Popular Tags: [View All]
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got a chance to play in the month one event of the Dominion War OP event. I was originally planning on bringing a Dominion fleet of a pair of Breen ships and a Galor. After some play testing and fiddling with builds, I ended up going with a Romulan fleet just to be different. My list was;
IRW Valdore - Donotra, Interphase Generator
IRW Khazara - Toreth, All Forward Disruptor Banks, Photon Torpedoes
RIS Apnex - Romulan, Bochra, Parem, Muon Feedback Wave

Game 1
My first game was against a fleet that I never expected to see. A Reliant with Khan in charge alongside 4 Miranda class ships with generic captains. On the first turn, I was planning to have the Apnex make a run for the station and beam some crew over on the second turn. I misjudged the distance to the station and ended just inside the range 3 from a pylon and it fired at my ship. After all the dice rolls were made, a single critical got through and it turned out to be the one that does 2 damage and blew up the Apnex before it got a chance to do anything. My opponents Reliant swooped in and beamed Khan over to the station. It took some severe damage for doing so, but my rolls were terrible.
The rest of the game went rather quickly. Only having 2 ships left against my opponents 5 ships and the station left the rest of the game to a matter of attrition. I managed to get out of range of the station and take out the Reliant as well as crippling a couple other ships, but thanks to the Miranda's large firing arc, I was constantly being bombarded with fire. Despite rolling up to 8 defence dice at times (2 from agility, 4 from cloak, 1 from range 3, and 1 from my opponent shooting through obstacles) I could not roll any evades to save my life.
I lost this game, losing my entire fleet while only managing to kill Khan's Reliant (though he was not on board. This guy went on to place second, only losing one game to the guy who won the entire event.

Game 2
This one went a little more as I originally had planed. This time I faced off against a similar build to my own, a Valdore with Donatra and a Khazara with Toreth. He also had a lot of other upgrades on his ships, and some extra crew on the Valdore, but he forgot to use them most of the game. I decided not to repeat my mistake from game one, picking a shorter move for the Apnex on its approach to the station, not realizing that the center two tables being used were smaller than the recomended 36"x36" size. Once again the poor little science ship wandered slightly into range of one of the stations pylons and was blown away on turn one.
My opponent moved his Khazara up and beamed Toreth and his crew to the station. I took advantage of his lowered shields to pummel the Khazara, critically damaging it down to only a single hull point left. I kept my ships out of range of his station and focused my fire on the Khazara until it was destroyed. His Valdore had moved way out of position trying to avoid mine fields and my fire arcs. This game me time to concentrate all of my firepower and take out the station without getting damaged too much in return. With my Apnex gone, I really didn't have any expendable crew to send over anyway. After the station was gone, my two nearly undamaged ships made quick work of his last ship.
I won this game, losing only my Apnex, while taking out my opponents entire force. Since I blew up the station, there were no bonus points to be had this game.

Game 3
This time I was up against another 2 ship build. Captain Picard and a fully loaded Enterprise-D and Kirk with a decked out Enterprise. Determined not to make the same mistake a third time, my Apnex approached the station as slow as possible, while his Enterprise-d made a sprint for it. The results worked out in my favor as he ended up in range and I did not for once. The station managed to knock out a couple of the Enterprise-d's shields while I prepared to make my run for the station on turn two. My plan worked to my advantage as my generic captain on the Apnex got to move first, dropping his shields and beaming himself and Bochra to the station. My other two ships moved up right behind the Apnex for support. When it came time for Picards action, he was sitting right in front of all three of my ships and did not dare to lower his remaining shields to beam over to the station.
He made short work of my defenceless and shieldless Apnex, which I expected to happen, while Kirk fired blindly at my cloaked ships trying to find them. Somehow the Enterprise-D managed to survive the combined firepower of both of my ships as well as the station (the dice gods were frowning upon me this day). He pulled a spectacular maneuver getting just past both of my ships to drop an Antimatter Minefield right on both of them in one shot. Luckily they both got out with only minor damage. I managed to finish off the Enterprise-D with the station as I maeuvered my other ships around to get a bead on Kirk's Enterprise. He managed to keep to the minefield and away from the station thanks to some crafty use of red and green maneuvers (I've nevr seen a starship make a K-turn before, lol). Despite his amazing piloting skills, the old Constitution ship was no match for a pair of Romulans finest ships and Kirk went down phasers blazing.
I won this game, wiping out my opponents entire fleet as well as controling the station for the bonus 10 points, while only losing the Apnex (although its crew survived on the station).

