Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Pursuit of Glory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Assorted rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Vargas
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
1 RU Black Sea Division (Marines): To activate for amphibious assault it gets a combat marker placed on it. It can also assault in the winter. If it assaults from a mountain space or goes to a mountain space does it roll for severe weather? Also, if it is later forced to retreat by sea, does Jihad increase?

2 Sphere of Influence: Can the units be placed in Central Asia? The card does say in Russia and 13.6 says the RU regions are treated as if connected by rail.

3 18.8.3.3, letter a reads

a. Serbia collapses whenever Belgrade is CP controlled and the AP
Player wishes to announce Serbian Collapse, OR when (1) Belgrade
and Skopje are CP-controlled and (2) there are no SB LCUs in
Serbia. CP-controlled space(s) in the Balkans. Note: If the ROMANIA
event has been played and Romania has not yet collapse, the GE
Alpenkorps also remains.


The part in bold doesn't make sense to me. I noticed much the same thing is cited in the first bullet that follows:

AP-controlled port; and all GE and AH units that entered due to
the Bulgaria event, except: 11th Army, Mackensen HQ, Heavy
Artillery, and 2 GE Inf SCUs. If Romania has been played and is
uncollapsed, you may choose which 2 AH divisions to remove
from those on the board or in the Reserve or in the Eliminated
Box. The CP Player may then (at no cost) SR up to two CP units
in the Balkans to any CP-controlled space(s) in the Balkans. Note:
If the Romania event has been played and Romania has not yet
collapsed, the GE Alpenkorps also remains.


The second time around makes sense. Is it the first time was a mistake? If not, can someone explain it?

4 18.8.6 Neutral Afghanistan: reads

AP units may never enter (but may attack into) Neutral Afghanistan, and if forced to retreat into Neutral Afghanistan, they are eliminated as if Out of Supply.

How can any unit be forced to retreat into Afghanistan? All its neighbors are regions and there is no retreat from regions, correct?

5 Who controls the VP spaces in the Persian regions (Meshed, Shiraz and Bushire) among the Allies? It makes a difference for Russian VP spaces. If Meshed, for example, is British and the Turks capture it and the Russians later on recapture it, it counts as a Russian VP space, correct?

6 18.12.2 I see you can remove an LCU in lieu of required SCUs. Is the opposite true, can you substitute SCUs for an LCU? If yes, with the Gorlice-Tarnow card, which is worth 2 VPs, if the Allies want to reduce it to 0, they would remove 3 SCUs. How about if they want to reduce it by 1, do they remove 1 or 2 SCUs?


Thank you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give it a shot:
1- No and yes. It's too bad the Marine unit isn't immune to that effect or you may see it used more often. Except for Trabzon the Russians really have no way of following up with a Corps organization until they get the Total War card for the VII Cau and Cavalry Corps.
I myself have never used it.

2- I always understood it to be a "space" only. Usually ends up in Tabriz or Julfa

3- A bit redundant I guess. Second place seems more appropriate.

4- I think this was covered in the Forum. Ignore it. There's no retreats in Regions.

5- Gorlice/Tarnow, unlike the others, doesn't ask for divisions but a Corps specifically. I've never seen anyone be able to substitute Russian Infantry for it. If you could this card would lose all of its threat as there is plenty of said infantry for the task.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vargas
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thanks Kevin

Another issue I'm having a hard time understanding is rebuilding destroyed tribes. Let deal with spaces and forget regions for now. One way to prevent a tribe from being rebuilt is to have a unit physically on the tribal space, correct? However if every space immediately next to the tribal space is controlled but unoccupied by the Allies and the tribal space is also unoccupied can it be rebuilt?

What's the most effective way, beyond occupying the space, to ensure a destroyed tribe doesn't get rebuilt? Is there a difference with regions given that both sides can coexist?

Question 5 was missed:


5 Who controls the VP spaces in the Persian regions (Meshed, Shiraz and Bushire) among the Allies? It makes a difference for Russian VP spaces. If Meshed, for example, is British and the Turks capture it and the Russians later on recapture it, it counts as a Russian VP space, correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tribe rebuilds are covered by 17.1.1.2. Note that what can happen is while the Bawi Tribe may be able to be rebuilt, if a unit sits in its only placement space (Ahwaz) it can't return to the board.
An Indian infantry division will often spend a lot of time on garrison duty there.
The British control the Region VPs at start and yes, the Russians can take them over through "liberation". Always keep an eye out for that possibility as the Allies.
Central Power players often keep the Qashqui and Tangistani Tribes at home to avoid this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NihonFan wrote:
1 RU Black Sea Division (Marines): To activate for amphibious assault it gets a combat marker placed on it. It can also assault in the winter. If it assaults from a mountain space or goes to a mountain space does it roll for severe weather? Also, if it is later forced to retreat by sea, does Jihad increase?

2 Sphere of Influence: Can the units be placed in Central Asia? The card does say in Russia and 13.6 says the RU regions are treated as if connected by rail.

