Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Hidden tiles variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitry Volevodz
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We have played TI a lot, and grew a bit tired of it. I would love to try something new, and something like exploring galaxy with uncertainty what lies ahead looks cool.
I have seen such variant long time ago, but can't find it. Maybe someone came up with some rules?

I mean the tiles start face down, and you go from there, exploring them and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves trundorn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
here are some tips for hidden tiles variant. (comments on pics)

some changes for "exploration rules" since this pics, but we don't use it for long now.

- each players start the game with one more command counter.
- you can "probe" a tile by using one command counter form your command pool
- you can activate an hiden tile as usual but if you don't probe it and it's a red border tile, your fleet may be destroyed (asteroid field, supernova...)
- it's impossible to go through an hidden tile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A hidden tiles variant would slightly impact on some SO, like the tech specialty ones but, hey, feel free to tune the game as you prefer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magne Ellen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This looks interesting, id like to see if my playgroup wants to try this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done this before and my group likes it. We use almost the same as the above rules with a few changes. Asteroid fields destroy only if the race does not have the tech to pass through but must get out as their next turns first action. Supernova destroys all but the Muatt who must leave next.
This variant allows for better use of the warfare secondary as you have a reason to move out and check out a tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not allow Supernova near Homeworlds in this variant. They must be placed earlier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play hidden tiles each player has six specific tiles from a set randomly distributed around their home system. I also play with 3d layouts so the players have six tiles around their home system and only three system distance to any other player's homeworld and Mecatol Rex.

I give players special 'peak' tokens I've made which they can use to peak at a tile, at a distant sun domain counter, at the next objective card, or even at a player's action card. They usually get used on tiles or domain counters.

The supernovas and other wild tiles (Hope's End, etc.) get placed around Mecatol or in other distant locations.

I recommend if you are playing hidden galaxy (that's what I call the variant) you make up sets of 'home sector' tiles with balanced resources, influence, tech specialities and number of planets. My numbers are 9R, 9I, 1BT, 1GT, 1RT, and five planets. I think Tawnos has more planets in his sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Leifr wrote:
The supernovas and other wild tiles (Hope's End, etc.) get placed around Mecatol or in other distant locations.

I see two downsides to this. One is that impassible tiles next to your home system are a mixed blessing; if none appear, every home system is inside a Warfare II/Gravity/Type IV journey of every other home system (unless you are mistakenly playing with the uneven 5p/7p layouts). Having a good red-border on one flank takes some tension off... better yet, of course, that it should appear on your opponent's flank.

The other is that you will naturally concentrate red borders around Mecatol Rex, which might actually be pretty hard to get to, and in the "knight's move" hexes which otherwise form natural bones of contention between players.

Why not instead distribute the tiles completely at random, but with defined conditions under which a revealed tile will be replaced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since one of the six tiles in each home set is an asteroid field or nebula, there is a degree of red border protection.

I've tried random, my players like the home sets.

And we usually keep the number of hazard hexes in deeper space down to a manageable minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damerell wrote:
Leifr wrote:

I see two downsides to this. One is that impassible tiles next to your home system are a mixed blessing; if none appear, every home system is inside a Warfare II/Gravity/Type IV journey of every other home system (unless you are mistakenly playing with the uneven 5p/7p layouts). Having a good red-border on one flank takes some tension off... better yet, of course, that it should appear on your opponent's flank.

The other is that you will naturally concentrate red borders around Mecatol Rex, which might actually be pretty hard to get to, and in the "knight's move" hexes which otherwise form natural bones of contention between players.

Why not instead distribute the tiles completely at random, but with defined conditions under which a revealed tile will be replaced?

The hidden tiles are shuffled and placed at random so while their is a possibility of a concentration around MR it is not likely. At most it comes down to 2 around it on average.

While the players have an idea of what they will get around their HS they do not know exactly which planets will have the tech specialties or which planet set they have until they explore.

I have found that this set-up has done wel with my different groups and keeps the board fairly even at the start. It is still the outer system not around the HS that will have the better/stronger systems so it is still needed to move out. The outer systems is also where the Artifact possibilities are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.