Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Preview 3 already, time is flying by. Essen is now less than a month away!

In this preview, I’m going to cover more of the general rules, and then focus on some of the cards from the Highland faction.

I’ve already covered the gameplay in Preview 1, showing how there are only 2 things you can do on your turn, but what I didn’t mention is how games start. In a standard game, each player draws an opening hand of 3 cards from their own player deck, 2 cards from the legendary deck, and 1 card from the deck of flare cards (the catch-up mechanic).
At the end of a players turn, they draw cards from the appropriate decks so they always have the same mix (3 / 2 / 1). So, if you dont play any cards, you dont draw any cards; if you play 1 of your own cards and 1 legendary, then you will draw 1 of your own and 1 legendary at the end of your turn.

When playing a team game, only one of the players draws legendary cards at the start of the game, and these cards are shared between the two players (swapping hands at the end of each turn).

The board itself starts off empty when playing with the tasks. When playing the combat mode of the game, each player begins the game with 1 common piece on a predefined space on the board, except the 4 player version, which has special setup instructions.

I think that’s about it. So, now onto some more of the beings cards. This time, we’re looking at ones from the Highland Faction.

I think David has done a great job at capturing the right feeling with these cards, with a mix of animals, shamanic highland people, and big earth creatures.

Ritual Keeper
If you don’t summon this being on a red or green square, it is a bit weak. In fact, unless you replace an enemy piece, you may aswell just place a common being on the square (unless you wanted to get rid of this card to draw another one). However, summon him on a red or green square and you get a nice bonus.

Clan Healer
A great way at getting extra pieces on the board. Very useful when played as your first action in order to then try and make the right pattern to summon another being as your second action.

Eagle Lord
I chose this card because of the theme. Not only does the effect of the card match what you think an Eagle Lord would do, but the actual pattern on the card represents the wings of the Eagle. People may think when first seeing the game that the patterns are just a random assortment of symbols, but this isn’t the case.

Mountain Troll
Gotta love this guy. He’s huge. Well, yes, I know, he still takes up 1 square on the board, but still… At the right time, this is such a great card. He arrives, kills some common pieces, you then gain an action to do something else. If one of the task cards is to kill enemy pieces, this is the card you want.

More next time on the Sylvan faction. Thanks for reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for these previews, Paul.

I have a question regarding the Troll. The grid shows adjacent red squares and the text then mentions to destroy all adjacent units. Are the red-highlighted squares a representation of that text and if so, does that mean you don't destroy the two units that are required for the summoning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Richard, the Troll only destroys enemy pieces, so your own are not affected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Mertens
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks verry interresting!

Just one things. I don't understand what is "flare cards". Could you explain? Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flare cards was the latest name for the catch-up mechanism cards. not sure this is the final name for the cards - will find out soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
PaulGrogan wrote:

How would the Mountain Troll interact with War Summoner? I'm not sure how to even approach the problem, though that's likely due to a lack of rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

How would the Mountain Troll interact with War Summoner? I'm not sure how to even approach the problem, though that's likely due to a lack of rulebook.

Oh, interesting. War Summoner says, "for the pattern of your next summon, you may use an enemy piece as your own." I assume the question is if you use an enemy piece as your own for the required adjacent piece in the Troll's summoning pattern, is that piece destroyed by the Troll?

I hope there is a nice rule to say how that is treated in general. You see these types of questions in all kinds of games' forums like Descent and Mage Knight. Just for fun, right now I'll put my $0.50 on the piece being destroyed since it says it only counts as your piece for the sake of a summoning pattern.

To play Devil's advocate, the shape in the troll card doesn't highlight those areas as red and if the text happens simultaneously to the summon, one can imagine if a piece is considered your side during the summon it is immune to 'enemy piece' rules at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good question, but fear not. This kind of thing is covered in the rulebook - possibly even this specific example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
It's a good question, but fear not. This kind of thing is covered in the rulebook - possibly even this specific example.

Oh, and here i was looking forward to a 20-page thread on this later. Well, maybe we'll still get one. Since when did rule examples stop those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
Paul G wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

Oh, interesting. War Summoner says, "for the pattern of your next summon, you may use an enemy piece as your own." I assume the question is if you use an enemy piece as your own for the required adjacent piece in the Troll's summoning pattern, is that piece destroyed by the Troll?

I hope there is a nice rule to say how that is treated in general. You see these types of questions in all kinds of games' forums like Descent and Mage Knight. Just for fun, right now I'll put my $0.50 on the piece being destroyed since it says it only counts as your piece for the sake of a summoning pattern.

To play Devil's advocate, the shape in the troll card doesn't highlight those areas as red and if the text happens simultaneously to the summon, one can imagine if a piece is considered your side during the summon it is immune to 'enemy piece' rules at that time.

Hats off, you sir, are the man! It's exactly the way you figured it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
karel_danek wrote:

Hats off, you sir, are the man! It's exactly the way you figured it out

He posted both ways! I think the text probably beats the highlight, but that "counts as your piece" should allow it to be destroyed. Seems to me that destruction makes a fraction more sense, but really it's a matter of "does the picture or text win".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Coren wrote:

Yes, very good guess. Actually, this is covered in the rulebook also because the improvised summoning (using an enemy token in your pattern) is allowed in a very limited way in three and four player melee games even without the War summoner. Oops, I am probably stealing some sneak preview material from Paul here...

In the rules, there is stressed that the enemy piece is considered your only for the pattern, not for the effect, and that the effect text is always right (it does not refer the marked spaces, so they are marked just for illustration of the effect). And there is a clear example (although with a different card than Mountain troll).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's absolutely nothing between them, mechanism-wise, but I'm getting that LOR confrontation feeling alread - which is a really good thing BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.