Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate T.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
nom nom nom
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished my first solo game as the Coalition with a loss. I had posted an earlier abbreviated session report, where I mistakenly ended it early.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1042047/solo-play-coalit...

This time, I used the physical game along with Vassal and kept a written log to minimize errors. I still may have made a couple, but I think I was able to get most everything correct.

I made it to the third Propaganda! card before falling a little behind and ultimately suffering a close loss.

Up to the first Prop card, things went pretty similar to my earlier game. I was able to hold my initial position fairly well. All the factions were slowly building up. I was able to garner some nice Support in Kabul and Khowst, but the Al-Qaeda event stymied progress in Balkh and Paktika by conducting Terror and rousing Opposition.
Government Resources were rather slim throughout making for some less effective Operations, but as things seemed fairly stable I wasn't too concerned.

Things weren't looking too bad at this point, but that would soon change.

Score at first Prop card (Turn 12):
Coalition: -8
Government: -24
Taliban: -11
Warlords: -1 Uncontrolled/-39 Res.

Resources remained scarce between the first and second Prop cards, but COIN forces were managing to keep insurgents at bay without the need for many Coalition Troops which kept my score near the victory mark.

The insurgents proliferated in some of their strongly held ground. Warlords in NE Afghanistan and Taliban began to make a large force in Paktika. The Loya Jurga event dealt a strong blow to the COIN forces by stirring up Opposition in 3 Provinces. Momentum was starting to swing towards the insurgents, especially Warlords with most of their pieces on the board. Taliban were massing in the SE, but for what?
Luckily, some late Aid and Resources from Strategic Partners looked to set up a promising next round for COIN forces.

Score at 2nd Prop card (Turn 22):
Coalition: -5
Government: -14
Taliban: -9
Warlords: -1/-25

Things started out badly for the Government. They were hit with two early Events that rendered them ineligible on next cards. Five cards went by without them able to take action, while I tried to hold on (luckily with a nice amount of resources). I still had the game under control even with the Warlords thriving until the Taliban made a late Terror Operation which pushed them into the lead.

The Prop card revealed itself a bit earlier this time than the last two. Things weren't looking good as I was ineligible to play on the next card.

Maybe my ally, the Government would help me out? No, it was not to be. Instead, they Trained more forces and no Civic Action, which didn't do anything for me. I could only helplessly look at the score track as Taliban had the closest margin to Victory at -1.

Final Score, 3rd Prop card (Turn 29).
Coalition: -6
Government: -15
Taliban: -5
Warlords: -2/-18

Final Map:

It was a fun game even with a loss. Things seemed fairly calm until insurgents got most of their pieces on the board and no longer needed to Rally. Government not being able to play through five cards didn't help either, but I'm sure my strategy wasn't that great either.

This is really a great game and there were many moments when I had to really stop and think what to do. Hopefully my strategy will improve and I can make it longer the next time and maybe win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the detail in your report, thanks for working that up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bertucelli
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up sounded like a an exciting game. I'm playing a solo game now we will see how it goes.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.