msg tools
Prodigy

Common 1
Card Name: Keep your friends close
Team: Young Avengers
Card Type: Instinct
Recruit: 2+
Power: n/a
Card Text: Young Avenger: You gain +1 Recruit for every other Young Avenger played this turn.
Cost: 3
Origin Idea: Prodigy was a leader of the New X-men for awhile and before he lost his mutant powers needed to be surrounded by people to maximize his powers.

Common 2
Card Name: I Know What You Are Thinking
Team: Young Avengers
Card Type: Covert
Recruit: n/a
Power: 1+
Card Text: Reveal the top card of the Villain Deck. If it's a Villain, you get +Power equal to its printed Victory Points.
Young Avengers: You may fight the revealed Villain this turn.
Cost: 4
Origin Idea: Prodigys powers were never limited to just his allies and thus I thought he could play off his enemies strengths as well.

Uncommon
Card Name: Unlocked Potential
Team: Young Avenger
Recruit: 2
Power: 2+
Card Text: Instinct: You get +1 Power for every Hero you have recruited this turn.
Cost: 5
Origin Idea: Prodigy lost his powers but the Cuckoos unlocked the memory of the skills he had copied before M Day so he could still be a (amazingly) help to the X-men.

Rare
Card Name: Everyones A Teacher
Team: Young Avenger
Recruit: n/a
Attack: 0+
Card Text: You get +1 Power for each Hero you played this turn and +1 Power for each Villain in the city.
Young Avenger: You get +1 Power for each Mastermind Tactic still in the Tactics deck.
Cost: 9
Origin Idea: Prodigy learned from everyone, tried to play that up.

UPDATE 01
Changed one of the commons with help from SamuraiWindu. Also changed the Rare up a lot so it would not be a bargain basement version of Rogues.

UPDATE 02
Fixed some wording to make the cards seems more standardized with the core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grabowski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You have done an excellent job making the card abilities reflect their Hero's powers. This is a very important quality of immersion that is too often overlooked by novice designers. Bravo for that. Most of these cards also seem to have an appropriate cost for their effects. Well done for that as well. However, the set as a whole appears to lack internal synergies. What I mean by this is that few cards benefit from other cards in the set. The only card that benefits from playing other cards in the set is "Keep your friends close", which keys off the new (Young Avengers) icon. Synergies are what make the game fun and interesting and I always look for ways to play cards off each other. Speaking of new team icons, I think it is important to have at least five Heroes that use the same team icon. Otherwise the opportunity for team synergies will be lacking. This doesn't seem to be a problem since there are plenty of Young Avengers to choose from. We just need to get busy creating them. These next points may be nitpicking, but the card effects seem a little bland as they are obvious (often weaker) rehashes of other cards. Also the name of the second common "But your enemies closer" can seem out of place if you don't have the first common "Keep your friends close". Maybe a name like "I Know What Your Thinking" would be more fitting. Also capitalizing words like "Villain Deck" and "Hero" is the standard convention for card effects in order to signify those specific game mechanics.

One specific criticism of "Unlocked Potential" is that the card effect as written invalidates the card's color; it effectively looses it's color to adopt the color of the card it copies. Also, the restriction of only copying "the last Hero you played" as opposed to "[any other] Hero you played this turn" hardly justifies a decrease in cost. You can simply play the card you want to copy before playing "Unlocked Potential", and in practice this is usually what I see happen anyway when people play Rogue's "Copy Powers". I do like the change to (Instinct) as Prodigy's powers come from extra sensory abilities as opposed to a conscious action like Rogue's powers being triggered by physical touch. It may be more appropriate to make this card's effects a carbon copy of "Copy Powers" except for its color.

