12 Posts

D-Day at Omaha Beach» Forums » General

Subject: Mounted board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao Pedro
msg tools
mbmb
Having a mounted board is a deal breaker for me.

Does the 2nd edition come with a mounted board? If not, are there plans to release one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Bornhäußer
Germany
Deutschland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
no. It is just a paper....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Buy a piece of plexiglass and put it over the paper. I don't miss having a mounted board (for one thing, the box is a lot smaller and lighter due to this). Btw, this is the ONLY game I own without a mounted board, so it's not like I'm some paper map freak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris cymru
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I actually prefer a paper map for war games. I use plexi and don't have to worry about the board warping. If a paper map is the deal breaker you are going to miss out on some great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After opening Nations at War: Desert Heat and the deluxe edition of World at War: Eisenbach Gap, both heavy boxes with mounted boards, it was a little underwhelming to then open D-Day at Omaha Beach. I console myself, however, with the confidence that there is a complex, rich gaming experience in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisCymru wrote:
.... If a paper map is the deal breaker you are going to miss out on some great games.

Totally...there are some top notch war games out there and all they come on is paper. Play enough war games and you will find out owning a big sheet of plexi is as important as a good pair of tweezers.

If the fact that D-day does not come mounted would stop you from playing it, then it's possibly not the game for you anyways.

It's like saying; "I know that is the best ice cream in the world but I won't eat it because it's in a bowl and not on a cone"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion a paper map under plexiglass looks as good, if not better, than any mounted map. The $15 - $20 investment in a 24x36 sheet is something you won't regret. Once you get that first game set up with the map under acrylic you will say to yourself, "Damn that looks good. I feel more like a general already." To me it adds to the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mounted under plexi looks best....zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

I prefer mounted boards.

Nonetheless, once you get into the game, it is nothing. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Robinson
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the map too big to fit in a standard poster frame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"A Truth thats told with bad intent Beats all the Lies you can invent It is right it should be so Man was made for Joy & Woe And when this we rightly know Thro the World we safely go Joy & Woe are woven fine A Clothing for the soul divine ."
mbmb
rlux202 wrote:
In my opinion a paper map under plexiglass looks as good, if not better, than any mounted map. The $15 - $20 investment in a 24x36 sheet is something you won't regret. Once you get that first game set up with the map under acrylic you will say to yourself, "Damn that looks good. I feel more like a general already." To me it adds to the experience.

Not to mention the ease of using easy-erase markers for analysis during the game...or defining the area where one side sets up...then wipe the perimeter lines right off.

A couple games using easy-erase markers to plan your strategy will make you feel underdressed without your own field marshal head cover!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my D-Day at Omaha Beach in this frame that have a plexi on top to use the standard map games. Maybe those who don´t like paper maps can build one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.