Subject: Initiating debates rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curtis Mitchell
United States
Mount Vernon
Iowa
flag msg tools
Can a player initiate a debate in a language zone which has no spaces of the opposing religion? For example, if there are no Protestant spaces in England, can the Pope still start a theological debate in England (which has weaker debaters overall) and use their victory to flip spaces in Germany?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules:

"All spaces flipped must be in the language zone in which
the debate was held if possible. Once all spaces in the chosen
language zone are flipped to the winning denomination, additional
hits are then used to flip spaces in any other language zone.
Spaces flipped to Protestant influence must be eligible for a Reformation
attempt as specified in Step 1 of the Reformation Procedure.
Spaces flipped to Catholic influence must be eligible for
a Counter Reformation attempt as specified in Step 1 of the
Counter Reformation Procedure."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I cannot wait to play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Mitchell
United States
Mount Vernon
Iowa
flag msg tools
This doesn't quite answer my question -- I may not have phrased it well. What I'm wondering is whether, once Tyndale (for example) appears, the Pope can target debates at the English language zone even though there's no Protestant presence there? This seems to substantially weaken Luther's "Here I Stand" ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Curtis: Yes that is true. If you read the bio of Tyndale in the Scenario Book, you'll see he was trying to start the Reformation in England almost single-handedly, at that time against the wishes of Henry VIII. He had some success ... until he was caught by Hapsburg agents and burnt at the stake.

The same risk and dynamic is there in the game with him appearing as the only Anglican debater on Turn 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Mitchell
United States
Mount Vernon
Iowa
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification. Poor Tyndale!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albin Menant
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
I anderstand the historical ground, but in the end the result is highly anti historical and destroys a very interesting and historical gameplay.

The pope has all interest until reform comes to england (so for 2 or 3 turns or more) to call for debates ONLY in England, where there is a 2 points debater never defended. Even 4 debates per turn in england, always having more dice. It also makes the power of protestant here I stand card void for half the game, and make unuseful the big amount of german and French debater.

The question was good. Allowing to flip spaces in other language zones is one thing, allowing a debate when no space is protestant is another...

I think more historical issue would be to allow to flip spaces in other language zone, but half of the result. No, in the XVIth century a theological debate in angland in english doesn't have the same impact as a theological debate in Germany in German...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
bbounty1 wrote:
Even 4 debates per turn in england, always having more dice.

Four debates in a turn is 12 CPs. And if the Pope can do four debates, that means he flipped no more than two spaces in the first three debates (otherwise Tyndale would have burned -> no more English debates before Cranmer appears). For the same price he could have gotten 12 Counter-Reformation attempts or 2½ VP from Saint Peter's.

When playing Luther, I always make it a point to get a North Sea port as soon as possible to make debating Tyndale less attractive, and then cross my fingers he gets burnt at the stake on the first debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbounty1 wrote:
I anderstand the historical ground, but in the end the result is highly anti historical and destroys a very interesting and historical gameplay.

The pope has all interest until reform comes to england (so for 2 or 3 turns or more) to call for debates ONLY in England, where there is a 2 points debater never defended. Even 4 debates per turn in england, always having more dice. It also makes the power of protestant here I stand card void for half the game, and make unuseful the big amount of german and French debater.

The question was good. Allowing to flip spaces in other language zones is one thing, allowing a debate when no space is protestant is another...

I think more historical issue would be to allow to flip spaces in other language zone, but half of the result. No, in the XVIth century a theological debate in angland in english doesn't have the same impact as a theological debate in Germany in German...

Considering that Tyndale was historically burned at the stake for heresy and the Pope's vested interest in debating him has a great chance of causing that to happen, I would disagree that it is anti-historical.

Edit:
Also: what Kristian said.

Edit:
Also, using Here I Stand in a debate is pretty much the worst possible use of the card. Even just using it as 5 CP is often stronger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
chrisdk wrote:
Considering that Tyndale was historically burned at the stake for heresy and the Pope's vested interest in debating him has a great chance of causing that to happen, I would disagree that it is anti-historical.

You could argue that the four-debates-in-a-turn scenario is an alternate history where the Pope realizes that it suits his purposes better to not burn Tyndale at the stake, but rather let him run around Germany trying to raise support for the reformation in England, thereby causing diplomatic embarrassment to the German princes who have to side publicly with Catholicism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Or spends a great deal of church resources trying to ineffectually prosecute Tyndale's heresy, while ignoring other pressing concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.