Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was our first game. I bid $2 to go first, while Don and Gary didn’t bid anything. Player order was myself , Don and Gary.  I paid an additional $2 to grab the double carrot card, since it seemed to be the only card in the game that gave double symbols. So right off the bat, I was short $4 compared to everyone else, and that left me at a disadvantage.

Don was the first to buy a wild card to move his cubes through shipping and get to the continent on the west. Gary did that and built a city, allowing himself to add more cubes to that city or the start space. I continued to plow along, trying to pick up carrot cards, and thus never built a city the whole game, and barely got a couple cubes off the main continent. So I was stuck mainly on the starting continent, and with more cash, Don and Gary could easily buy the ship move cards ot city cards as they showed up, before I could have a chance at them.

To add insult to injury, since I went first, Gary got to go last, and he was able to manipulate the board position in his favor in the final turn.

Scores:
Gary 16 ( 9 regions, 2 continents, 5 sets),
Don 15 (7 regions, 1 continent, 7 sets),
Norbert 12 (5 regions, 1 continent, 6 sets).

Game 2: I realized that going last is powerful, but I did want to be the first one off the main continent, so I bid $2 again to go first, while Don and Gary didn't bid anything (again). This time, I picked an anvil card, which let me ship a cube to the western continent. I vowed this game to at least build a city in a different continent, so that when I deployed cubes, I would have more options to place cubes. So I was able to get a city card, and soon enough the western continent was all mine (at the cost of having nothing on the main continent).

I spent most of my energy taking over the western continent, and the small two region continent. I was also more careful with my cash, having enough to pay $3 for a good card if it showed up.

Don was able to dominate the start continent with Gary and I moving everywhere else. One turn I used a card to remove a cube and place a cube, removing one of Gary's when I should have removed one of Don's cube to take away a point from Don. The carrot cards started showing up en masse at the end (thank goodness, if they showed up early, I might have been tempted to duplicate my flawed strategy from game 1) and everyone was forced to take at least one carrot card.

When we counted up the scores it was:
Norbert 17 (9 region, 2 continent, 6 sets),
Don 17 (8 region, 1 continent, 8 sets),
Gary 12 (7 region, 1 continent, 4 sets). The tiebreaker was cash, I had $3 to Don's $2, so I squeaked out a victory.

Don liked the game and bought a copy for himself immediately. I like it as well, there are a lot of decisions to make in a short time span. It would be interesting to play the 4 player game and see all the cards in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, awesome light game. 5 players is when you see all the cards, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.