Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
May the Holy Grail protect me from these evil deeds!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I tried this the other day for the first time. Any reason the hero player shouldn't play with two Heros instead of just one which would take 2 turns each round?

It seems to make sense that the Hero player would play two heros instead..

Thanks for your feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
Much Hadham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No reason, except that the hero player will be doing twice the work. 3 player games (2 heroes and Sauron) are the best, but don't forget that this is a semi co-operative game and part of the fun is when you consult with your partner and exchange ideas. Also Sauron is supposed to listen when the heroes plan their next moves. When one player controls two heroes, Sauron loses that advantage (unless the hero player is Gollum crazy and talks to himself)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnaks for the reply mak.

So in your opinion, would you rather play 2-player as 2 or as 3?

Also, can you tell me why 3 is better than 4 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
Much Hadham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rather play with 3 players. In a 2 player game, the hero has the advantage since he can move twice and Sauron can't predict his moves while in a 4 player game Sauron is more preferable to win since he makes 3 actions. A 3 player game is more balanced. If you can't find a third player, have one player control 2 heroes (or play another more solid 2 player game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks a lot for your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 2-player as 2-p, 3-p and 4-p. 3-p version is probably the best, but in terms of balance, pure 2-p has been the closest:

1-Hero: wins 16-14 in favor of Sauron
2-Hero: wins 23-7 for Sauron
3-Hero: 5-0 for Sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm going to play with only two players, I prefer one of the players to just control 2 hero characters while the other controls Sauron. I just don't like the One Hero character vs Sauron game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big fan of this game! I have played near 100 times. I agree with a lot of the answers on this post.

2- players

Heroes have a huge advantage. Especially if the hero is Berevor. She is the farthest from Sauron at the start and hard to trap and hassle. When playing two people (1 hero) I suggest playing Elenor, Thalin or Argalad. What ever hero you pick, your basically getting double fortitude. We use to play just 1 hero games, the player playing the hero would draw his fortitude, encounter his location, then draw his fortitude again. With tons of cards in hand no place is to far, to enemy is to tough.

3 Player game

I do beleive this is how the game was meant to be played. No real advantage on the hero's side nor Sauron. Play it this way! weather with 2 or 3 people.

4 Player game

In my own opinion this is the funnest way to play. I like playing a hero in a 4 player game because it presents the most challenge for any hero. Why is it so challenging? Because Sauron gets three actions, it may not seem like much, but it's more than enough to Harass all the hero's and protect his plots. This version is also fun because you have two teamates two work with. The key is to try and stay close to each other and work together to take down minions and remove influence. If each hero is off doing his own things Sauron will have a field day. Would Frodo have made it on his own? No, he had/needed companions.

Also, after playing a few games i suggest using the Advance Dominance variant found near the back of the rulebook. It states:

A side is considered to be dominant if, given the game’s current
state, it would require fewer Story steps for the side to reach
the Finale than its opponent. This is calculated by simulating a
number of Story steps until a side has reached the Finale with
Sauron’s active Plot cards remaining in play.

The High Stakes variant is also something to look at:

This optional rule is intended for players who desire more
opportunities for a losing side to catch up during stage III.
Simply make the following rules changes:
• If the Heroes are dominant during stage III, Sauron may
decide which of his three markers is advanced each time he
defeats a hero (instead of advancing his lowest marker).
• If Sauron is dominant during stage III, the heroes advance
their story marker one space on the Story Track each time they
defeat a minion.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joefling34 wrote:
When playing two people (1 hero) I suggest playing Elenor, Thalin or Argalad. What ever hero you pick, your basically getting double fortitude.

I would never, ever suggest Thalin. You're very, very likely to be screwed on the first turn with Peril -> Corruption and be on a downward slide for the rest of the game. If you get his Blue Mountains Starting Quest, you're looking at 3-4 turns (realistically) to complete it. Could always ignore it (if you don't have the Mission to complete S and A Quests), but your movement in the south will still be painfully slow and favors might not be around. Regardless, Wisdom 1 means 2 influence turns a location into Perilous, Sauron will be cycling through that Peril deck multiple times per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot guys. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed! However, for the ultimate challenge - Pick Thalin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.