Overall, this is a decent set of cards that could probably benefit from a little tweaking. Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mav man
msg tools
SamuraiWindu wrote:
You have done an excellent job making the card abilities reflect their Hero's powers. This is a very important quality of immersion that is too often overlooked by novice designers. Bravo for that. Most of these cards also seem to have an appropriate cost for their effects. Well done for that as well. However, the set as a whole appears to lack internal synergies. What I mean by this is that few cards benefit from other cards in the set. The only card that benefits from playing other cards in the set is "Keep your friends close", which keys off the new (Young Avengers) icon. Synergies are what make the game fun and interesting and I always look for ways to play cards off each other. Speaking of new team icons, I think it is important to have at least five Heroes that use the same team icon. Otherwise the opportunity for team synergies will be lacking. This doesn't seem to be a problem since there are plenty of Young Avengers to choose from. We just need to get busy creating them. These next points may be nitpicking, but the card effects seem a little bland as they are obvious (often weaker) rehashes of other cards. Also the name of the second common "But your enemies closer" can seem out of place if you don't have the first common "Keep your friends close". Maybe a name like "I Know What Your Thinking" would be more fitting. Also capitalizing words like "Villain Deck" and "Hero" is the standard convention for card effects in order to signify those specific game mechanics.

One specific criticism of "Unlocked Potential" is that the card effect as written invalidates the card's color; it effectively looses it's color to adopt the color of the card it copies. Also, the restriction of only copying "the last Hero you played" as opposed to "[any other] Hero you played this turn" hardly justifies a decrease in cost. You can simply play the card you want to copy before playing "Unlocked Potential", and in practice this is usually what I see happen anyway when people play Rogue's "Copy Powers". I do like the change to (Instinct) as Prodigy's powers come from extra sensory abilities as opposed to a conscious action like Rogue's powers being triggered by physical touch. It may be more appropriate to make this card's effects a carbon copy of "Copy Powers" except for its color.

Overall, this is a decent set of cards that could probably benefit from a little tweaking. Well done.

This was actually my first created hero and as I have gotten deeper into the game I have noticed that internal synergy that you mentioned. This is something I need to work on for sure all on my builds (this one as well)

I do plan on making several other Young Avengers once I work out my first card/hero submissions.

The card name part was all a play on words so renaming it most likely makes more sense, after all other heroes do not have names that build off each other (to my knowledge)

Thank you for the feedback
I will go back and try to tweak them into a better set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grabowski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
After submitting this critique, and upon returning from the bathroom, a cohesive alternative for "But your enemies closer" came to mind.

Name: I Know What Your Thinking
Rarity: Common
Team Icon: [Young Avengers]
Hero Type Icon: [Covert] (or potentially [Instinct])
Recruit: None
Power: 1+
Cost: 4
Special Ability:
Reveal the top card of the Villain Deck. If it's a Villain, you get +[Power] equal to its printed [Victory Points].
[Young Avengers]: You may fight that Villain this turn.

The wording is modeled more closely after the Punisher's common "Hail of Bullets". It also synergizes with the Young Avengers team without overpowering the effect for its cost. I am torn between making the color Covert or Instinct. On one hand, it makes sense that it would be Instinct because Prodigy's ability to anticipate enemy attacks is due to his ability to read minds, hence it is an extrasensory ability. But I am leaning toward Covert because this use of his ability relies on deception and clever battle tactics. Also, I think the set would be more balanced if it has at least one type of card that had a different color than the rest of the cards. I am guessing that this is a similar line of reasoning you used when designing "But your enemies closer".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mav man
msg tools
as you can see i did a rather heavy overhaul of the whole set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grabowski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I really like these changes. His uncommon and rare really feel unique. It is hard to tell how well they are balanced to their cost since there is little to compare them to, but I think you are on the right track. Excellent work! The only suggestions I have at this point are mostly trivial, but I figure they are worth mentioning. Official Legendary cards use certain language patterns to describe different effects. For example, whenever a card grants extra (Power) or (Recruit), it says "you get +..." The only time card effect says "you gain" is when you gain a Wound. Also, I have never seen an official card refer to a "city track". I have seen "city spaces" or just "city". It may be better to model the wording of "Everyone's A Teacher" after the Human Torch's rare "Nova Flame". You can see it here: http://upperdeckstore.com/entertainment/fantastic-four-legen...#

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mav man
msg tools
fixed some of the wordings and will be doing the same to my other submitted cards. Then I will start working on my other Young Avengers to make a complete team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.