Hide
16 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Extra Armor Sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Russell
msg tools
I got in as a late backer, so I can't ask this in the comments section. I pledged Survivor, plus all the extra monsters. My question is, is there a reason to pledge for the extra armor sets that the extra bosses provide, ie. Dragon armor. For instance, if I have group of players that are all male, is it likely that they will all have the same type of armor, or will the armor of the surviors vary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Extra armour sets are entirely up to you.

Considering there are 6 players and you only get 4 sets of armour with each creature (IIRC), there is the first reason to potentially get some more.

I believe those getting extra sets are for general hobby related things such as kit-bashing, painting and using in other fantasy miniature games.

I'm sure some of your male friends will play a female survivor. Trust me, there is always one :-D

As for armour sets being different. That is totally up to you. Your players may only hunt a certain monster once and move on, meaning you will never have the materials to make a complete armour set, much less extras. Your players may also spend all the resources in the village on on weapons.

So yea, when it comes to armour sets, there are so many options out there. The biggest thing to remember is that IIRC, the armour sets were a kickstarter only thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KD:M is kinda like the Monster Hunter console game, so some characters probably will want to be in different Armor sets for best overall team performance.

For example, Dragon might give the best Attack, Phoenix might give the best Defense, and Antelope might give the best Healing. If that's the case, being all Dragon would sacrifice Healing and Defense capabilities.

Maybe, for some Monsters, that extra Attack is valuable. But maybe not.

And probably, for an end Boss, the design will want a variety of sets combined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also depends on how much you care whether the minis are totally representative of the items they have equipped. You could have a mini made up with Gorm armor, but as long as you have the dragon armor cards equipped, that's all that matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Russell
msg tools
GrauGeist wrote:
KD:M is kinda like the Monster Hunter console game, so some characters probably will want to be in different Armor sets for best overall team performance.

For example, Dragon might give the best Attack, Phoenix might give the best Defense, and Antelope might give the best Healing. If that's the case, being all Dragon would sacrifice Healing and Defense capabilities.

Maybe, for some Monsters, that extra Attack is valuable. But maybe not.

And probably, for an end Boss, the design will want a variety of sets combined.

Is it known for sure that the different armor sets give different abilities? I just want to make sure that they aren't each a gradual progression from the previous armor set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
khorgor wrote:
Your players may only hunt a certain monster once and move on, meaning you will never have the materials to make a complete armour set, much less extras.

Where did you see this? I was under the understanding monsters could be hunted multiple times, especially considering the fact that each monster has 3 levels of difficulty.

Since you start the game fighting a Lvl 1 White Lion, it wouldn't make sense if you can only hunt a monster once, because then you'd never have the chance to even use the Lvl 2 or Lvl 3 cards for the White Lion, know what I mean?

So far it's sounded more like Monster Hunter, where all the monsters can be hunted as often as you care to attempt them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
khorgor wrote:
Your players may only hunt a certain monster once and move on, meaning you will never have the materials to make a complete armour set, much less extras.

Where did you see this? I was under the understanding monsters could be hunted multiple times, especially considering the fact that each monster has 3 levels of difficulty.

Since you start the game fighting a Lvl 1 White Lion, it wouldn't make sense if you can only hunt a monster once, because then you'd never have the chance to even use the Lvl 2 or Lvl 3 cards for the White Lion, know what I mean?

So far it's sounded more like Monster Hunter, where all the monsters can be hunted as often as you care to attempt them.

I fully expect certain monsters to be hunted, but I don't expect everybody in a single group to all have armor sets from a single monster type. Remember that the items you get off of monsters aren't only used for armor, but for weapons, potions, etc, etc. So, I think it will be the case of the group using the spoils for a combination of armor and settlement boosts rather than being able to outfit the entire group.

As mentioned above, it matters not what is physically on the figures but what cards are occupying the character console. I wouldn't sweat getting addition armor sets personally.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Russell
msg tools
Well, models being representative is pretty important to me, so maybe I should order an extra set of some just to be safe. I was thinking of getting double pinups for some models anyways, so I might just get an extra Dragon King since he comes with dragon armor and is only $5 more, and an extra Gorm since it comes with extra armor and a pinup for the same price, so I get a Gorm for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joshuar56 wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:

Is it known for sure that the different armor sets give different abilities? I just want to make sure that they aren't each a gradual progression from the previous armor set.

For sure? No, but it's hinted at. Hence, me using "probably", "might", "if". But it's the vibe I get from what I see.

I'm sure there is progression in some ways, but I don't think it'll be a pure step each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
joshuar56 wrote:

Yes. Or at least the designers stated objective is for things to be useful later.

Adam Poots wrote:
In some cases what people might consider "low level gear" from easier to kill monsters might be more viable then "high level" gear from harder monsters. I personally do not like games that have a smooth and easy level advancement to follow.

He then suggests that the utility of particular items of gear would be dependant on the monster you were facing.

We know this happens in a reasonably crude way with the Lion's Whisker Harp, which is more efficient against Lions, but he Implied you'd probably want a different set up for facing a Level 3 Phoenix than you'd want verses a generic monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
khorgor wrote:

Sorry, I meant "you may choose to hunt a monster once and move on"

So yes, you can hunt the same thing multiple times. Sorry for the confusion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
khorgor wrote:
Elyklord wrote:
khorgor wrote:

Of course if the Lion Knight shows up because you were hunting too many lions, things can get pretty nasty quick. zombie

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
khorgor wrote:
Elyklord wrote:
khorgor wrote:

Of course if the Lion Knight shows up because you were hunting too many lions, things can get pretty nasty quick. zombie

-Ski

I think The Lion God is what turns up in those situations.

The Knights are like the King's Hand or Spidecules and turn up during the Settlement phase I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:

The Knights are like the King's Hand or Spidecules and turn up during the Settlement phase I think.

You're right, the Lion Knight attacks if the settlement is too belligerent. My bad....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Collard
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
dahak wrote:

You're right, the Lion Knight attacks if the settlement is too belligerent. My bad....

-Ski

Am I correct in thinking that some characters can show up as neutral/friendly encounters? I got the impression that if the settlement was belligerent then the Lion Knight would attack, but that he could potentially show up and not attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheshire Swift wrote:
Teamski wrote:
dahak wrote:

-Ski

Am I correct in thinking that some characters can show up as neutral/friendly encounters? I got the impression that if the settlement was belligerent then the Lion Knight would attack, but that he could potentially show up and not attack.

From what I understand, yes, you can have something good happen as well. A Knight's Hand could show up and add a baby to the settlement. The Lion Knight could also help the settlement out as well.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.