GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: My RPG Card Game -- Looking for Feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jozsh J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a newbie game designer looking for general feedback/constructive criticism for a project and game I've been working on. This October I plan to try to spread the word about it and all that jazz, but before I do, I wanted to show it off to the pro's and the community of designers, and look for that feedback.

My idea is a card game (PvP) that was strongly inspired by classic role-playing video games.
I really tried to create that around the mechanics of the card game and terminology with the actions and stuff. I played a lot of NES and SNES games in between work sessions. I also kinda' wanted the art style to reflect the simple, old school monsters that were created and appeared simplistic, like a blob or eye monster. One of the things I definitely wanted to do was to have the “chance” factor of actions. Kind of those swings and “Misses”.

I'm looking for any and all feedback: reflecting the project/ideas/rules

Online Rules:
http://melodyofshadows.com/online_rules

http://www.MelodyOfShadows.com

P.S.
Melody of Shadows is NOT the name of the card game, just the name of the project...I'm still trying to think of a solid name for the whole
idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Gadea
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My Card Game Idea -- Project MoS
My first impression, and I hope this isn't taken the wrong way... the artwork looks a little Pokemonish. Are you aiming for an art style that's similar in that regard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jozsh J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Re: My Card Game Idea -- Project MoS
No, I'm not taking that the wrong way...I've already heard it from a few, lol. The art style was chosen on a few factors:

1. Make the character design resemble the classic simplistic monster from old RPGS.

2.Make a card game that would be rated "E" for everyone (no scary intense images)

3. Make the art reflect the story for the world itself (kind of funny and whimsical)

What's good about the art direction that I chose, as far as production wise, is it's less intense on my behalf to do each illustration because it's soo..."cartoon-ey"? Simplistic? No hardcore details and all that made it easier...it's hard already. Lot of erasing. -_-

So if it resembles their style, at this point, I don't even know...
I'm passed the point of no return anyway...lol. It fits what I was going
for, but I don't know other than that.

What annoys me, is that the mechanics that I chose, do bear similarities
towards their card game. They have strong RPG mechanics, and over time, have added more mechanics that are RPG-ish. I Was annoyed when I discovered this, as with some of the things and the direction I chose have been done by them, but the mechanics were inspired by rpg games and the story behind the world, and though there are similarities in the RPG aspect, there is my own twist on the RPG-like idea. I'm not really sure how it'll pan out due to this. Like I said before, I feel like I'm past the point of no return...."sigh".

But thank you for checking it out/feedback. I appreciate it. Maybe you can read the rules (you'll see what I mean about similarities) when I get them up(plan is by tonight); I definitely need people to read those and look for the flaws and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.