Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New article available on FFG page

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4384

I can't help but notice that the objective mechanism for The Hunt for Skywalker is so reminiscent of the "running on a server" mechanism in Netrunner. IMHO some people will hate this, but I think it makes sense thematically and think it will create some very interesting strategic decisions. This is probably the closest we will get to a multiplayer Netrunner as well (for now). It's great also that FFG already has been designing Netrunner for a while, so their expertise on that game can carry over here.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With limited Objectives in the Challenge deck, I wonder if there will be an "optimum" layout for the cards eventually.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dyeyk2000 wrote:
I can't help but notice that the objective mechanism for The Hunt for Skywalker is so reminiscent of the "running on a server" mechanism in Netrunner.


You must have sharp eyes. I can't detect any similarity at all.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
dyeyk2000 wrote:
I can't help but notice that the objective mechanism for The Hunt for Skywalker is so reminiscent of the "running on a server" mechanism in Netrunner.


You must have sharp eyes. I can't detect any similarity at all.


WOW! Snark attack! Hahaha!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously though, what is the similarity?

Do you need icebreakers to get through them? Are they divided into three main types that you need to be able to match? Does the LS player have to pay resources to rez them? Is the DS player trying to get past them to the presumed goodies behind the pyramid?

That's a "no" on all counts. So what part of this mechanic is similar to Netrunner?

It's not like a run, it's like searching cards that are arranged in a tree structure. One of them is the one you're looking for and you try each one until you find it or the game is over.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Law
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
dboeren wrote:
Seriously though, what is the similarity?

Do you need icebreakers to get through them? Are they divided into three main types that you need to be able to match? Does the LS player have to pay resources to rez them? Is the DS player trying to get past them to the presumed goodies behind the pyramid?

That's a "no" on all counts. So what part of this mechanic is similar to Netrunner?

It's not like a run, it's like searching cards that are arranged in a tree structure. One of them is the one you're looking for and you try each one until you find it or the game is over.


As a Netrunner player who clicked on this thread from the front page because of the title, I would say it's very peripherally similar. VERY peripherally.

The Dark side player makes runs on your objectives as they might a server, trying to inflict at least one damage, rather like trying to steal an agenda from the remote. The Light side player defends these objectives with their units like they might use Ice in Netrunner. The Dark side player wants to force the Light side player to spread himself too thin to defend everything, much as the runner attempts to do in the other game.

It does look a bit like an "inspired by" situation rather than a direct correlation. That being said, it sounds like a fun way to play and tempts me a little bit to pick this up.

I do find it ironic that when examined in this light, it casts the corporation as the wronged good guy and the runner as the evil infiltrator.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Do you need icebreakers to get through them? Are they divided into three main types that you need to be able to match? Does the LS player have to pay resources to rez them? Is the DS player trying to get past them to the presumed goodies behind the pyramid?


I must have sharp eyes, but you must have poor reading comprehension. I've given you the benefit of the doubt and have just reread my original post and thread title a couple of times and never did I once claim that it copied exactly the current Netrunner rules. In fact, I used the word "reminiscent" as to communicate the fact that it merely reminded me of it. I saw similarities.

I guess putting face down cards, with the opposing player's goal to "approach" said cards, and upon interaction with said cards, triggers the effect of the card by turning it face up, with the goal to find Luke Skywalker (I believe your term was "goodies"?); AND having the face down cards arranged in a pyramid fashion designed to force an order in which the cards are "approached"; AND the fact that even if we argue that these are hardly unique mechanisms, they do come from the same design house that currently designs Android Netrunner.. WAS STILL too much of a stretch for you to see any similarities??



P.S. Thanks Doug for having good reading comprehension
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hejas PL
Poland
flag msg tools
Quote:
With limited Objectives in the Challenge deck, I wonder if there will be an "optimum" layout for the cards eventually.


You can't really have an "optimum" layout if you're supposed to be hiding something from your opponent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.