Subject: Initial hex placement in 3-player games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
glauco bacchi
United Kingdom
coventry
West Mids
flag msg tools
In a three player game the first three hexes that the players placed during set-up were placed so that each one touched the central hex but none of them touched each other. This caused problems during the game because any new hexes placed during Exploration had to match three sides of the hexes already in play and we struggled to find any that did. A lot of Explore actions ended in failure which was not much fun.

Just something to watch out for, that's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Ochoa
Spain
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you only need to match 2 sides of the new tile with the existing ones. That's not very difficult, even for a 2 player game (all my games are 2 player) when the start tiles are even more separated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glauco bacchi
United Kingdom
coventry
West Mids
flag msg tools
Victor, imagine the initial hex with three evenly spaced adjacent hexes. During the game you must add hexes so they touch at least two hex-sides but with this particular layout the only spaces where a hex can be legally placed FORCE the new hex to touch on three sides, making a match much less likely.

In a two player game there will inevitably be some larger gaps where new hexes need only touch two sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, this is a particular challenge in 3 player games when each of the players chooses to isolate his or her starting tile from the others.

In a 4 player game the 'filling' of one of the three spaces tends to provide more placement options, at least for the two players who share a border.

I think that it's ok in a 3 player game, provided everyone realises that exploration will carry additional risks, especially during the initial couple of turns. The additional risk may result in alternative action selections by the players, but they will soon be required to expand. Then, it's a matter of luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Ochoa
Spain
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
glaucobacchi wrote:
Victor, imagine the initial hex with three evenly spaced adjacent hexes. During the game you must add hexes so they touch at least two hex-sides but with this particular layout the only spaces where a hex can be legally placed FORCE the new hex to touch on three sides, making a match much less likely.

In a two player game there will inevitably be some larger gaps where new hexes need only touch two sides.

You are right. I misunderstood your initial post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.