Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I have been on a quest for more and more complex games and since my collection isn't very big that is what my husband and I mostly have to play now.
So I was thinking maybe I should get a few lighter games that still have some good decisions in them. This is for mostly 2 players.

For reference lately I have picked up
Eclipse
Reef Encounter(haven't played it yet. It has smokers funk I am trying to get rid of)
Shipyard
Le Havre (still being shipped)
Suburbia (still being shipped, I think this will be lighter then the others)

I kind of hate card games unless they are super short like Morels and I don't really like really random games with tons of dice.

I was thinking maybe Letters from Whitechapel for example. I need more suggestions.

We own Lords of Waterdeepand I dislike it because I hate how the quests are handed to you and that's the only way to win and it's...well boring. Maybe predictable is a better word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I mainly play with my girlfriend and we have a fairly diverse collection. Here are some I think you may enjoy:

Takenoko
Ninjato
Tokaido
Pandemic
Kingsburg
Garden Dice
Eldritch Horror
Agents of SMERSH
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely recommend Letters from Whitechapel. My wife loves playing that game with me.

A couple lighter games I'd suggest checking out are Tales of the Arabian Nights and Fearsome Floors.

Also, if you want a couple of lighter Euros that can be really fun, check out The Castles of Burgundy and The Manhattan Project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue can be a really quick game, good amount of challenge, but very simple to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
honeybunnie8 wrote:

We own Lords of Waterdeepand I dislike it because I hate how the quests are handed to you and that's the only way to win

I'm confused by this. Only the two starting quests are handed to you, you get to pick all other quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca is one to look at.

I'll probably add more, when I have more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
honeybunnie8 wrote:

We own Lords of Waterdeepand I dislike it because I hate how the quests are handed to you and that's the only way to win

I'm confused by this. Only the two starting quests are handed to you, you get to pick all other quests.

Sorry I really meant objectives? You get to pick quests but unless they are the type that are listed on your card they are not worth as many VP. Unless you get the building guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Pedro
msg tools
mbmb
Letters from Whitechapel is definitely a great game for 2 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
honeybunnie8 wrote:

We own Lords of Waterdeep and I dislike it because I hate how the quests are handed to you and that's the only way to win and it's...well boring. Maybe predictable is a better word.

If you don't like Lords of Waterdeep (bless you) you likely want to consider games where those dice you dislike give you a chance to play the kind of game you want to instead of picking from the two or three rigid channels that more discrete games provide. I find Lords of Waterdeep flat as hell because you just can't do anything that is particularly interesting or unique. It's McBoardgame. You do what you're told, no one is caught off guard.

Kingsburg is a good suggestion, where the dice results are mitigated with ways to modify them, ways to combine them and enough rolls to even things out. I wouldn't call it more complex rules-wise, but there's a lot of jiggering in the play.

Good old Ticket to Ride: Europe may give you a good time as well, with a think-on-your-feet aspect to it that gives you all sorts of options as the game progresses. Blocking is de-emphasized in Europe which keeps the game more dynamic, largely due to its expanded rules. Very manageable, more interesting than the original.

If you're willing to get a little more violent with things consider Nexus Ops or Incursion. Incursion ups the complexity and lets you use dice to press your luck. Nexus as well though it's more mini-goal oriented. Incursion is about completing a big mission instead.

Elasund plays well with two and has some pretty solid doses of didn't-see-that-coming in it. An underrated game in my opinion.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
honeybunnie8 wrote:

We own Lords of Waterdeep and I dislike it because I hate how the quests are handed to you and that's the only way to win and it's...well boring. Maybe predictable is a better word.

If you don't like Lords of Waterdeep (bless you) you likely want to consider games where those dice you dislike give you a chance to play the kind of game you want to instead of picking from the two or three rigid channels that more discrete games provide. opinion.

S.

You are probably right about the dice. I don't mind dice in certain games like The Castles of Burgundybecause you still have options even if the roll is crap.

I'm going to go look up the games listed in this thread now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Race for the Galaxy(Wife AND my favorite) and Manhattan Project(replaced Lords of Waterdeep for us).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
msg tools
Postin’ over here, boss.
badge
Post over there, Luke.
mb
Hive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Letters from Whitechapel
+1 Hive
A card game, but Battle Line is a good one.
Taluva

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small - This game plays lightning fast, you can play through 3 matches in just over an hour, and change up your strat a little each time.

+1 Finca - I'd actually classify this as relaxing. A slightly more elaborate set collection, kind of like Jaipur in Board Game form. Some moderate decisions to make, occasional light-weight "power" turns. Only gripe is that it takes almost as long to setup and put away as it does to play.

And I'll add Alien Frontiers, may or may not suite your tastes. I really enjoy the amount of build up this game has within an hour game. There's dice, but there are plenty of ways to modify your dice, and options of how to use them. I think this worker placement more than any other really uses the dice well. You have to decide if you play your bigger dice in fuel to get more with higher numbers, or to get one mineral and block your opponent with the higher number. Is it worth raiding your opponents resources to slow him down, or just go for the colony track to get ahead yourself? The end is a really tense race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.