3 18.8.3.3, letter a reads

a. Serbia collapses whenever Belgrade is CP controlled and the AP
Player wishes to announce Serbian Collapse, OR when (1) Belgrade
and Skopje are CP-controlled and (2) there are no SB LCUs in
Serbia. CP-controlled space(s) in the Balkans. Note: If the ROMANIA
event has been played and Romania has not yet collapse, the GE
Alpenkorps also remains.


The part in bold doesn't make sense to me. I noticed much the same thing is cited in the first bullet that follows:

AP-controlled port; and all GE and AH units that entered due to
the Bulgaria event, except: 11th Army, Mackensen HQ, Heavy
Artillery, and 2 GE Inf SCUs. If Romania has been played and is
uncollapsed, you may choose which 2 AH divisions to remove
from those on the board or in the Reserve or in the Eliminated
Box. The CP Player may then (at no cost) SR up to two CP units
in the Balkans to any CP-controlled space(s) in the Balkans. Note:
If the Romania event has been played and Romania has not yet
collapsed, the GE Alpenkorps also remains.


The second time around makes sense. Is it the first time was a mistake? If not, can someone explain it?

4 18.8.6 Neutral Afghanistan: reads

AP units may never enter (but may attack into) Neutral Afghanistan, and if forced to retreat into Neutral Afghanistan, they are eliminated as if Out of Supply.

How can any unit be forced to retreat into Afghanistan? All its neighbors are regions and there is no retreat from regions, correct?

5 Who controls the VP spaces in the Persian regions (Meshed, Shiraz and Bushire) among the Allies? It makes a difference for Russian VP spaces. If Meshed, for example, is British and the Turks capture it and the Russians later on recapture it, it counts as a Russian VP space, correct?

6 18.12.2 I see you can remove an LCU in lieu of required SCUs. Is the opposite true, can you substitute SCUs for an LCU? If yes, with the Gorlice-Tarnow card, which is worth 2 VPs, if the Allies want to reduce it to 0, they would remove 3 SCUs. How about if they want to reduce it by 1, do they remove 1 or 2 SCUs?


Thank you


1) Yes, Marines roll for severe weather and are subject to Jihad increase like any other unit.
2) Yes, Sphere of Influence units can be placed in a vacant Central Asia (Central Asia was definitely a Russian Sphere of Influence!)
3) The first note is superfluous.
4) True.
5) They start in non-Russian control and can become Russian if Russian units capture them from CP units.
6) No you may not substitute SCUS for an LCU if an LCU is required by the card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NihonFan wrote:
Thanks Kevin

Another issue I'm having a hard time understanding is rebuilding destroyed tribes. Let deal with spaces and forget regions for now. One way to prevent a tribe from being rebuilt is to have a unit physically on the tribal space, correct? However if every space immediately next to the tribal space is controlled but unoccupied by the Allies and the tribal space is also unoccupied can it be rebuilt?

What's the most effective way, beyond occupying the space, to ensure a destroyed tribe doesn't get rebuilt? Is there a difference with regions given that both sides can coexist?

Question 5 was missed:


5 Who controls the VP spaces in the Persian regions (Meshed, Shiraz and Bushire) among the Allies? It makes a difference for Russian VP spaces. If Meshed, for example, is British and the Turks capture it and the Russians later on recapture it, it counts as a Russian VP space, correct?


The tribe has to be able to trace a line of spaces to one of the places listed in 17.1.1.2. This line of spaces cannot contain any enemy units, including at the start and end of the line.

Keeping Jihad low limits the number of tribes. Otherwise occupy their space or nearby spaces so as to block above line.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vargas
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Philip Thomas wrote:
NihonFan wrote:
Thanks Kevin

Another issue I'm having a hard time understanding is rebuilding destroyed tribes. Let deal with spaces and forget regions for now. One way to prevent a tribe from being rebuilt is to have a unit physically on the tribal space, correct? However if every space immediately next to the tribal space is controlled but unoccupied by the Allies and the tribal space is also unoccupied can it be rebuilt?

What's the most effective way, beyond occupying the space, to ensure a destroyed tribe doesn't get rebuilt? Is there a difference with regions given that both sides can coexist?



The tribe has to be able to trace a line of spaces to one of the places listed in 17.1.1.2. This line of spaces cannot contain any enemy units, including at the start and end of the line.

Keeping Jihad low limits the number of tribes. Otherwise occupy their space or nearby spaces so as to block above line.


Followup question. Rule 17.1.1.2 reads in part:

Tribes—and this is very important to note—can only be rebuilt or repaired if the CP Player can trace a supply line from one of those tribe’s colored spaces on a map to either 1) a friendly Supply Source, 2) a friendly port (on any sea), or 3) an unoccupied AP-controlled port (also on any sea).


I put "trace a supply line" in bold. You seem to be saying the path can be through empty, enemy-controlled spaces. I know the rule allows for empty, enemy-controlled ports but it doesn't seem to allow for the in-between spaces to be enemy-controlled. So can the path be through empty, enemy-controlled spaces?

Someone else posted an email response of yours saying any path on Consimworld.

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, through empty, enemy controlled spaces, exactly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.