Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
I really need to find another game my Mom will like, 2 out of every 3 games we play is this & quite frankly I don't know if I can take it much longer. Mom has a serious case of analysis paralysis which makes this game excruciatingly long. I like long games just not this one. What she likes about it is the physical road/city building, the length of the game & the dice. I tried her on Dominion but she doesn't like that the cards you work so hard to get mean nothing in the end, that they're only to acquire the real victory cards. Carcassonne didn't go over too well either, if I remember well I think her husband found it too complicated. Mainly she just wants to build, any suggestions. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan: Easy to teach. The cards are all points at the end. They are all buildings that you build. Analysis paralysis is minimal. And... it's one of the best card games ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I've found that might work with few bits (not all building)

Carcassonne
Palazzo
California
Forbidden Island
Hotel Samoa
Long Shot
Nefarious
Taj Mahal

and Illuminati: Deluxe Edition is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes placing routes, Ticket to Ride sounds just right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Airlines Europe - where you expand airlines network, with share holding component
Power Grid - where you create your own network of power plants, with a bidding component
Steam or Railways of the World - where you develop a network of railroads, with a pick-up and deliver component
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Pedro
msg tools
mbmb
Perhaps Puerto Rico?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sunshiny wrote:
Mainly she just wants to build, any suggestions.

How about Ticket to Ride? Should be easy enough for her husband, you collect cards and then build something from it like in Settlers.

Other "building" games that come to mind are:
+1 San Juan
Sunrise City - You build a 3 dimensional city together.
Agricola (Might be a bit difficult but perhaps the family version would work)
Walnut Grove (Never played it myself but seems simpler and faster than Agricola)
Alhambra - basically a cross between Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne
Indigo - beautiful network building and very easy to explain.

Another game I generally recommend to people coming from Settlers is Bohnanza. It basically takes the trading aspect from settlers and runs with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Bass
United States
Morristown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think she'd like Kingdom Builder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Catan with my mother (a retired high school English teacher), and she thought it was basically okay.

She preferred Forbidden Island, as the game was accessible without needing to memorize many rules, and she never felt like she was at some kind of disadvantage relative to others at the table.

However, the game she actually REQUESTS? That would be King of Tokyo. Maybe it's the simple dice-rolling mechanics. Maybe it's the fact that you get to play as a giant Kung Fu panda or 60-foot mechanical pink bunny rabbit. Maybe it's the simple, cathartic glee of destroying a major metropolitan area and laying waste to friends and family. Whatever it is, my mom can't get enough King of Tokyo.

When playing games with a parent, particularly if you are an adult, I find it's best to steer clear of traditionally "gamer" games. Instead, look for games that you enjoy that are marketed more to lower age groups.

Keep in mind, although my mother is one of the most intelligent women I have ever met, if not THE most intelligent, she approaches board games from with the assumption that this is too complicated for her. To my mother, she is an outsider to a world that is vast and alien. In my experience, many adults (older adults in particular) are the same way. They basically have three assumptions when they see a new game:

1) This is too complicated and I won't be able to understand it.
2) If I do understand it, I won't be able to play competitively.
3) I'm going to make a ton of mistakes and look stupid.

The easiest way to combat this kind of thinking is to either pick a game where the rules are so simple they CAN'T make a lot of mistakes, or to know the rules so well that you can teach them in a way that makes the game seem simpler than it really is. Also, make sure to point out and celebrate good plays early on and praise them for demonstrating a good understanding of the rules, as this will help cement their learning of rules while also building the confidence they need to have a good time playing. Last, but not least, keep a running commentary of what's going on in the game to keep them engaged in other people's turn and on your turn explain what you can do, what you are doing, and why you are doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Stone Age or Kingsburg?

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maori should probabyl work.
Only about 45 min though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ticket to Ride: Europe for family fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
moujamou wrote:
Ticket to Ride: Europe for family fun.

I would stick with the original (ie USA map) as there are less rules - no tunnels or stations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Add Catan: Cities & Knights?

