United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Was doing a bit of online research this evening on the 19th Indiana. Don Troiani recently released a new print on the 19th Indiana at Gettysburg entitled "The Black Hats". I already own several of his works including the one he did about 10 years ago on the 24th Michigan called the Iron Brigade. Now the 19th Indiana and 24th Michigan fought side by side at Gettysburg on July 1st. Not only that but the two paintings showcase events that happened just about simultaneously within a rock's throw of each other. So with all that and an open spot on the wall in the same room as the Iron Brigade print, I picked up the new Troiani 19th Indiana. Here are the two prints.

In my internet search on the 19th Indiana I came across this website. Now the web is full of websites about the civil war. You can't swing an artillery swab without hitting one. This website however I found a bit different. It's not just a very good website on the history of the 19th Indiana. As a history website on the regiment it's stellar. However it takes it a step farther. Here's the url.

http://www.19thindianaironbrigade.com/

Aside from the history the website's owner is literally putting his money where his mouth is. He is helping and in many cases paying out of his own pocket to replace the worn and damaged headstones of the men of the 19th Indiana. This effort to replace these headstones has been ongoing for a number of years and dozens of headstones have been replaced. It's one thing to read about these men and it's another thing to go to the length this man has gone. Check the site out.

Don't miss the battlefield photos section by the way. Great pictures and maps showing the movements of the 19th Indiana at Antietam, Brawner's Farm (Bull Run) and Gettysburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice paintings! Craig Dunn has a book called "Iron Men, Iron Will: The Nineteenth Indiana Regiment of the Iron Brigade."

I have read it. It is a fairly good book that reads like a detailed unit history. You should look for it.

Craig Dunn has a collection of over 3,000 identified pictures of Indiana Civil War soldiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.