The event was won by a guy playing 2 Breen Ships and a Galor class (the exact build, even the same upgrades that I was originally thinking of using, lol). The guy with the 5 Miranda class ships took second, beating me out by only a couple points (if I had only managed to kill one more of his ships). I ended up in third place, but I took home the top spot for the Dominion (actually I was second but the winner already got a set of map items, so he declined) and got a complete set of the wormhole and minefield tokens as well as the other participation prizes.
My son came along for his first OP event of any kind. While he lost every game and ended up in dea last, he was extremely lighthearted about it and had a blast just being there. For his honorable play and dignity in defeat, the shop awarded him the Red Shirt award and he took home a Ferengi Marauder.

In the end it was a fun event and I am looking forward to next month. I'm not sure if I will be running a similar fleet or something completely different. I guess it depends on if the next event is before or after the launch of Wave 1. If I did go with something similar, I think I will drop the Apnex, or at least the Muon Wave. As cool as it is, I never got to make use of it and I could use the points elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent report! Great to hear you and your son had a fantastic time. My son is only 6 years old so I still have a few years before I can start taking him to events like this. Cool to hear about the Miranda swarm. I'm dying to play against a swarm. I played an 8 TIE Fighter swarm in X-Wing but am not yet convinced that Attack Wing is similarly suited to a swarm build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
He managed to keep to the minefield and away from the station thanks to some crafty use of red and green maneuvers (I've nevr seen a starship make a K-turn before, lol).

Um, the Enterprise can't do a k-turn. None of the Federation ships can until the Defiant comes out in a few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fastback M
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
davedujour wrote:
Ender02 wrote:
He managed to keep to the minefield and away from the station thanks to some crafty use of red and green maneuvers (I've nevr seen a starship make a K-turn before, lol).

Um, the Enterprise can't do a k-turn. None of the Federation ships can until the Defiant comes out in a few days.

You can with the Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fastback64 wrote:
davedujour wrote:
Ender02 wrote:

You can with the Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver

Of course. derp.gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AtkinsonWH wrote:
Okay guys...I'm thinking of finally getting into a Minatures game but not sure if I should go with Star Trek or Star Wars.

Thoughts?

I think you should make it as a separate thread in the general forum to get more responses :-p

As a quick answer though, having played both, I would lean toward Attack Wing. The level of customization is far better, the mission types more varied, and the combat styles of different ships more distinctive. Also, with wizkids' tournament support, it's way easier to find a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
AtkinsonWH wrote:
Okay guys...I'm thinking of finally getting into a Minatures game but not sure if I should go with Star Trek or Star Wars.

Thoughts?

I think you should make it as a separate thread in the general forum to get more responses :-p

As a quick answer though, having played both, I would lean toward Attack Wing. The level of customization is far better, the mission types more varied, and the combat styles of different ships more distinctive. Also, with wizkids' tournament support, it's way easier to find a game.

Concur. Star Wars seemed much more of a straight up dogfight, something, which while fun, to me quickly loses its appeal and enjoyment.Plus, only 2 sides and a very limited number of ships makes it seem a 'smaller' game.

STAW is more customizable, has a far larger assortment of ships and factions, has a number of missions available, and utilizes terrain more effectively.

If you want better looking minis, SW is the choice. If the game is your main focus, go with AW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jackowski
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
eBay. You can find old FASA and Rawcliffe metal minis there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
In the end it was a fun event and I am looking forward to next month. I'm not sure if I will be running a similar fleet or something completely different. I guess it depends on if the next event is before or after the launch of Wave 1. If I did go with something similar, I think I will drop the Apnex, or at least the Muon Wave. As cool as it is, I never got to make use of it and I could use the points elsewhere.

Thanks for sharing the report.

I think, if I was playing (and I running an event so that seems unlikely soblue ) I would be trying to play different teams each month and when there are new ships for that faction go back and play a new team for that faction........that way I get a feel for my whole collection. But that's me.