Might freshen up the game for you and let her build even more things. Having said that if Settlers is going too long then perhaps adding something that makes it longer may not be the way to go!

What about Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. It has rolling dice and building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sunshiny wrote:
Carcassonne didn't go over too well either, if I remember well I think her husband found it too complicated.

If Carcassonne is too complicated, that rules out about 95% of the good Euro games. Seriously, they don't come much simpler than Caracassonne, and most of the recommendations offered so far, while they are great games, are more complicated.

Perhaps Manhattan will work.

Another possibility is Cityscape
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trans Europa or TransAmerica are light route building with cards, no dice. I think what I like most about this game is that each round feels like a mini game, so everyone can have a chance at winning. Short play time too, your first play probably wont take more than an hour.

My mom is really into Kingdom Builder. She likes the simplicity of being told (by card draw) what type of terrain to play on, then just plop down 3 houses to grow your cities, everything else is extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 ticket to ride
+1 Roll through the ages

both are really simple and seem to go well with non-gamers too.
Agricola not so much, even the family version nobody wants to play, just because you have to feed your people and all the scoring rules are too much.

7 wonders perhaps? Although I feel ticket to ride is your best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Despres
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Saints are 4-4!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

Perhaps Manhattan will work.

Agreed, this probably fits in perfectly with the OP's needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Ticket to Ride for the building part=) and it's also a nice game and easy to play.

The others I don't know but building in San Juan is just cards and in Alhambra just tiles. That may not appeal to her, even though I like those games.

I would go with Ticket to Ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TtR is a good idea, but you're going to run into more frustration from her AP. That game is already longer than it should be, and with an AP-proned player, it will be painful, just like SoC.

I recommend a quicker--and more appropriately-timed--alternative to TtR:

China

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll try Ticket To Ride, Stone Age, or Puerto Rico. I'd try San Juan but my husband isn't too keen on it. The game has to be fairly simple as her husband has a touch of geezerdom & is not too up on learning new stuff. It can't be a coop as both of them like to shark it out. I'll have to reread the rules for Sunrise City maybe that would work. I have to be careful about the reading in the games, my Mom's husband while speaking english very well, reading it is another matter. Agricola would probably be perfect for her but he would most likely tune out, he tends to like total luck fests while she's somewhat more strategy minded. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sunshiny wrote:
I think I'll try Ticket To Ride, Stone Age, or Puerto Rico. I'd try San Juan but my husband isn't too keen on it. The game has to be fairly simple as her husband has a touch of geezerdom & is not too up on learning new stuff. It can't be a coop as both of them like to shark it out. I'll have to reread the rules for Sunrise City maybe that would work. I have to be careful about the reading in the games, my Mom's husband while speaking english very well, reading it is another matter. Agricola would probably be perfect for her but he would most likely tune out, he tends to like total luck fests while she's somewhat more strategy minded. Thanks for all the suggestions.

If he thought Carcassonne was too complex, just skip Puerto Rico - it's a bigger, more complex version of San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be dreaming on PR but I find the game quite easy. I'm pretty much leaning towards Stone Age, Ticket To Ride or maybe Finca, it's so pretty my Mom would probably go for it. I just finished reading Sunrise City & that's out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! is sort of the anti-Catan. You don't settle the island; you evacuate it! It's got some of the same physical aesthetics (modular tiles, wooden pieces in player colors, dice), but very different mechanisms, and the play is faster and funnier.

If it's the building thing your mom likes, you might actually consider The Castles of Burgundy. It's really not very complicated, and it has a similar luck element without the Settlers-style feelings of deprivation. Still, you mention serious AP issues, and I don't think Castles will improve on Settlers in that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sunshiny wrote:
I might be dreaming on PR but I find the game quite easy. I'm pretty much leaning towards Stone Age, Ticket To Ride or maybe Finca, it's so pretty my Mom would probably go for it. I just finished reading Sunrise City & that's out.

Finca is a fantastic idea. I thought about it for you, but since it doesn't technically have "building", I skipped it.

If you're open to more of a set-collection/pick-up-and-deliver using a rondel mechanic, then Finca is your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.