Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read from Lewis Pulsipher's new book that the Y generation have problem doing mental math. Apparently some people cannot calculate a 10% tip.

So I thought that the best solution to train mental math could be done by playing st0ck t!cker without a calculator. (The way I usually play it)

I decided to write an article about it and explained how the math is done in this game.

http://bgd.lariennalibrary.com/index.php?n=DesignArticle.Art...

Feel free to comment here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
badge
ACT AS IF THE TRUTH IS REAL
mb
You mean mental arithmetic or mental calculation; mental math is something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh really!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mental calculation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Mental math)

*shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
badge
ACT AS IF THE TRUTH IS REAL
mb
larienna wrote:
Oh really!

Yep. It's like saying "literature" or "English" when you mean "spelling". It's sloppy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's something I really don't understand about this post. Why did the OP obfuscate the name of Stock Ticker not just once, but twice?

I was tempted to flag it as spam for that reason alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
larienna wrote:
Oh really!

Yep. It's like saying "literature" or "English" when you mean "spelling". It's sloppy.

Yeah, or saying "truth" when you mean "pedantry".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
There's something I really don't understand about this post. Why did the OP obfuscate the name of Stock Ticker not just once, but twice?

I was tempted to flag it as spam for that reason alone.

And why an obscure game like Stock Ticker instead of a more well known one like Power Grid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

On the board game designer forum, I posted once about that game, and we got so much junk post that we had to close the thread. So I did not want to take the risk again.

Quote:
And why an obscure game like Stock Ticker instead of a more well known one like Power Grid?

Power grid is about forward planning how much it is going to cost you. But it could still be a valid game.

StOck t!cker has the advantage of beign very simple, requires little space, make it easy to print and play and can support an unlimited number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta love those calculators.
I'm I guess... gen X.5? (1971 - doesn't seem to fit well into either X or Y) and I seriously have trouble now with basic addition and subtraction sometimes - just so used to machines doing it all for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny fact, in quebec the law forces you to do a math formula when you win something. So yesterday, when I exchanged by free burger and fries at McDonald for the monopoly contest, I had to resolve a small math formula and if I failled, I would not get my prize.

So it proves that here doing some mental arithmetic could still be useful in everyday life. My girlfriend who onces worked at mcdonald also said that they were sometimes giving the answer because clients got frustrated for not getting their prize when they failed.

For the curious, I think the formula was something like:

(14 + 6 - 10 ) / 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.