AtkinsonWH wrote:
Thank you all for the suggestions.

considering the eye "Pop" on the minatures, does anyone know where I might get some pewter models for Star Trek? was wondering if I could paint my own high quality models, like War Hammer, and use them with the game?

thoughts?

Well if you're already going to be doing painting you might not have to go the pewter route........for the most part the detail on the sculpts are quite good it's just the paint doesn't do them many favors (unless you don't like working with plastic modles).

I use the Fleet Captain album for examples of this (not mine)

by Ghorro

but we're starting to get a very nice collection of re-paints in the Attack Wing album as well. (not mine)

by madjackdeacon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sure.

I've also seen some people say that they find the details on the X-Wing Minis isn't that great when the paint in taken off (for painting purposes or the like).

Now I don't think I agree with that.

But look for yourself at the versions I posted above, don't those painted version look good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AtkinsonWH wrote:

Thoughts?

I guess it depends on where you are. Attack Wing is less punishing for the maneuvers and maybe a little easier to get into and it's easier to build in a little variety, but X-wing is a more balanced game and seems to be more popular on the whole. The number of attack dice going and some of the abilities make it so that when the dice swing in Attack Wing it can be even more unpredictable and devastating. At least that's my impression. If I were limited to just one I'd probably go with X-wing, since nothing is as satisfying as moving Ties successfully in formation through an asteroid field to get the drop on or bust up the formation of an enemy, but thankfully I don't need to make that choice.

X-wing is a bit more of an investment, since you'll need two core sets and a couple expansions to get a few solid list options going.

Personally I care more about the game than the models, but they're bad. The X-wing ones are more fragile since they have parts that are a lot smaller and more finely wrought, but FFG sent me a replacement too, no complaints, with a hand-written note. For ST-AW there are a lot of details, but they're blocky and leave out important parts of ships or just have strange issues. Two models have fallen apart from not enough glue, others have gaps and parts that don't fit that I sanded down, and the stands aren't even straight in a bunch of ships.

Here in the Ann Arbor area I dropped into a really great X-wing scene and it's been easy to get in a lot of quality play, while for Attack Wing it's been hard to get a group and get the OPs going. RedLeader19 has been working his butt off to make that happen here. So before committing to either one, check to see if there are groups in your area. If there are both, see if you can try them out or drop in, see who's more fun to play with too, as that can make a huge difference too. Frankly, if you like both franchises somewhat equally, make the decision based on the people in your area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AtkinsonWH wrote:
Thank you all for the suggestions.

considering the eye "Pop" on the minatures, does anyone know where I might get some pewter models for Star Trek? was wondering if I could paint my own high quality models, like War Hammer, and use them with the game?

thoughts?

The actual models for Attack Wing are really nice in most cases. They just need a new coat of paint. Easily managed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AtkinsonWH wrote:
I really appriciate all your reponses. I've decided to go with Star Trek AW for now and if I get bit for SW XW then I'll do that at a later time.

So this now begs the question: I'm wanting to build my own board and a Borg Cube.

Any links to such kinds of mods you find useful?

Boards are easy. 3'x3'. Look in the X-Wing game forums for ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AtkinsonWH wrote:
I really appriciate all your reponses. I've decided to go with Star Trek AW for now and if I get bit for SW XW then I'll do that at a later time.

So this now begs the question: I'm wanting to build my own board and a Borg Cube.

Any links to such kinds of mods you find useful?

Well as luck would have it WK other Star Trek game Tactics (which shares the same sculpts as Attack Wing) will be releasing their 3rd set later this month (I think it's slated for the 23rd) and it will be including the Borg.

So far there are large Tactical Cubes (might be 2 sculpts at that size), small Scout Cubes, Spheres, Assimilators and Diamonds from what we've seen so far (for actual borg ships...there are also going to be assimilated versions of other ships as well).

Here is the link to the official previewed stuff: http://heroclix.com/category/heroclix/star-trek-tactics-iii/...

That might be a good place if you can't wait for the Borg to show up in Attack Wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a board, but if you're looking for mats people are using these two, which are in and out of stock at various sites and shops. They're really nice, although the red one gets a lot more play since it's a little more subdued.
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/gf9bm002.html
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/gf9bm003.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am using a black glitter vinyl fabric I bought on Amazon. For casual play at home in the warroom we do not limit space to 3' x 3'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.