (and I'm a quick learner), and can contribute some decks for Winvasion, as it's my favorite. I'll volunteer as much of my time helping to run stuff as you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nordin
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, now I might have to bring all my Netrunner cards, rather than just a tourney deck! Count me in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon H.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have!
badge
Ron Swanson!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome I'll try to play some Netrunner and Star wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
... May you find hearts full of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Newbie Question:

I was wondering, blushwhat a LCG stands for?blush

Is it a Living Card Game? And what makes it Living?blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Seigler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Family Meeple wrote:

Is it a Living Card Game?

Yes! That's exactly what it stands for. The LCG model takes the "Collectible" out of Collectible Card Games - the games are still fully customizable, and new cards are coming out all the time, but every card is readily available - no blind buys, no booster packs, just great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDomino wrote:
1 Family Meeple wrote:

Yes! That's exactly what it stands for. The LCG model takes the "Collectible" out of Collectible Card Games - the games are still fully customizable, and new cards are coming out all the time, but every card is readily available - no blind buys, no booster packs, just great games.

Gotcha!

Thanks for answering that.

My husband and I got into Magic when it first came out. We were in college back then. We ended up selling our collection about 6 years later for $2000. We had a 3 black lotus cards and some others. We kept some lands and commons, just so we could play now and then. We just got tired of trying to keep up with it. I am surprise they are still releasing new expansions, what almost 20 years later?

I think I'll like the whole LCG idea better. I dont think we have an LCG yet although we have 2 Coop games with cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reed
United States
Tyler
Texas
flag msg tools
If you like co-op customizable card games, you might want to look at Lord of the Rings the LCG. Its a great co-op game, but it can b very difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Seigler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded on LotR. I like to fashion myself a reasonably clever gamer, but the first time I tried it with my sister, who's a huge Tolkien nut, on the easiest, lowest difficulty scenario in the book, we only lasted about five turns. It'll chew you up and spit you back out until you know what you're doing, but you'll have a blast doing it.

Well, at least until you try to take on Smaug. Smaug's just a jerk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing Lord of the Ringscoop at the CON?

If you are, I'd be an easy way to get 1 point for teaching the game to someone, if you can find me!?! It will be my first BGG.CON and I have no clue where I'll be or what I'll be doing, besides having fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDomino wrote:
1 Family Meeple wrote:

To expand on that just a little bit...

All the releases are fixed packs of cards and they usually include a full playset of 3x so you just buy one copy of the expansion and you're done. You've got everything until the next expansion comes out.

Core sets are a notable exception to the rule - their goal is to show off as much of the game as possible so they usually come with less than 3x copies in order to fit more cards in. So, you often want to get a second copy of the core. Some people seem to get confused by this which is why I wanted to bring it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
The LCG league is a great idea. I play Netrunner and LotR. I'll be bringing at least 4 LotR decks, and I'm happy to teach new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if we can arrange something for people in the league to find each other. I'm thinking maybe a button or sticker that we can wear or put on our badge? Or is the thought that the league will set up at a stable location that people can go to?

In any case, I'll definitely bring my Netrunner decks. I'd also be interested in learning Game of Thrones if anyone is willing to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reed
United States
Tyler
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm willing to teach all the games, and am planning on spending most of my time in an area. I don't know about setting up a stable location, hopefully someone with more BGG con experience can enlighten us as it if that is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
I'm wondering if we can arrange something for people in the league to find each other. I'm thinking maybe a button or sticker that we can wear or put on our badge? Or is the thought that the league will set up at a stable location that people can go to?

In any case, I'll definitely bring my Netrunner decks. I'd also be interested in learning Game of Thrones if anyone is willing to teach.

I don't think anyone would object if a few tables in one of the corners of the main hall was used for LCG play. Stickers might also be a good idea too, or buttons of some kind (so they're removable if you don't want to LCG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in getting a few matches in for Netrunner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested too, but think I am booked for all of this. Library for the first 2 shifts of opening, and then a wargame for a couple hours. But I guess I will try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordon
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely interested in some WH:I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reed
United States
Tyler
Texas
flag msg tools
I see the information is up for player organized events. I'm willing to put my cards down and run tournaments across all of the LCG's during a 4-6 hour block on Friday or Saturday early. That means 3-5 rounds of swiss to determine a winner. I've still got a line on some prize support and something else to make it special. If I can get enough people that want to do a tournament I'll put in the TO/Organization work, and I have some volunteers to help it run smoothly. I would prefer to do it sometime early Saturday to cap off the LCG league (which I think is the best format for BGGCon's anything goes schedule).

Please post if you can do it, and I will reserve the space when we reach 30 ayes. If it won't work for you, make a suggestion that would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
I'll be down to play any/all of the LCGs, if I can just get around to getting some decks put together. Always happy to help teach Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nordin
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count two ayes for tourney play Friday or Saturday, with a preference for Friday morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be up for Netrunner, Warhammer, on Friday or Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this thread

I'm trying to organize some LOTR games on Saturday and have a few people interested

You can find it as an item on the epic games meetup list

I'm on my phone hopefully someone can post a link

My thought is that with a tad pre- planning that decks that don't conflict could be made prior
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for Netrunner on Friday or Saturday. Would prefer Friday afternoon, but I'll scrap my plans on Friday morning for this if that's what it takes. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Seigler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be around to either play or help run - I only own cards for Winvasion and LotR, but I can run any of the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.